UTC

Enthusiast
P200E

Enthusiast
@shampoo avatar
P200E
UTC quote
Hello !

It took me a while to figure out why I'd wake up sometimes with a rather sore back and I have isolated it to 2hr+ rides on my Vespa.

New stock suspension
New Michelin S83 tires

The roads where are live are rather poor. Lots of potholes, rough asphalt etc.. I get bounced around a lot.

In terms of improvement for my back, what are some of the best bang for buck changes that I could make ? Do any of those include how I sit ?

I have been doing lots of stretching of my back and this helps.. After a period of time, can I expect my back to get stronger and therefore not have to make any changes ?

For the record, I am 50yrs old and I consider myself to be in quite good shape.. I can ride my bicycle hard for 3+ hours with no back issues but not my Vespa.. For what that's worth.

Thanks !
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
shampoo wrote:
Hello !

It took me a while to figure out why I'd wake up sometimes with a rather sore back and I have isolated it to 2hr+ rides on my Vespa.

New stock suspension
New Michelin S83 tires

The roads where are live are rather poor. Lots of potholes, rough asphalt etc.. I get bounced around a lot.

In terms of improvement for my back, what are some of the best bang for buck changes that I could make ? Do any of those include how I sit ?

I have been doing lots of stretching of my back and this helps.. After a period of time, can I expect my back to get stronger and therefore not have to make any changes ?

For the record, I am 50yrs old and I consider myself to be in quite good shape.. I can ride my bicycle hard for 3+ hours with no back issues but not my Vespa.. For what that's worth.

Thanks !
I'm in the same boat. I'm 53, 175lbs, overall good shape. The one thing I notice is my full face helmet. Sitting over the handlebars on the Stella for long periods gives me headaches. Helmets are fairly light, but not as light as bicycle helmets.
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
@christopher_55934 avatar
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
Posture and seat, I'm 5'9", I put on a different seat so I could slide back and stretch out.

https://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Complete-Seats/2011PXSEAT

I put this style seat on mine, it's made by NISA, I slide back to bump in seat.

https://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Complete-Seats/ANCILSF
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

70 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Some of it is just building strength in muscles you didn't know you have. "Saddle sore" is your body's way of telling you to either ride a whole lot more or a whole lot less. Razz emoticon

Unfortunately, our bodies don't take suggestions on how to build muscle like they once did. I'm 51 and pretty good size (6'2", 225lbs), so I'm already putting the Vespa's suspension to the test.

Better shocks will help, getting a good quality, lightweight helmet will also help, as will finding a seat that has both adequate padding as well as a profile that fits your posture.

Personally, I also prefer the race back seats. I settle against the hump and it's a really comfortable riding position, no effort required to stay in position. I tend to sit pretty far back on the seat anyway, though, so maybe that's just me.

If your motor mounts are worn/ovaled/hard, that isn't helping anything, either. I use urethane mounts and like them a lot, but some people think they transfer too much vibration. If your mounts are more than a few years old, that's one change that you can probably get some improved comfort from.

I tend to sit as upright as I can other than when accelerating, when I need the weight forward, but I never go into a crouch. I don't like the feel of it, and just flat don't need to.

Helmet-wise, I upgraded to an AGV Sportmodular carbon fiber helmet a couple years ago. It was not cheap, but it's super light (I think 3.3 lbs), which makes a big difference on the neck, especially on longer rides.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
Helmet-wise, I upgraded to an AGV Sportmodular carbon fiber helmet a couple years ago. It was not cheap, but it's super light (I think 3.3 lbs), which makes a big difference on the neck, especially on longer rides.
Dude, that is one sweet looking helmet. It isn't like I CAN'T afford one, but at three times what I spent on the bike ...

It's on my wish list now.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
I got it super-on-sale, like half off, and even then, I hesitated before clicking the "Order" button. It came with the pinlock shield for the visor, though, which was a necessity for me since I was still riding in the snow and cold when I bought it, so I'd have had to shell out the $40 or whatever those cost anyway.
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
Get serious about exercise and diet.

Link for exercises:
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323204
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
I got it super-on-sale, like half off, and even then, I hesitated before clicking the "Order" button. It came with the pinlock shield for the visor, though, which was a necessity for me since I was still riding in the snow and cold when I bought it, so I'd have had to shell out the $40 or whatever those cost anyway.
At that price INCLUDING the Pinlock it would be a no-brainer.

Or perhaps that's the wrong term to use when referring to a helmet.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Well I'm classed as having chronic pain ,meaning it's lasted over a year in my back. I have diffuse discs in lumber region. I have trouble riding my px but not my pk but this might be due to the px being a lot heavier than the pk and just putting it on its stand can cause me issues. Maybe it's psychological, but maybe I get tense because the pk handles so much easier than a px . I relax more riding as have confidence leaning into corners and they are just more stable than px. The px rarely goes out now as I always feel mullered in my back and that's just over a 30 min ride to work. Years ago I had a king and queen seat and that was really comfy. Guess you have to ask yourself whether your back eases when you sit in a chair and have your thighs lower rather than at right angles , possibly then get a seat that is taller or seat that is shorter in height depending on you as it makes huge difference to my pain in general work. I use a triangular slant in office chair which is changing my leg position. So translating that to a Vespa means higher seat for me. Maybe a Yankee seat, they have a step in them and comfy too.
@gmontag avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@gmontag avatar
UTC quote
Largeframes have a center of weight that is somewhat to the right. You have to sit slightly funny to compensate.

Switch to a smallframe?

I also found that a shoulder bag was murdering my back. A backpack with 2 straps is much better.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
How is it that the Vintage Scooter Forum has become the Vintage Rider Forum? Razz emoticon
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
Because the only riders left riding vintage scooters are themselves in fact, vintage.
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
^^^^
Had to put my readers on to type that.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
How is it that the Vintage Scooter Forum has become the Vintage Rider Forum? Razz emoticon
Cause we are all pushing 60 in the uk . One guy I know had to get a GTS auto as he couldn't use PX clutch or gear twist due to arthritis . Maybe he didn't have a cosa clutch 🤣🤣🤣 yeah , it's a bit depressing. Put up with the bad backs , ride your scooters and man up, including myself .
@orwell84 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@orwell84 avatar
UTC quote
I think part of the problem is sitting for long periods of time while being tensed up. Probably worse than an office chair. I think taking breaks when riding to stretch out might help. I'm 52 and am relatively pain free…until I stop moving.
UTC

'63 GL, '74 PV

'63 GL, '74 PV
UTC quote
A kidney belt might help.
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP
UTC quote
I have degenerative disc disease which causes a bit of pain. Stretching and core muscle work are part of my daily routine. Riding doesn't affect my back too much as I'm bending forward which actually gives me a bit of relief. Most of my scooter riding is shortish trips around town but when I do multi day trips on my motorcycle I have to pop some anti-inflammatories. Find the posture which is best for you - upright or hunched over. As far as your scoot goes, the standard shocks aren't great. I put Carbone shocks on mine. Cheap and quite a difference.
@hibbert avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa

Molto Verboso
@hibbert avatar
Vespa
UTC quote
I too suffer from disc injury. Finally I had to remove the Super Corsa seat for an original type with springs one of the best decisions I've made.
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)
UTC quote
My wife got me this Razz emoticon
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
hibbert wrote:
I too suffer from disc injury. Finally I had to remove the Super Corsa seat for an original type with springs one of the best decisions I've made.
Yes me too, I was off work for 4 months as could hardly move, the fast back race seats like a corsa , snettorton are too low and hurt like hell. What got me back on my feet funnily enough and pushing through pain was getting a beat up scooter to get fixed up; ultimate distraction and helped me forget I was in pain. Yes to the kidney belt too, really good. I put mine on with the px as protects back when putting on stand. For six quid bargain and really helps you with riding too.
OP
@shampoo avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
P200E

Enthusiast
@shampoo avatar
P200E
UTC quote
I once did 3 days of enduro riding in Romania and by the end of day 3 I couldn't walk.. I was hunched over, popping back pain killers for days.

This came from sitting too much on the bike. If I stand more, no more back pain. This pain I get the next day from riding my Vespa is the same. I am fine on the Vespa. No pain at all.. Even later on that day.. No issues. But when I get up the next morning, HOLY!

So I think the issue is the jarring the pot holes do on my back.

I'll look at a better seat. But I also think I just need to ride it more.

Thanks everyone
@velasquez avatar
UTC

Addicted
1978 P150X; 1982 P200e

Addicted
@velasquez avatar
1978 P150X; 1982 P200e
UTC quote
Glad I'm not the only one with back issues. Daily core exercises were a game changer. They're cheaper than a new seat too
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
In order of $$$:

Force your lower spine straight.
More difficult on the P seats. It's uncomfortable to sit forward enough to avoid a little slouch on those wirey bastards.

Brief Yoga after you ride. The Pigeon Pose works really well. Takes just a few minutes.

A weight-lifting/kidney/lumbar support/gym belt.

Foam seat. Read the description.
They also carry riding belts:

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/seat-sip-classic-comfort_7550CCBL?q=seat
That's me, the otherwise slouchaholic, on the blue bike in the middle. Foam seat. No belt.
That's me, the otherwise slouchaholic, on the blue bike in the middle. Foam seat. No belt.
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
Birdsnest wrote:
Because the only riders left riding vintage scooters are themselves in fact, vintage.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
^^^^
Exactly this.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0181s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0058s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]