@shebalba avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 GTS250, Ducati Monster M900, KTM 390 Adventure, Honda CR125

Molto Verboso
@shebalba avatar
2009 GTS250, Ducati Monster M900, KTM 390 Adventure, Honda CR125
UTC quote
In the process of an LED conversion to my GTS250 and I am amazed at the amount of electrical tape used on the wiring. Not only that but it was applied so poorly. Very little shrink tubing.

Was/is this common practice during production? There has been evidence of this on every wire associated with lighting.

Original owner, bought new. Have never had any service performed to these areas.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150
UTC quote
I cannot speak to the Vespa's and electrical tape but as the owner of an old jeep (1988) I got into some repairs on the jeep wiring harness.

I was sure that I had found the source of all my problems when I discovered the hack job that some total idiot amateur had botched and put back together with duct tape. Not only that the quality of the workmanship under the duct tape, how the thing ever worked right was a huge surprise and it probably never did operate without glitches and gremlins.

Then after some poking around and searching the interwebs and forums found out that this was a bone stock wiring harness and that was exactly the way it came from the factory.

One jeep forum member posited that it was by design on the jeeps of the 70's and 80's when the factory warranty was 36.000 miles. If the jeep came in for electrical problems under warranty it was usually easily and quickly fixed by the addition of a dedicated ground wire to the malfunctioning circuit by the dealers service department mechanic but when it came back to the dealership after the short warranty period expired it would be a very costly rewiring of the jeep and they were pushed to the new jeep on the showroom floor where of course on these newer jeeps the issues had been rectified...

Just because I am paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me!
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
That electrical tape is far easier to manage than if the harness was in heat-shrink. Be grateful that Piaggio harnesses are no longer farmed out to mom'n'pop cottage 'industries'. E.g. the original X9 harnesses would have wires starting as one colour, disappear into the harness where it'd be joined to another colour (usually pink for some reason), then back to the original colour as it emerged - with maybe a hidden diode along the way. Ugh...
@oscarsass avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@oscarsass avatar
UTC quote
I know it's an ET2, from a different era (and price bracket), but…

…mines the same (applied better though!).
Standard ET2 (2001) headlight wiring.
Standard ET2 (2001) headlight wiring.
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
X stream silicon rubber tape from Amazon is amazing.It runs about $20
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
Also tartan tape is excellent
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
cross link to related post How should I repair damaged wire insulation?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0098s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0025s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]