OP
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
ADV bike so I know some of you will not be that interested. I started watching this thinking "OK, that looks cool" then I kept watching and after a while I just sort of couldn't believe the overkill and the extra weight and cost!

Sure, I have basically the exact same bike except mine barely resembles this one after the "upgrades". The bike is really expensive as is but someone has way too much money.

@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
HB in my humble opinion there is never too much when it comes down to accessories. I will not stop until I am told my scooter looks like on Mardi Gras float.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
this might be too much
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
Some of it I would consider essential upgrades, some I'm a little jealous of, and some I just kinda scratch my head over. I mean...that shop got a nice bit of business out of it, at least! Laughing emoticon

Did anyone notice if the factory accessory lights turned on? Not the strobey ones, the ones money was spent to wrap in protective guards.

Dumping THAT MUCH into protection just seems like you're either not confident in your skill or spitting in Murphy's (or some other deity's) eye. Any bets on how many border crossings before it gets dropped and a guard fails catastrophically?
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
UTC quote
It would be boring if we all chose the same accessories. That said, I tend to go the opposite way. I remove items I deem to be superfluous. The bike in the video would not be my style but I enjoy looking at it with all it's detail.
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
All in the eye of the beholder. I find i the accessories fascinating too even though I wouldn't like them for myself.

Reminds me too much of fugly couch protectors, but then not my ride or choice to make, so it's all good.

I don't think money plays much of a role in something like this. One could argue that a Royal Enfield Himalayan will take you to many of the same places a GS Motorrad can, for a whole lot less. Choosing a bike like this is not about return on investment, but enjoyment. Hard to quantify how much that should cost.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
I'm generally a "you do you" person with this stuff: if it's the thing(s) that make you want to saddle-up and go somewhere, have at it. I've seen some bikes that would ordinarily leave me discreetly shaking my head, but when its owner comes up to me enthusiastically and says "here's my ride, whatcha think?" I might give some advice on little bits here and there, but I like to leave someone with decent vibes about what they've done with the rote-minimum of BSing. And, seriously, I can count the truly questionably-modded rides I've encountered on the fingers of one hand and still start up my bike.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
the GS outfitted for a long trip is ok but he did add 1 thing that was over the top.

why did they add the passenger seat air cover? are the dry bags going to see a benefit of the cooling seat cover? or the upgrade seat itself?
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
When is it too much when it comes to accessories? I'll try to answer in a scooter-relevant way.

There's always that one guy who thinks 582 mirrors on his scooter makes him look like a rational grown up that women want to be with and other men want to be...

I haven't watched the video above yet, but the million mirror man is probably where I draw the line.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
Curiosity got the better of me, just watched it...

As someone who just got back from a 2-up 2,000 km ride Toronto to Quebec City and back on a 650GS single cylinder... talk about overkill lol.

Only upgrades we did were Seat Concepts seat, GIVI brackets and side cases (used), phone mount and SAE to USB adapter, Kappa windscreen (used), Aprilia tail bag (used), and OEM faux-tank bag.

I think total cost including the motorcycle itself came to less than this guy's mods list alone lol Planning to ride across Mexico and back next, and then ship it to Italy. Maybe I'll come across this guy in Italy there... I'll be sure to wave as I pass by him on my 200 lbs lighter bike

To each their own I guess...
@dibiasio avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX150

Addicted
@dibiasio avatar
2006 LX150
UTC quote
I used to go to this scooter mechanic who liked to lecture me about the aesthetics of my Vespa. Very judgey. I added a windscreen and a front rack and a rear folding rack and a chrome ring or bezel or whatever around the headlight. His was all austere. He made me look at it. I was like, "can you just change my fuggin oil please?"

If I was going for an Amish vibe then I woulda bought a mule.
To Each His Own
To Each His Own
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
I'll guess bolt on accessories are the lite equivalent of bike chopping for many. Does not require much skills, tools, nor time, yet feels 'customized' or personalized.

I tend to be utilitarian myself, but it is always a joy to see especially something that is not directly from the standard accessory catalog...like the 'ADV Vespa' above would definitely get another look from me

I owned my previous bike about 4 years...got a front fender extension piece, 'cause I noticed stone sprays tickling the frame paint a bit too much. Then I got a front light protection grille, 'cause I noticed that cars coming towards me at gravel roads flung stones pretty high....and that was it

For my new bike I got a rear rack, as it didn't have any as standard.

For the Vespa...I had a top box for storing stuff when commuting and custom made 'Super Bee' stickers, 'cause the yellow fellow just seemed to need them
OP
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Cheshire wrote:
Some of it I would consider essential upgrades, some I'm a little jealous of, and some I just kinda scratch my head over. I mean...that shop got a nice bit of business out of it, at least! Laughing emoticon

Did anyone notice if the factory accessory lights turned on? Not the strobey ones, the ones money was spent to wrap in protective guards.

Dumping THAT MUCH into protection just seems like you're either not confident in your skill or spitting in Murphy's (or some other deity's) eye. Any bets on how many border crossings before it gets dropped and a guard fails catastrophically?
Good points, actually both you and old as dirt made some.

I'm going to guess the factory installed axillary lights work. There is a seperate switch on the bars. If not I imagine something strapped somewhere on the bike can fix it I'd love to know how much coin was dropped on this. Those Wuderlich parts do not come cheap. I was looking at some and went with cheap Chinese knock offs as for some things they do the job just as well. Not for some things that require precise engineering or saddles etc. But for a piece of plastic like a drop bar bumper they do the trick. I have the 719 package so have a cylinder head cover. If not though then I would go with something like Wuderlich.

Personaly I prefer everything done by and at the dealer before I pick up the bike. With the GSA I got the showroom fully loaded bike so only needed a few little parts not offered by Motorrad. With the Vespa and Ural I bought in the last few years I had parts brought in which I guess this guy did. The guys at the shop must have had fun (or not) putting it all together. From my experience the dealers are proud to put together something special. Lou was heart broken when insurance wrote of my fully kitted GTV.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
My Volvo has a pretty big trunk. Just saying.
UTC

Hooked
Racing Sixties 300, Cub, Gold Wing, Can Am

Hooked
Racing Sixties 300, Cub, Gold Wing, Can Am
UTC quote
I have the same dry bag and it's light, dry and straps to anything. Beyond that...
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
Separate switch...that makes sense. My personal interest/obsession drops off once the engine gets bigger than a liter, so I'm not too familiar with the 1200GS. I've got my eye on the 310GS as my eventual next bike...there's a LOT of bells & whistles between the 310 & the 1200! (...like cruise control. Crying or Very sad emoticon )

I hear you on brand name stuff. Even with Vespa, the difference between Vespa OEM and, say, Faco is usually similar quality but a LOT of money. I expect there to be a reason for the price difference...besides a name. 😉

I'm always a little torn over shop install vs DIY. My wallet and my desire to know how it goes together opts for DIY. My busted body and my confidence in my wrenching prefers to leave it to the experts. Laughing emoticon My current compromise is...ordered through the shop waits until the next service & shop installs. Ordered myself and not too complicated or involving essential bike function (wheels, brakes, etc) I DIY.
OP
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
UTC quote
Cheshire wrote:
I'm always a little torn over shop install vs DIY. My wallet and my desire to know how it goes together opts for DIY. My busted body and my confidence in my wrenching prefers to leave it to the experts. Laughing emoticon My current compromise is...ordered through the shop waits until the next service & shop installs. Ordered myself and not too complicated or involving essential bike function (wheels, brakes, etc) I DIY.
Yeah I do the same if I'm getting something installed by the dealer. With the Vespa they had to order the shocks in so they did that on first service. With the 1250 I should be OK expect I want to get the foot extension on for the kick stand BUT that requires me getting the 1250 GSA on the centre stand. A Vespa? I've been putting them up on the centre stand for years every time I park. A 1250GSA? Well yeah... going to need to get a buddy to help me the first few times. The 7.9 gallon tank is a little imposing as you stand over the bike and plan on popping it up.

The bells and whistles I suppose are part of what you are paying for when you get the flagship model. It would help to know exactly what I have but my German is rusty... The dealer also said not everything fit on the paper so isn't listed.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0153s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0040s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]