OP
UTC

SS180/ PX200 / TV175 / Gts 300.

UTC quote
Had my PX 200 since 2017, built and supplied by Ron Dailys.
It's been brilliant until this last week when the engine missed a beat and thought it was going to cutout, stopped and cleared its throat and got me home.
It has had regular service, but first thing was check the plug and leads, was still not running smooth at lower revs and pulley away feels lumpy.
Today removed striped and cleaned the carb and check the float and jets, filters all good. Plenty of fuel supply. Tried again still lumpy.
I had a new Vespa Cdi with cable and new plug cap, fitted this and another new plug, Still doing the same.
Final check today, removed flywheel, keyway and connection all clean and good, rebuilt and tested, still lumpy at low revs, clears and a little better as speed increases.
Any ideas ? I am running E10 fuel but never had a problem till now and scratching my head what to do next.
Any ideas, many thanks.
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
Shot in the dark but if you're running E10, maybe check the float needle tip.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Hi, thanks for the info, I checked that today and also if the float had any signs of fuel inside as had that before, and had to replace the float.
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
So you checked for good spark? Was your plug wet when you pulled it?
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Is the petrol cap vent clear? Does it make a fizz noise when you open petrol cap? Does it run better with a full tank ?
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Thank you for your response, checked the full tank cap and all clear, and the same weather full tank of fuel or part full.
Going to change the fuel just to make sure not got a bad lot.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
DaveKT wrote:
Thank you for your response, checked the full tank cap and all clear, and the same weather full tank of fuel or part full.
Going to change the fuel just to make sure not got a bad lot.
Is Fuel running ok from the tap? Is the line all ok ? As you taking tank out to drain just check the tap isn't blocked with rusty Shite.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
I checked fuel is running free when I cleaned the carb, the scooter is only a few years old and checked the fuel and filter and all still like new.
This one is testing me, and cannot decide if it's electrical or fuel that's the problem, any other thoughts.
Thanks for your help..
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
Random thoughts: Is your spark good? Carb torqued down? 2T oil making it to carb?
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Have you got an airlink between the carb tray and engine? Is the gasket all ok? Did you take the airbox completely out to check? Is everything bolted down nice and square/tight? Is the choke lever going back in correctly? Could you disconnect the choke cable on the carb and actuate it manually to get it started then push it right back in (clutching at straws on this last one?). Im trying to work out from my experience of these sudden bad running issues and a couple of times i have found the PX carb not quite tight, often noticed by fuel weeping slightly down engine casing rear of carb box, alternatively weeping red 2 stroke oil from pump when thats not quite tight dropping on to ground under scooter. Is it my understanding that Daley's built these 200 specials from obtained new p2 engines, maybe just the case things just became a bit loose after a few years of them being assembled?
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Hi Thank you for you time and thoughts, I did remove the carb from the air box, checked the air box was secure and everything clean. The rubber grommet was ok that sits between the casing and the carb all looked ok.
I have just put my timing strobe onto the flywheel and it's very unsteady and not frozen steady as it should be regardless of revs.
I did notice when I put the carb back on that it squeezes the grommet between the carb and the casing and can't get the carb to sit flat onto the air box until you tighten the 2 screws, is this normal ?
Thanks again for you help…
@worrywort avatar
UTC

Hooked
PX125E

Hooked
@worrywort avatar
PX125E
UTC quote
Hello two simple checks for you.
With engine running spray some WD40 around carb box to check if it's an air leak there.
second drain a bit of gearbox oil and see if it smells of petrol. its possible the E10 had melted your flywheel side oil seal.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0100s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0018s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]