@outsider avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET 50 GTS250ie Sprint 150

Hooked
@outsider avatar
UTC quote
I have a ET4 2001 1500 miles. Try to start starter clicks. Tap Doll-rod with hammer against starter and it works. Is the only option to replace starter? Scooteparts.co has them for like $45.00. I assume it is the starter because it works when I tap it.
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08

Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
UTC quote
Probably a good assumption, unless it's just a weak battery or the relay is bad.

The starters are quite difficult to reassemble once they've been taken apart - at least mine sure was - and there isn't much you or a shop can do to rebuild one for the $45 replacement cost. So you might as well just replace it.
@vespergeezer avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS300, Cosa LX200

Addicted
@vespergeezer avatar
GTS300, Cosa LX200
UTC quote
My top tip if replacing would be to clean up and (ahead of time) spray penetrating oil on any fittings you'll need to undo to replace the starter motor.
(No need probably if scoot has never seen rain or salt).
UTC

Hooked
2001 ET4 "Mona"

Hooked
2001 ET4 "Mona"
UTC quote
Juan_ORhea wrote:
Probably a good assumption, unless it's just a weak battery or the relay is bad.

The starters are quite difficult to reassemble once they've been taken apart - at least mine sure was - and there isn't much you or a shop can do to rebuild one for the $45 replacement cost. So you might as well just replace it.
I agree with Juan. It seems so many ET4 issues stem from/relate to a bad battery.

I saw a you tube video on rebuilding an ET4 starter. I'll see if I can find it. But I'd check that battery very thoroughly first.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I'd expect it to be a sticky Bendix gear way before a duff starter, especially with so few miles on it. I'm assuming the battery is new and fully charged, and all major electrical connections to the starter and relay are good.

Take off the transmission cover, remove the variator driving pulley and pull out the Bendix. I'd give it a thorough bath in kerosene (paraffin for the Brits) and dry it as well as possible with a shop rag. No need to add any lubricant. It should now flick in and out very freely.

Replace it and then the driving pulley, ensuring the belt is tucked well into the clutch before torquing up the driving pulley.
OP
@outsider avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@outsider avatar
UTC quote
I ordered a new one from Scooterpartsco. I think that should fix the problem. Old bike a lot of sitting low mileage just not happy from lack of use. If not I will carry a hammer and doll rod in tool kit. Or sell it.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
The electrical parts Piaggio uses tend to be as affected by age as by use. I have replaced a lot of Starters on Leader bikes. None of them had high or normal mileage.
OP
@outsider avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@outsider avatar
UTC quote
You shipped me a new one yesterday Thank you.
OP
@outsider avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@outsider avatar
UTC quote
Received new Starter today installed seems to be working fine. Big Shoutout to Scooterpartsco for there great service. Thanks all for replying to my post.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
And I've just replaced a starter on our LX190. It had a very large inrush/stall current, which pulled a good freshly charged battery down to 9V and lost so much in the (very clean) wiring that there was only about 5V left on the starter itself. New starter ran perfectly.
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
And I've just replaced a starter on our LX190. It had a very large inrush/stall current, which pulled a good freshly charged battery down to 9V and lost so much in the (very clean) wiring that there was only about 5V left on the starter itself. New starter ran perfectly.
Hi jimc - did you diagnose this through the battery voltage test alone? Winding resistance? Some other test? I'm just curious what troubleshooting steps are used to conclude a faulty starter motor.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I did voltage drop tests across both the +ve and -ve feeds to the starter motor, and again across the motor itself to make sure all the readings added up sensibly.

With that much current going in, but with the motor running happily off-load, means that it has lost the torque required to spin an engine over. If they are fixed magnets inside (I haven't opened the old one up to look) then I suspect they've just lost most of their magnetism. If there are static windings, then there's probably a shorted turn somewhere in the motor - a certain killer.

It was noticeable that over some months, the starter was having difficulty getting the engine to wind over TDC, even with the compression lifter working properly. Once over that, it would usually just manage to start. However, eventually it just went "huh" and that was it.

The engine was also filthy after 40,000 miles plus, so I removed it (not a huge hassle on an air-cooled) and gave it all a good clean, adjusting the valves and replacing gaskets and filters as required, plus new rollers and belt and oil changes. Now purring like new - except better of course, being a 190. Razz emoticon
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0141s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0053s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]