@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
Searching online, I can find that oil drain and fill plugs are an M8, not finding thread pitch. I want to chase threads of holes and plugs to clean them up.

They are Gran Sport plugs

Magnetic drain plug in drain hole starts about 25% of the time, it's hard to get started, once you get it started it'll tighten up using your fingers.

Magnetic drain plug in fill hole starts easily.

The fill hole plug goes starts in both holes easily.

Anyway hoping I can clean up threads and take care of annoyance.
⚠️ Last edited by Christopher_55934 on UTC; edited 1 time
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb
UTC quote
I*think* (90% certain) 1.25 but I am not at home to measure and confirm.
OP
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
Measured both drain plugs they are M8x1.25 threads. Purchased a made in Japan tap and die as they were the best Northern Tool had. None of the threads made me ask "Why am I doing this?", drain plug with magnet was worst offender and I wondered if I was cross threading it into die. I wasn't and in the end you can now thread magnetic drain plug by hand until its gasket seats.

I can't recommend Gran Sport brand magnetic drain plugs. Something as simple as that plug just cost me $16.36 (plugs) + $18.00 (tap&die)+ $6.50 (gas)+ 2 hours of my life, figuring out threads on drain plug just weren't cut correctly.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Each and every single time I split the cases on any of my engines, I automatically install a Time-Sert into the drain plug hole (whether it's needed or not). I've exclusively used the G.S. magnetic plugs in all of my cases (something like 12 different cases). I've have zero issues with the GS brand oil plugs. They come as a paired set, but only one of the plugs has a magnet in it.

I did buy the $5 SIP brand magnetic oil plug...only once. SIP uses a VERY weak magnetic. So weak it is, that the oil drain plug won't actually stick to steel!

I haven't used the BGM magnetic plugs yet, but they looks to be very nice quality. From the pictures, it appears that the pair of plug both have a magnet in them? If that the case, then they're twice the deal cost wise, when compared to the GS brand.
⚠️ Last edited by whodatschrome on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
Each and every single time I split the cases on any of my engines, I automatically install a Time-Sert into the drain plug hole (whether it's needed or not). I've exclusively used the G.S. magnetic plugs in all of my cases (something like 12 different cases). I've have zero issues with the GS brand oil plugs. They come as a paired set, but only one of the plugs has a magnet in it.

I did buy the $5 SIP brand magnetic oil plug...only once. SIP uses a VERY weak magnetic. So weak it is, that the oil drain plug won't actually still to steel!

I haven't used the BGM magnetic plugs yet, but they looks to be very nice quality. From the pictures, it appears that the pair of plug both have a magnet in them? If that the case, then they're twice the deal cost wise, when compared to the GS brand.
I must have had bad luck with mine from Gran Sport.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
I just found an old pic on my phone of a Grand Sport vs a SIP magnetic oil drain plug. The GS plug is the one on the right that actually works. The SIP magnet isn't even strong enough to stick to clean metal!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
I just found an old pic on my phone of a Grand Sport vs a SIP magnetic oil drain plug. The GS plug is the one on the right that actually works. The SIP magnet isn't even strong enough to stick to clean metal!
Gran sport must use a neodymium magnet or something similar. Mine was is strong also. Good to know about staying away from SIP version.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0124s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0043s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]