@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
UTC quote
Sad but too true. This forum has dodged this, thankfully.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/why-are-online-motorcycle-forums-drying-up-and-dying
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
We owe a huge debt of gratitude to Jess for foreseeing many of the problems that have sunk other forums. Too many sections, no site photo provision, too much "That's off-topic" ending entertaining threads, you name it.

There's no other publicly accessible way to keep such a useful collection of information, with personal interactions, and a 'family feel'.
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
kz1000ST wrote:
True? Possibly. But sad? Nah. Things that are relevant have staying power. If any medium fails to attract future generations that will be in part because those who would potentially follow aren't interested.

Take motorcycle ridership as a whole, (and this is but one example) more and more women ride, so if a forum and it's collective members still act like we are in some testosterone laden dark ages it will be highly unlikely that this increasing demographic will eagerly join and stay. As I said, just one example why things can fall apart.

Of course there are a ton of other factors that have a younger generation uninterested in using the internet as if it's still 1999. Not bad. That's part of progress. And look at this forum, it doesn't look dead to me. And other new bright and shiny ways of sharing the joys, trials and tribulations of being on two wheels will come along and find their audience. Motorcycling and talking about it are definitely not dying either.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Interesting article and I agree, true!
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Just read this a while ago, and, yes, Jess figured out how to more-or-less dodge this particular cannonball.
@touring300 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento

Ossessionato
@touring300 avatar
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento
UTC quote
This place has a real community feel. I liken it to going 'down the pub' on a regular basis. It's comfortable, you share ideas and offer help with people you will probably never meet but who you have a common interest. There will always be people who call once or twice just to get an answer to a particular problem with no intention of hanging around and that's fine.

It's the regulars that keep the pub going and know that without the bartender (Jess) it would not exist.

Cheers everyone!
UTC

Addicted
2022 Honda PCX 150A, 2018 GTS300 [sold] & 2015 GTS300 Super [sold]

Addicted
UTC quote
giallo wrote:
True? Possibly. But sad? Nah. Things that are relevant have staying power. If any medium fails to attract future generations that will be in part because those who would potentially follow aren't interested.

… And other new bright and shiny ways of sharing the joys, trials and tribulations of being on two wheels will come along and find their audience. Motorcycling and talking about it are definitely not dying either.
Informative article. I agree with kz1000ST that the general demise of forums is sad, but maybe that's because this forum (which is NOT in decline) has been a big part of my life since I became a Vespa owner. Thanks to Jess, the moderators, the sponsors, and members for making this place a great way to "talk" with others.

I don't have InstaFaceTwit, so I have no idea how these "new bright and shiny ways" of communicating about motorcycles compare to this forum. I do use YouTube - while it's useful, compared to Modern Vespa, it doesn't even begin to compare as a medium of effective communication. For those of you who use TwitBookGram - How do these newer forms of communicating compare to the "old-fashioned" forum and what is the"community experience" like on those platforms?
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
I am not saying that new ways of communicating will be the likes of Instagram, Facebook, YouTube or Twitter, absolutely not. These are becoming somewhat older modes of "communication" as well and are on their way of being less relevant overall.

What I am saying is, that if a forum stays relevant, such as MV (and yes, big thanks to everyone involved at MV in that effort!!), it will have staying power and that in all likelihood other new ways of communication will come along in addition to that.
What will they look like? Who knows. Maybe web3 is pointing in that direction? The reason why forums are fading away is not that people have lost interest in talking and learning about motorcycles, it is for example because many forums are structured to serve a company's bottom line and users aren't captivated as much by that as they used to be.
Why am I finding this not sad?; Because progress is a beautiful thing. Imagine the world before forums such as this one and what a great way of getting info and to exchange thoughts it has become. That was progress and it's great. That's why we are here.
OP
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
UTC quote
Of the forums I used to frequent three of the head admins have passed away and one has disappeared, hopefully not deceased. The original owner of Scootdawg sold it and the present owner moved it to a different operating model. The former posters didn't follow and are no longer around.
I volunteered to be a moderator on three of them before the admins passed away and occasionally go to them to remove Spam or ban repeat offenders. It's sad to me that so many of the personalities that were constants have disappeared.
I only hope for everyone's sake here that plans have been made for succession. A forum shouldn't rely on one person's existence. I've seen that happen and the slow death that followed.
@spirovision avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS super 300

Hooked
@spirovision avatar
GTS super 300
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
We owe a huge debt of gratitude to Jess for foreseeing many of the problems that have sunk other forums. Too many sections, no site photo provision, too much "That's off-topic" ending entertaining threads, you name it.

There's no other publicly accessible way to keep such a useful collection of information, with personal interactions, and a 'family feel'.
+1
UTC

20 GTS Super Tech 300

20 GTS Super Tech 300
UTC quote
I was away from the forum for like 10 years maybe longer and I was amazed it was still around and still great excited to be back. Love to find a section for local CT riders I remember a couple cool meet ups at scooter central back in the day.
UTC

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150
UTC quote
[quote="jimc"]
We owe a huge debt of gratitude to Jess for foreseeing many of the problems that have sunk other forums.

Could not agree more, If I was a younger person still in the process of bringing children into the world I would consider naming a child after him but alas those days are behind me.

I will however keep it in mind for the next dog we adopt!
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
I think there is a whole section missing from that article which is what's happening to many of the forums that do stick around...

Unfortunately, many of them are being bought up by internet marketing companies just so they can put ads on them and then neglect them.

I was pretty friendly with a network of 4-5 motorcycle bloggers that have all suffered the same fate: bought up by marketing businesses that put out a lot more content but that is only 1/4 as good as what the original creator used to make.

I'm sure they are all 10x more profitable than what they used to be but the quality is junk.

Likewise when a lot of these companies buy up forums they stop doing the things needed to keep the community engaged and active and it trickles down and the forum behind a descent...

When the company that owns the Triumph forum I'm on also owns the V-Rod forum I'm on and the BMW forum I'm on, something is rotten.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
while I believe that I'm the youngest of the moderation team, I think that we make a cohesive unit. even handed, snarky, foul at times (mostly me) shape the landscape.
[mvbot excluded]

but the one thing we all know is what is fair. what is just. and what is over the line.

jess built this out with one thing in mind: don't be the bbs. then structured it to NOT be the bbs and slowly brought in people who he explicitly knew that would guide the ship accordingly. and, no, i was not one of the early ones.

but 15+ years later, here we are. still kicking.

I still log on every single morning. wanting to learn, wanting to share whatever knowledge I've got, help somebody with a problem or get a glimpse of their life and maybe share some of mine.

and on the vintage side, woo buddy, I'll tell ya. you can get what for, but at the same time we a bunch of relatively civil knuckle draggers over there. but very few punches pulled and expect to get it, whether you like bad news or not.

it's not a slick UI, it can be creaky, takes a minute to get used to. but, it's ours. it's not going to get sold and placated with ads and shit. people popping up with BS products, or youtube shit will be shout down.THAT is what makes us a community.

we care about each other, we care about the bikes, and we care about the experience. that's it.

xo
-g
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
What's bbs?
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
adri wrote:
What's bbs?
Bulletin Board System.
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
adri wrote:
What's bbs?
Something that was very big as a means of communication and now isn't as it has been replaced by shinier new things.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
giallo wrote:
Why am I finding this not sad?; Because progress is a beautiful thing. Imagine the world before forums such as this one and what a great way of getting info and to exchange thoughts it has become. That was progress and it's great. That's why we are here.
Change isn't always progress - I don't see the "progression" (or complete dissolution) of tried-and-true mediums as necessarily something positive. Yes, as you noted, there have been many positive developments regarding communication. I can't imagine owning/wrenching on a Vespa without the help of this forum and its wonderful community. On the other hand, my local newspaper has to publish a weekly article on the various internet rumors that are circulating because the way people get their news has "progressed" to FaceTokChat. The article, usually a full page or two, is called, "What Didn't Happen This Week", and presents the verifiable facts about whatever BS news people believe because they read/saw in on TwitTube.

I don't believe progress is always beautiful, and that's why I'm sad when institutions that served many are no longer with us.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
adri wrote:
What's bbs?
oh honey... bless your heart...

some things are better left dead.
OP
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
oh honey... bless your heart...

some things are better left dead.
Amen to that.
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD
UTC quote
kz1000ST wrote:
Amen to that.
Whaat? You don't miss acoustic modems, sysops, and taking turns over a dial up connection to lob artillery shells at an opponent?

Me neither.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0146s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0018s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]