UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
so, it's come time. I must decide.

the super mule (74 super with *currently* a p2) needs a fork. mostly because I just sold the fork that was in it.

ANYWAY... because kajiit house of wares is expansive I have dealer's choice.

stock rally fork with a stoffi spring and bgm dampener
Bajaj stocker anti dive
P2 16mm or 20mm
PK with a disc
ET/LX with disc

caveats:
>rally fork needs rebuilt and purchase damper. NBD
>Bajaj fork needs a massage, but I don't care about fender. bike is ugly
>p2 16mm I have all that shizz, and would not hesitate to drop coin on a disc set up, already have a remote master
>p2 20, have basically everything to make it full hydro
>PK is complete and ready to rock
>ET/LX is complete and ready to rock

headset: standard US with a bolt on bracket or, welded on. the lever mount is broken, so whatever. OR I have euro, and I have euro drops done by scooter stuff back when-- though they're not aggressive, like ten degrees.

my question is: which fork works "the best"? I don't want something that handles all funky. and I have zero-point-zero problems modifying anything I've got. I care nothing of originality, the bike is a mule.

I've been up in my grey matter too long on this so I figured I'd pitch it out to the hive mind and see what the sounding board turned back!
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
UTC quote
Is the super still on 8s? If so I'd imagine the 20mm p fork with full hydro would be a funkay no go, right? But if it's ready for 10s I'd do it and give that mule a disc!
OP
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
xantufrog wrote:
Is the super still on 8s? If so I'd imagine the 20mm p fork with full hydro would be a funkay no go, right? But if it's ready for 10s I'd do it and give that mule a disc!
Nah, resigned to 10's on this beast. So it's really anything goes.
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
UTC quote
I think if it's already a Frankenstein then might as well go full hydraulic (other than, you know, the whole cost thing)
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)
UTC quote
PK Disc - from the nose bleeder seats eating peanuts.... Razz emoticon
@geeklion avatar
UTC

The Dude
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money

The Dude
@geeklion avatar
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money
UTC quote
Pk fork, with fully hydro disk.

Weld that headset for a grimeca MC and make it legit.
UTC

UTC quote
hey there homie!

I have installed 3 of Joey Casola's (Saint's Cycle) px fork conversions into Rally's.

Superb handling, brakes are good, can be really good with rotor and caliper upgrades.

I can't recommend these enough. I suppose if you have access to a machine shop you can modify the PX disc set up you already have. shortened the px on the leg and the stem, and you need a thick bearing race (weld 2 together or?)
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
UTC quote
Now that's a rad ride!
@garncarz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1964 Allstate Cruisaire, 2022 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, 1972 Suzuki T500J

Molto Verboso
@garncarz avatar
UTC quote
Holy cat shit, Batman! I want one of those.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
garncarz wrote:
Holy cat shit, Batman! I want one of those.
A perm or a blue Rally?
@garncarz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@garncarz avatar
UTC quote
Clearly, the hair.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
I'll throw my hat in the ring...

I don't really have a issue with using any of those forks or brake hubs, but....

-When I think of ET disc brake swaps, I think of Smallframe track bikes. Lots of racers swap an ET disc to there older small frames.

-from what I remember of riding around on the 4T Baja Jay scooters, they had pretty good brakes. The factory anti dive was decent enough as well. Aesthetically they looked just OK on the Chetaks...probably even less so on a vintage Vespa.

-16mm P. Once you spend the coin to go with a 16mm hydro brake, you can only use it on a P fork for the rest of your life. No swapping it to different projects that use a 20mm hub. Plus the 20mm hub assemblies are just plain more robust. Bigger bearings, larger caliper carrier, ect.

-20mm P/PX/PK. All the hydro hubs look good to me on a vintage Vespa. Whether using a 5 star, Grimeca classic, or a smooth faced machined Stella hub. I always like the racer look of the 5 star, but as I get older, my tastes now also like the smooth faced Stella hubs.

-I'm not opposed to using a Rally fork. I do like the handling design of the P/PX suspension better than the Rally though.

For the headset, if you know someone who can weld aluminum, then welding a plate to the headset can be an elegant option.

Scooter Stuff? As in Tim's drop bars? He made incredibly awesome drops. I have a set on my old P street racer.

Semi vs full hydraulic? I've used fully hydro conversion on all my P's, PX, and PK. I've been pleased with them. Many hours on the racetrack with the Grimica master cylinder and caliper. I would have liked a smidge bit more braking power on the track, but I had plenty for any time I was in the road. I had a semi-hydro Grimeca setup on my Allstate 200, and the brake power was off the charts. I could easily lock up a Zippy 1 on clean asphalt.

Anyhow, those are my 4 cents. Get to work!
OP
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Josh Snow wrote:
hey there homie!

I have installed 3 of Joey Casola's (Saint's Cycle) px fork conversions into Rally's.

Superb handling, brakes are good, can be really good with rotor and caliper upgrades.

I can't recommend these enough. I suppose if you have access to a machine shop you can modify the PX disc set up you already have. shortened the px on the leg and the stem, and you need a thick bearing race (weld 2 together or?)
josh snow... it's like seeing a ghost from my past or, like, my ex girlfriend at my local bar!

what it be dude!

thanks for the heads up. I'm 100% trying to do this on the "scooter boy beer budget" so shipping off a fork to casola or machine work is kinda low on the list. granted, this is for my lump of shit mule super, not some high-line build like you do! but I just want it to be half ass decent.

I guess I gotta get it up on the rack and figure it out.

my biggest concern is just the geometry. I don't want it to handle like a 10lb bag of assholes.
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
UTC quote
xantufrog wrote:
Now that's a rad ride!
I don't usually like custom paint, but dude, that's a sweet looking bike.
@koenig_blues avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
a not so normal vbb2 '64, a weirdo vbx '86, a not so normal pts100 '82 and a yellow sunshine '74 sprint

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@koenig_blues avatar
a not so normal vbb2 '64, a weirdo vbx '86, a not so normal pts100 '82 and a yellow sunshine '74 sprint
UTC quote
I know u can make one like mine from a px 20mm fork, and i do know u really want it

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Josh Snow wrote:
hey there homie!

Josh, you are one Cat that I've heard about for the past...I don't know...close to 15~20 years? I'm familiar with some of your high end builds and other contributions, but I'm not sure if we've ever meet in person (I've probably been introduced to you at a Vegas rally or something', but I can remember)? Anyhow, sweet rally, sweet hair, keep on keepin on man!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0194s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0081s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]