OP
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
So, here I am: this store is bigger than the Philadelphia store, and it's very Brooklyn, with two floors (and supposedly expanding at some point). I could say more, but I'm still walking around the place in a pleasant stupor...
Hard To Miss: Just look up.
Hard To Miss: Just look up.
Inside: Did I mention "very Brooklyn?"
Inside: Did I mention "very Brooklyn?"
Yes, I Just Had To: With Spurgeon Dunbar.
Yes, I Just Had To: With Spurgeon Dunbar.
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I'm gonna be in NY next month. I'll have to peek in!
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
UTC quote
Another reason to visit NY besides B&H. But so many people.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
Spurge! Clap emoticon And you're wearing one of Ironfoot's t-shirts.
OP
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
Guzzi Gal wrote:
Spurge! Clap emoticon And you're wearing one of Ironfoot's t-shirts.
Sharp eye! (Need more shirts from him at some point.) And Spurge is truly a cool guy. Brandon is supposed to be at the store tomorrow; if I have a tech gig in town, I'll find an excuse to slip by.
⚠️ Last edited by amateriat on UTC; edited 2 times
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
Sharp eye! (Need more shorts from him at some point.) And Spurge is truly a cool guy. Brandon is supposed to be at the store tomorrow; if I have a tech gig in town, I'll find an excuse to slip by.
My husband and I have that shirt along with some other Ironfoot goodies!

I'll be super if you get pics with Brandon, too.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
This makes me sad.

CoMoto owns Revzilla, Cycle Gear, and J&P Cycles

The sheer buying power from the volume they do gets them extreme discounts from suppliers/distributors, meaning it's very easy for them to price out the independent mom and pop shop.

It's not so much that your local Uncle Terry and Aunt Barb indie shop is trying to stick it to you, it's that products actually cost them a lot more (sometimes as much as 25% more) to buy than what Revzilla/the CoMoto brands pay.

The result is it getting harder and harder for Uncle Terry and Aunt Barb to stay in business.

As a motorcycle content creator of over a decade, Revzilla has reached out on many occasions to invite me to join their affiliate partner program, where I would make money by referring people to Revzilla Bleh emoticon They even sent me an email saying I was approved for partnership, which is funny because I never applied and refuse to play ball with them.

This post isn't to try to tell anyone where or how you should or shouldn't spend your money, nor to say the Rev staff are bad (I like them and miss Lemmy). Just something to get you thinking the next time you read a thread mentioning very few options for local motorcycle or Vespa service and wonder why that is.

Evil empire can keep the money it tries to offer me, and I'll keep mine. You guys do whatever you feel is right.
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250
UTC quote
Yes. But the problem, if it is one, is much bigger than Revzilla. Amazon sells products and delivers them quickly, as do people like Dennis Kirk.

And what do you do when you need a jacket or some other outer wear? I bought a really nice leather jacket from Leatherup for about $150. Since it is Chinese I wasn't expecting a Schott Brothers (oh, about $800 these days) but I don't ride that much anymore, I wasn't expecting a lifetime garment. I got it, it has some body armor and has metal snaps and zippers.

Maybe you can cough up $500 for a leather jacket, I can't. My current helmet, an HJC, cost me around $90 from Kirk. The one it replaced and bought at a dealer, also an HJC, cost me $135 in 2008.

I've seen Revzilla prices. Too rich for my blood.
OP
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
In the case of NYC, RevZilla isn't necessarily the bad guy here: the off-the-charts commercial real-estate market is. Over the last two decades, I've seen way too many of my favorite indie shops, across various fields of interest, close their doors and be replaced by a chain franchise. And, most of these shops were quite successful, and up to a certain point could withstand their rent being jacked up the yinyang because the landlords could get away with it. But, one by one, the owners of these businesses said "enough" and called it quits, the storefront being replaced by a bank chain, nail salon or big-name store "outlet." Trouble is, whenever something big happens that causes a sudden economic downturn, those large chains often decide to pull the plug in more than one location at the same time, and…we end up with entire blocks of vacant storefronts, even in tony locales like Park Slope and the Upper West Side. (I recall some six years back when my old nabe got its first Brooks Brothers store, and, as I walked past, I whispered to myself "let's see how long this lasts." The Answer: not very.)

The upside of RevZilla showing up in Bucktown for me is (1) no longer having to schlep to Philly if I insist on checking out something in-person before pulling my wallet out, (2) dealing with an outfit that knows their stuff and Isn't Amazon, and (3) provides jobs to people in the area…I met quite a few cool folks in the store. As for edging out competition, there ain't much there to edge out, the last place having packed up for upstate even before the Zilla got started.
⚠️ Last edited by amateriat on UTC; edited 4 times
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
Yeah, honestly I wouldn't know where to go in B̶r̶o̶o̶k̶l̶y̶n̶ New York City to buy motorcyle gear. Independent stores aren't around much anymore. On and off, there are some boutique like places, though nothing with a broad selection at a price point that I could afford, unless I am missing something.

RevZilla isn't that expensive either, you could order their merchandise directly from Alpinestars or whatever other brand at a similar price. There's a hook though, you would have to pay for postage and can't try it on before purchasing. Not saying RevZilla is the only choice out there, but they are definitely not bad and having s physical store around definitely beats the likes of that big river shipping co that I would not use.
OP
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
giallo wrote:
Yeah, honestly I wouldn't know where to go in B̶r̶o̶o̶k̶l̶y̶n̶ New York City to buy motorcyle gear. Independent stores aren't around much anymore. On and off, there are some boutique like places, though nothing with a broad selection at a price point that I could afford, unless I am missing something.

RevZilla isn't that expensive either, you could order their merchandise directly from Alpinestars or whatever other brand at a similar price. There's a hook though, you would have to pay for postage and can't try it on before purchasing. Not saying RevZilla is the only choice out there, but they are definitely not bad and having s physical store around definitely beats the likes of that big river shipping co that I would not use.
Ah, you just reminded me: if you order something from the Zilla and need to return it for any reason, and you're within hailing distance of one of their stores (like Brooklyn), you can do an in-store return for free.
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring
UTC quote
adri wrote:
This makes me sad.

CoMoto owns Revzilla, Cycle Gear, and J&P Cycles

The sheer buying power from the volume they do gets them extreme discounts from suppliers/distributors, meaning it's very easy for them to price out the independent mom and pop shop.
It's not so much that your local Uncle Terry and Aunt Barb indie shop is trying to stick it to you, it's that products actually cost them a lot more (sometimes as much as 25% more) to buy than what Revzilla/the CoMoto brands pay.
The result is it getting harder and harder for Uncle Terry and Aunt Barb to stay in business.

As a motorcycle content creator of over a decade, Revzilla has reached out on many occasions to invite me to join their affiliate partner program, where I would make money by referring people to Revzilla Bleh emoticon They even sent me an email saying I was approved for partnership, which is funny because I never applied and refuse to play ball with them.

This post isn't to try to tell anyone where or how you should or shouldn't spend your money, nor to say the Rev staff are bad (I like them and miss Lemmy). Just something to get you thinking the next time you read a thread mentioning very few options for local motorcycle or Vespa service and wonder why that is.

Evil empire can keep the money it tries to offer me, and I'll keep mine. You guys do whatever you feel is right.
I get it. I hear a lot of this kind of discussion here in Brooklyn a lot.
It is hard to discuss with lots of people especially when you point out how they conduct themselves in reality.

You are talking about how to compete in the world. I would love to be able to support Uncle Terry and Aunt Barb sure, but I find that loyalty to the mom/pop businesses or to big name brands etc has almost zero value. You could do a ton of business with Amazon and get nada, and you could give a ton of your $'s to your local neighborhood bar/ mom/pop stores etc and get zilch either. So this desire to support local businesses is fine and dandy in your " feels good" way, but realities are unless you are selling a bespoke product there is little value for loyalty and it comes down to who can deliver it cheaper to the consumer.
I can go through my credit card receipts & see how much I have spent with my neighborhood cafes/bars over time & say I have rarely been comped a drink or a slice of some cupcake etc.
Revzilla nor Amazon(retailers) nor Dainese, Alpine Stars, Apple etc making products care about loyalty, for them it is all about how can they get to lower their operating costs while making the max profits, and I don't say that is wrong, or judge them as evil etc.
Uncle Terry and Aunt Barb, aren't getting a break on their rents, they don't have any unique/exclusive product that they are selling and so they are and will get marginalized.
Technology and the ability to get elected representatives to do your bidding has helped the likes of Amazon or Revzilla(parent) etc get to be able to have the ability to deliver for their shareholders.
We the people vastly tend to go with who offers the lowest price for a given product and given that switching costs are negligible loyalty doesn't come into play.
Just my 2 shekels...
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
te="baba12"]
It is hard to discuss with lots of people especially when you point out how they conduct themselves in reality.

You are talking about how to compete in the world. I would love to be able to support Uncle Terry and Aunt Barb sure, but I find that loyalty to the mom/pop businesses or to big name brands etc has almost zero value. You could do a ton of business with Amazon and get nada, and you could give a ton of your $'s to your local neighborhood bar/ mom/pop stores etc and get zilch either. So this desire to support local businesses is fine and dandy in your " feels good" way, but realities are unless you are selling a bespoke product there is little value for loyalty and it comes down to who can deliver it cheaper to the consumer.
I can go through my credit card receipts & see how much I have spent with my neighborhood cafes/bars over time & say I have rarely been comped a drink or a slice of some cupcake etc.
Revzilla nor Amazon(retailers) nor Dainese, Alpine Stars, Apple etc making products care about loyalty, for them it is all about how can they get to lower their operating costs while making the max profits, and I don't say that is wrong, or judge them as evil etc.
Uncle Terry and Aunt Barb, aren't getting a break on their rents, they don't have any unique/exclusive product that they are selling and so they are and will get marginalized.
Technology and the ability to get elected representatives to do your bidding has helped the likes of Amazon or Revzilla(parent) etc get to be able to have the ability to deliver for their shareholders.
We the people vastly tend to go with who offers the lowest price for a given product and given that switching costs are negligible loyalty doesn't come into play.
Just my 2 shekels...
[/quote]

For me, the attraction of 'big' special stores is the selection.

When I'm looking for something specific, I like to be able to compare all (well, never all, but sometimes most viable) alternatives in the same place. So one large store with good selection often wins for me over a small mom&pap store, regardless of the price.

For me too, mom&pop stores need to sell something unique to attract me, something I can't get from a big store.

Then again, I'm not a big shopper, mostly just get what I (think) I need.

Around here, traditional, large department stores inside cities (actually not much unlike Brooklyn style) are really suffering due to both internet sales and 'mega stores' at the outskirts of the cities, with large parking lots etc.

Somewhat ironically, this is partly caused by the attempts to make cities more pedestrian friendly and nicer places to hang around - for folks like myself, who live outside a city, it is very difficult to get there nowadays, takes some time and effort to drive/ride and park. So, myself, as many others don't go there much anymore...and apparently the truly local population is not enough for the big stores, or too many of them have gone online at the same time too
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
baba12 wrote:

Just my 2 shekels...
baba12 wrote:

Just my 2 shekels...
If you aren't being rewarded for loyalty by a small indie shop, I would guess that you (a general "you", not you specifically) either need to change your small indie shop, or change yourself.

I've worked for big motorcycle companies (Harley, KYMCO), down to small family owned dealers, down to owning my own motorcycle biz that has me working with various dealers across the city on a regular basis.

I see very few indie dealers and shops that don't reward repeat business, unless that business comes from a pain in the ass customer they would rather not have.

Keep in mind rewards don't need to have dollar price tags associated with them. If I get three service requests overnight, I always get back to the repeat customer first, even if that job is half the price of the job a stranger has reached out about. That customer won't see a discount, but they'll be the first one to get back on the road, even if it means I make less that day.

More importantly though, having a "What have you done for me lately" attitude is swell when things are well... but supporting your indie motorcycle biz means they'll still be around to help you when things turn sour and you've got a problem you can't solve on your own and need a professional close by, which happens to all of us sooner or later.

Food for thought...
UTC

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150
UTC quote
This subject is very dear to me for a couple of reasons.

While you may not get any extra rewards from doing business with the local small shop typically the money they make stays in the community as opposed to the larger corporations/conglomerates business model thereby improving the entire community.

My aunt and Uncle used to own Checkpoint Cycles in Reno Nevada. They have been out of business since the late 70's and to be honest they were not in business to make money, they were in business to live the life and follow their passion.

I spent a couple summers with them as a kid growing up and let me tell you it was paradise for a teenager that loves bikes. Because of the family connection I got to meet some really great motorcycle people, some are even famous in the bike community.

I think whenever we talk about anything to do with economics it bleeds over into politics and I don't want to get booted from this community so will tread carefully here but economic "systems" greatly influence the "fabric" of our society.

There is a reason that the United States is the richest country in the world. Us Americans are also number 1 in medically uninsured citizens, homelessness, and school shootings. This is the fabric that late stage capitalism weaves, the incentive the economic system provides. I am not trying to promote one system over another as much as food for thought on the subject of buy local as opposed to the big box stores. So much of what we do everyday is connected in unseen ways that lend to the weaving of this fabric.

Apologies if this is out of bounds here.
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250

Molto Verboso
@abner_bjorn avatar
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250
UTC quote
There is no doubt the USA leads the world in all the wrong categories, but do you really need to whine about this on a scooter forum? I visited Revzilla in Lodo here in Denver. Not very impressive. Very small, small selection. I used live chat on revzilla.com wanting to order something online, and pick up at the Denver store. Wasn't an option. I couldn't figure out what they are trying to do there. It's right next store to Erico Motor Sports, now that's a store.
UTC

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150
UTC quote
Abner_Bjorn wrote:
There is no doubt the USA leads the world in all the wrong categories, but do you really need to whine about this on a scooter forum? I visited Revzilla in Lodo here in Denver. Not very impressive. Very small, small selection. I used live chat on revzilla.com wanting to order something online, and pick up at the Denver store. Wasn't an option. I couldn't figure out what they are trying to do there. It's right next store to Erico Motor Sports, now that's a store.
Language is very important. I tried to very carefully use language that was not offensive to anyone in my attempt to provide food for thought in continuing the direction of thread by adri in support of his position.

When you use a word like "whine" to describe my very personal opinion I can only assume that you are offended and I apologize personally.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
FWIW, I didn't think you were the one who came across as whining in that interaction lol
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
Abner_Bjorn wrote:
I used live chat on revzilla.com wanting to order something online, and pick up at the Denver store. Wasn't an option.
Facepalm emoticon That is poor business. Most big-box retailers offer free-to-store shipping as it costs them very little to throw a special order on an already scheduled replenishment truck.
OP
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
Guzzi Gal wrote:
Facepalm emoticon That is poor business. Most big-box retailers offer free-to-store shipping as it costs them very little to throw a special order on an already scheduled replenishment truck.
Since RevZilla is only now wading deeper into the brick-n-mortar scene, it's possible this policy could change, especially if enough people request it. Not saying it'll absolutely happen, but worth piping up about.
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)
UTC quote
It's always fun to loiter in a MC related shop. Honestly, I think Revzilla is great! I love that they have great video reviews for a lot of their gear. I find it's tough to select riding gear without checking it out personally for sizing and comfort. And their shipping is quite good. I do try to buy local when I can, but Revzilla is an excellent research tool if nothing else.

If you are within 3-4 hours of Columbus, Ohio - I recommend a stop at Iron Pony on the North side of town. It's NOT your typical MC related store; it's an old converted KMart that takes up most of a strip mall. They have a HUGE selection of riding gear onsite (jackets, pants, boots, helmets, gloves), as well as MC's and Scooters to check out. They even have service bays and used bikes. It's worth the trip. I've planned several rides in past years with my local scooter club.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0256s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0069s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]