OP
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
here's a comparison of an ET/LX and a Buddy125 (GY6 short case)

[OL= overall length, CL= Centerline of axle, END= front/back to the edge of furthest point, Mount= center line of the mount]

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

sorry the angle makes the measure lines look out of whack

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

the mount measure here is to the cantilever arm mount, the engine case mount is roughly 1" difference.

both come in at 15-ish wide

let me know if you want or need any addt'l measurements. or if you want me to measure a long case GY6 or a GTS motor. fwiw, most long case GY6 stuff comes with a bigger wheel, generally 14's and 16's, although some have 13's
Thank you, thank you for those measurements. If I were going the GY6 route, then I would definitely go after the short case version. Both the GY6 and the ET 150 engines look to be pretty darn close to the same dimensions as a Lammy engine. If that's the case, then I would much more prefer a shifty 2 stroke Lammy. The bummer is that building even a stock 200 Lammy is expensive!

I did talk to a friend last night in the phone about moto engine swaps. He doesn't really know anything about scooters per se, but he is very familiar with most all small engine MX bikes (both 2 and 4 strokes). He mentioned using a jack shaft in order to link a motorcycle engine's counter sprocket to an offset rear sprocket. And that sort of thing seems fairly straightforward to me, but fabricating a rear hub that spins a 10" wheel and carries a large diameter sprocket is definitely out of my jurisdiction. That sounds like a whole lot of lathe (which I don't own) work to me. I think by the time I bought an inexpensive motorcycle engine and swapped it in, then it would cost WAY more than a semi-built Lammy 225. Anyhow, this is just some more of my rambling thoughts.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
Thank you, thank you for those measurements. If I were going the GY6 route, then I would definitely go after the short case version. Both the GY6 and the ET 150 engines look to be pretty darn close to the same dimensions as a Lammy engine. If that's the case, then I would much more prefer a shifty 2 stroke Lammy. The bummer is that building even a stock 200 Lammy is expensive!

I did talk to a friend last night in the phone about moto engine swaps. He doesn't really know anything about scooters per se, but he is very familiar with most all small engine MX bikes (both 2 and 4 strokes). He mentioned using a jack shaft in order to link a motorcycle engine's counter sprocket to an offset rear sprocket. And that sort of thing seems fairly straightforward to me, but fabricating a rear hub that spins a 10" wheel and carries a large diameter sprocket is definitely out of my jurisdiction. That sounds like a whole lot of lathe (which I don't own) work to me. I think by the time I bought an inexpensive motorcycle engine and swapped it in, then it would cost WAY more than a semi-built Lammy 225. Anyhow, this is just some more of my rambling thoughts.
yeah, it's a which half of the money do you want to spend kind of deal.

a lammy and GY6 would present about the same amount of work mounting wise. the lammy motor would be inherently cooler, but also more expensive. however built correctly it would be cool as hell. a GY6 won't break the bank, even a pretty stout build, but as you note a little souless because of the auto.

a LX/ET motor I think is a little more robust and at least has some cachet to offset the whole twist and go aspect. the mounting would pose slightly more tricky but I think it would probably ride quite nice.

the real bold move would be a GT200 kitted up, but you quickly run into the "if you give a mouse a cookie" with that because knocking at the door is a 250 and injection...

the benefit to a small MC power plant is that swing arms are plentiful and those are rather easy to construct around. from there I'd just source something off the shelf with small rim and run a 10 or 12 with the stock hub and sprocket, no adapting hubs or nonsense.
OP
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Welp, there is always a brand new Casa Performance 250cc twin. But it sounds like it won't be released until next year-ish. No telling what the cost would be for that crate engine...maybe $15,000-$17,000?
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
Welp, there is always a brand new Casa Performance 250cc twin. But it sounds like it won't be released until next year-ish. No telling what the cost would be for that crate engine...maybe $15,000-$17,000?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⬆️    About 6 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Just as an update, i received my Vermont registration and plates a few weeks ago. So today i brought both scooters down to my local DMV to get them titled here in Oregon. I loaded them both up in one of the farm trucks this afternoon...no telling what all the other drivers on the road though of the roving pile of scrap metal.

Once at the DMV the lady at the first counter exclaimed that she remembered me from last month. A different lady at the second counter explained to another employee (who was helping me) that "this guy is always here". Another employee who did the visual VIN searich, exclaimed that i got quite a project there. Another employee's eyes lit up when he read VESPA on the title. So to say the least, the transactions went very smoothly. I was in and out in less than 30 minutes!

I still have no immediate plans for the scooters (or the truck), but the wheels are spinning in my head...
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
UTC quote
Nice T-bone on the truck. That's a beaut.
OP
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
nomadinsiam wrote:
Nice T-bone on the truck. That's a beaut.
A tree jumped out of the forest and into the middle of the road, clobbering the truck last summer. I retained the truck from the insurance company for $500. It's has a v8 and it's a 4x4. It's perfect for around the farm. Plus my folks have 186 acres of timber over on the Oregon coast, and there's a 50 year old skidder road that's 1 mile long to the top. It usually involved a chainsaw and body damage to get to the cabin at the very top of the property. Yes, a scooter can make it to the top of the trail...once. And i came away with a crushed Simonini pipe.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
saw the first pic... yup. yup. seems about right.

read the follow up and got to "logging road" and was all: his ass totally rode a scooter up that mess!

love it man. love it.
UTC

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
You don't want the same vibe as a 50cc scooter with a drag tire on it? It has so many advantages, like it doesn't even need a center stand. And it's theft-proof, because no self-respecting thief would be seen with that thing.
You've wildly underestimated the appeal to a 14yr old in the hood!
@zachyzach avatar
UTC

Addicted
'64 VBBs, '74 BMW R75/6 airhead, '74 Bultaco Alpina 250, Lambrettas + projects

Addicted
@zachyzach avatar
'64 VBBs, '74 BMW R75/6 airhead, '74 Bultaco Alpina 250, Lambrettas + projects
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
A tree jumped out of the forest and into the middle of the road, clobbering the truck last summer. I retained the truck from the insurance company for $500. It's has a v8 and it's a 4x4. It's perfect for around the farm. Plus my folks have 186 acres of timber over on the Oregon coast, and there's a 50 year old skidder road that's 1 mile long to the top. It usually involved a chainsaw and body damage to get to the cabin at the very top of the property. Yes, a scooter can make it to the top of the trail...once. And i came away with a crushed Simonini pipe.
A farm, a big timber stand... it has me wondering what you have for dirt bike Vespa riding options. Reminds me of this classic thread:

https://modernvespa.com/forum/post2512319#2512319

Once I finish a few street legal projects, I'd love to build up an offroad scoot because I have a few-acres farm of hayfields and woods, plus access to my neighbor's xmas tree farm and cropland. I'm always failing at saving $$ for parts tho!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0368s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0253s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]