OP
UTC

Piaggio BV350 Tourer - Grigio Materia

UTC quote
After some trial and error with my setup, I'm moving to a dedicated GPS unit with my BV350 as it's showing to be the most reliable solution for navigation and other controls vs. using my phone.

I have a Garmin Zumo XT that I just got - and it does come with some wiring so you can hook it up to the battery. I'm wondering if I might be able to simplify the wiring process here quite a bit and tap into one of the 12v lines within the dash, like the low/high beam switch. I've seen a video of Robot doing this with a set of heated grips:
It also makes me feel a little bit better about phantom power draw given that if it's tapped into one of the wires that draws no power when the bike is off then I won't have to worry about anything draining the battery.

Has anyone done this kind of wiring setup with a GPS unit? How has it worked out if so?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Enthusiast
BV 350, Suzuki VanVan, Triumph Street Twin

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Yes ..and it works great. Need to remember to take it off when I stop in areas with people around.
JEB
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
It was done at the dealer because I was reluctant to take apart the fairing by myself. I did the prep, such as drilling the hole for the wire. Best I can recall I think they tapped into the headlight wire. Here are some pics...
JEB
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Jebarrett wrote:
It was done at the dealer because I was reluctant to take apart the fairing by myself. I did the prep, such as drilling the hole for the wire. Best I can recall I think they tapped into the headlight wire. Here are some pics...
JEB
Thank you very much!! I decided to go this route too. I'll post a pic shortly as well. Initial tests look great but I'm going to ride around and make sure it's all peachy.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
All done and it works fantastic!

Used a small dremel attachment to get a cleaning for the wire to go through the housing behind the headlight access. Works perfectly!
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Nicely done!
JEB
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)
UTC quote
I wired my Zumo XT on my GTS to the headlight, specifically the Hi Beam. On the GTS, it's the purple wire on the H4 connector.

I used Positap connectors which are easy to use and weather resistant, although I wrapped the connection with electrical tape as well. I've used this connection for 25k+ miles on my old GTS with zero issues and just repeated this on my 07 GTS this past weekend.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0095s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0022s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]