@scottsa avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1979 Vespa P200

Enthusiast
@scottsa avatar
1979 Vespa P200
UTC quote
It's been a while! Recently (yesterday) snagged a '79 P200. First vintage scoot. I've been looking for a while and this seemed like a good project! Previous owner said motor ran fine, but was blowing a fuse. Whole headset is apart. I was able to start it and motor sounds decent. I'm pretty sure I need to replace all the cables and wiring harness. Figured I'd try to get it running before I did a full tear down, but that's looking less and less likely.

My current issue is the front brake cable is pretty much toast and the throttle cable seems...short? When I get the throttle assembly together, its basically WOT, no play in the cable.

At this point, I will probably pull everything apart and try to get it media blasted and repainted, it has a pretty bad overspray job. Then I can install all new cables and wiring harness. Only cost me $500 so it'll be a fun project. More or less mechanically sound, just wiring and cables are in bad shape. I'm also not really certain if its a P or PX 200.

Glad to be back!

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@finyoshi avatar
UTC

Addicted
Parmakit Primavera -74, Polini Primavera -68, VR-One 228 150 Touring -59, VMC 177 Bajaj Chetak 125 -95

Addicted
@finyoshi avatar
Parmakit Primavera -74, Polini Primavera -68, VR-One 228 150 Touring -59, VMC 177 Bajaj Chetak 125 -95
UTC quote
I'd definitely buy one like that for 500 Wha? emoticon

You should check that the throttle cable is fully seated on the headset and carb side. There should be a top hat on the cable that seats into a bracket inside the headset. The cable could be sitting on the edge of the hat and hat may not be seated in the bracket. Otherwise it's a matter of replacing the cables.

Little tip: If you decide to pull out the harness, attach a wire to it so you have something to pull the new stuff in the same way it was. If you are not super familiar with the routing (like behind or in front of the lock etc...) this will save your bacon and a lot of time.

Replacing the cables is also easier if you get a wire that is 2x the lenght of the longest cable. You can feed that through the old and new outer cables and then pull the new one in at the same time you pull the old one out.
OP
@scottsa avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1979 Vespa P200

Enthusiast
@scottsa avatar
1979 Vespa P200
UTC quote
FINYoshi wrote:
I'd definitely buy one like that for 500 Wha? emoticon

You should check that the throttle cable is fully seated on the headset and carb side. There should be a top hat on the cable that seats into a bracket inside the headset. The cable could be sitting on the edge of the hat and hat may not be seated in the bracket. Otherwise it's a matter of replacing the cables.

Little tip: If you decide to pull out the harness, attach a wire to it so you have something to pull the new stuff in the same way it was. If you are not super familiar with the routing (like behind or in front of the lock etc...) this will save your bacon and a lot of time.

Replacing the cables is also easier if you get a wire that is 2x the lenght of the longest cable. You can feed that through the old and new outer cables and then pull the new one in at the same time you pull the old one out.
Thanks for the suggestions. I am probably going to replace the throttle cable, not sure why, but its too short! it is properly seated. I"m hoping to get it running so I can verify things are mostly working before I tear it down. I'd like to get it stripped and repainted if I'm going to put a bunch of work into it!
OP
@scottsa avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1979 Vespa P200

Enthusiast
@scottsa avatar
1979 Vespa P200
UTC quote
Figured out the throttle cable issue, the bushing was inside the headset, as opposed to the outside. Rode it around, pulls hard. Now that I know it works well and runs pretty good, I've started to tear it down so I can strip and repaint it and put all new wires, cables, bushings, gaskets, etc.

progress thus far: tank pulled (doing a cleaning regimen on that), carb and airbox/oil pump, headset, steering column, and a bunch of cables and wires. You can see the original color where i pulled the horn cover. progress is exciting. little bit at a time.

UTC

Addicted
1968 VBB150

Addicted
1968 VBB150
UTC quote
Looks like we are building our Ps at the same time!! Good luck, and keep the pics coming.
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but buying a vintage and immediately tearing it apart is where project bikes come from for the rest of us. It's a harsh beginning. It's how I started with my Lambretta and I almost gave up scooters altogether from the frustration.

Now, the good news is we are here for you to help and the P200 is the ideal first vintage bike. It's just that living with a runner for a year or two can yield so much useful experience before you get knee deep in a torn apart motor.

So, when you do get frustrated (we all do, it's the nature of the thing), come ask for help instead of letting it fester.
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
^^^
All of that.

Good luck we're rooting for ya!
@cdevillasante avatar
UTC

Addicted
1979 P200, 1960 Lambretta s2, 1975 Rally 200

Addicted
@cdevillasante avatar
1979 P200, 1960 Lambretta s2, 1975 Rally 200
UTC quote
Glad to have another 79 p200 getting on the road again! I will be watching this and welcome!
UTC

Addicted
1968 VBB150

Addicted
1968 VBB150
UTC quote
'"Little tip: If you decide to pull out the harness, attach a wire to it so you have something to pull the new stuff in the same way it was. If you are not super familiar with the routing (like behind or in front of the lock etc...) this will save your bacon and a lot of time."

This is AWESOME advice. I am going to tape one string to each wire set I need to pull (and label the strings with tape) so when I need to, I can just pull them straight through.

I bought some thin piano wire for the outer cables so I can do the same thing with those.
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
dsnyder586 wrote:
'"Little tip: If you decide to pull out the harness, attach a wire to it so you have something to pull the new stuff in the same way it was. If you are not super familiar with the routing (like behind or in front of the lock etc...) this will save your bacon and a lot of time."

This is AWESOME advice. I am going to tape one string to each wire set I need to pull (and label the strings with tape) so when I need to, I can just pull them straight through.

I bought some thin piano wire for the outer cables so I can do the same thing with those.
tape 2 for each, in case you lose one...
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
When you reinstall a wiring harness, you will know the meaning of frustration . Semi-kidding here, that was the worse part of my first P200 rebuild. I would have also told you to ride it for awhile and fix what needs fixing as you go, but as you are determined (and already started) to tear it apart, plan on spending at least $1500 or so for a complete refresh - and that's probably on the cheap side. But whatever, as SDjohn said, we are here to help when needed.
OP
@scottsa avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1979 Vespa P200

Enthusiast
@scottsa avatar
1979 Vespa P200
UTC quote
Thanks all. I'm doing this for me, and not for some flip. Everything is a learning process! I'm definitely interested in running auxiliary wires/pulls when i pull the harness. I'm making efforts to try and refurb/reuse things that I can and replace stuff that needs to be. I will definitely be asking for help
OP
@scottsa avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1979 Vespa P200

Enthusiast
@scottsa avatar
1979 Vespa P200
UTC quote
I do have one question right now. When I pulled the front fork, the lower steering bearing/race didn't have the dust cover. Is that something I'd have to pull the lower race in order to put a new dust cover/grease cup? Or does it fit over that?
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
Rule #1 - use lots of pictures
OP
@scottsa avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1979 Vespa P200

Enthusiast
@scottsa avatar
1979 Vespa P200
UTC quote
looks like just the bearing and the seat w/no dust cover:
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
I don't have the answer but you have now asked perfectly - someone will get you shortly...

Another rule I have for myself - if I really want the answer to a question, I stop adding more content afterward and burying my own question. I have a tendency to keep adding photos and more questions but I realized if I really want an answer - slow down the new content additions until after you get some pings.
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
Looks like it is missing the lower race or "grease cup"

Middle top in this link:
https://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Forks-and-Races/153024-25

SIP link should show the general order of the lower race compnents:
https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/category/klassik-vespa_2/spares_1751/vespa-125-150-rally-57_T6/suspension-vespa-125-150-rally-57_1773/steering-column-mudguard_1124
⚠️ Last edited by Birdsnest on UTC; edited 1 time
@finyoshi avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@finyoshi avatar
UTC quote
SIP has pretty good explos for many scooters:
https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/explos?scooter-type=T5
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
it looks like you probably have 6,7, and 8 but not 9 in that diagram that Finyoshi attached
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
^^^

That's the one I meant to post!
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
if you haven't yet, print out this:

http://scooterhelp.com/serial/VNX1T.VSX1T.parts.book.html
OP
@scottsa avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1979 Vespa P200

Enthusiast
@scottsa avatar
1979 Vespa P200
UTC quote
Awesome, thanks. After i saw that diagram, i assumed it was missing. Ideally i'll replace the entire upper and lower while i'm in there, i just need the tools Razz emoticon Anyone in San Antonio with those bearing pullers and presses?
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
@finyoshi avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@finyoshi avatar
UTC quote
I used hammer and a long threaded rod to knock the races loose from the frame and tapped new ones in with a big socket.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
ScottSA wrote:
I do have one question right now. When I pulled the front fork, the lower steering bearing/race didn't have the dust cover. Is that something I'd have to pull the lower race in order to put a new dust cover/grease cup? Or does it fit over that?
Yeah, you have to pull the lower bearing race. Use an old putty knife to get it started, hammering into the gap all around, then graduate to thin screwdrivers until you get it up high enuff to pry all around.

Another tip: When you strip it for painting, use your loom and cables to pull your piano or mechanic's wires into place and leave them there during painting, ready to pull the new into place when painting is done. For cables they should be TWICE + the length of the outer and you can coil up the extra, tight and out of the way. Or just leave the loom and outers in place until after it's painted if you're not all that fussy.
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
Since you're painting, it may not be a useful tip - but honestly a lot of people will change the bearing and leave the races unless they are gnarly. Just FYI.
OP
@scottsa avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1979 Vespa P200

Enthusiast
@scottsa avatar
1979 Vespa P200
UTC quote
sdjohn wrote:
Since you're painting, it may not be a useful tip - but honestly a lot of people will change the bearing and leave the races unless they are gnarly. Just FYI.
the upper is pretty gnarly, figured while i've got it pulled apart would probably be good to tackle. i'll probably worry about replacing them AFTER paint, then i won't have to worry about masking/cleaning those areas as much.
OP
@scottsa avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1979 Vespa P200

Enthusiast
@scottsa avatar
1979 Vespa P200
UTC quote
more progress to get ready to paint. I made sure to pull some cord through with the harness and cables. did one for the headset stuff and the area behind the horn cover. still need to remove the floorboard rivets. any hints on the drill bit size for those? the gas tank area is in pretty good shape, might need some rust jelly in some spots and I'll probably brush some primer over those areas. the fender light contacts on the fender and body all have good continuity so no need to replace those!

@chatis avatar
UTC

Hooked
1963 Vespa VBB, 1965 Allstate Cruisaire, 1974 Vespa Super, 1980 Vespa P200, 2003 Stella 2T, 2008 Steall 2T, 2022 Royal Alloy 150 GT

Hooked
@chatis avatar
1963 Vespa VBB, 1965 Allstate Cruisaire, 1974 Vespa Super, 1980 Vespa P200, 2003 Stella 2T, 2008 Steall 2T, 2022 Royal Alloy 150 GT
UTC quote
Welcome to the madness.

To remove the floor rail rivets use a chisel. Search the forum for how to do it. You basically turn it upside down and cut the heads off the rivets underneath. Piece of cake.

I am also currently in the process of restoring a 1980 P200: New addition to the collection - Now What?. Need to update that.

The forum has loads of knowledgeable and helpful folk. Good luck!
OP
@scottsa avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1979 Vespa P200

Enthusiast
@scottsa avatar
1979 Vespa P200
UTC quote
Is using the peen rivets along the outer/visible areas an aesthetics thing? Or is there a technical reason? If I could just use pop rivets on all the floorboard runners that would be a heck of a lot easier!
@finyoshi avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@finyoshi avatar
UTC quote
I think they are overall tighter fit and keep on their places better. Also there is no ugly "ball" hanging off when using peen rivets.

It's an easy to learn skill and you won't even think about using pop rivets on the runners after you learn it.
@chatis avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@chatis avatar
UTC quote
Yes, very easy to do. Great video on how to do this on Robots channel. Basically, just push the head of the rivet and tap, tap, tap the end. Need to cut it back so it's not too long. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5LReCuulPQ

I use pop rivets on the bottom rails with a washer. I think that is also on that same video.
@orwell84 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@orwell84 avatar
UTC quote
I turned the scooter over and ground the rivets off with a dremel after putting a piece of tape over the rivet to protect the paint. Then I punched them through. You can also use small bolts with self locking nuts. If you use pop rivets, you still can peen the other side flat. But give the solid rivets a try. Just takes a little practice to get the hang of it. Lots of soft well placed taps until you get in the groove of it.
OP
@scottsa avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1979 Vespa P200

Enthusiast
@scottsa avatar
1979 Vespa P200
UTC quote
thanks for the chisel suggestion, that worked great! I'll probably do the pop rivet + washer and peen rivets where they can been seen. i'll give it a try!

one big question i have is how do i work around the original manufacturer's decals? i can knock the overspray and overlap paint off, but would i just mask it up real well, prime, and paint?

another question i have is, what holes should be on the back fender. before i start patching up all the holes on the back i want to try and figure out what should and shouldn't be there. I have a new euro tail light coming in so i can make sure those are correct. There are some holes from a luggage rack that i'd like to patch up. without the US light mount, i'll have to figure out the US plate mount, suggestions?

more progress:

UTC

Addicted
1968 VBB150

Addicted
1968 VBB150
UTC quote
Holy smokes- Sorry I havent chimed in- I JUST finished my 1980P and went through all of this.

You will NEED 4 holes for the US taillight- three for bolts and one for wires.

Sometimes there are two more towards the bottom for the rear "skirt' mudflap. The license plate goes on the taillight bracket with two bolts.

There was a summer of citrus, should this be a summer of P?
UTC

Addicted
1968 VBB150

Addicted
1968 VBB150
UTC quote
Also, 2nd ave scooters in PHX makes the stickers, so you can order them. (The metallic emissions and vin ones) and they are not too pricey. much easier and cleaner than trying to mask/preserve the originals.
OP
@scottsa avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1979 Vespa P200

Enthusiast
@scottsa avatar
1979 Vespa P200
UTC quote
dsnyder586 wrote:
Also, 2nd ave scooters in PHX makes the stickers, so you can order them. (The metallic emissions and vin ones) and they are not too pricey. much easier and cleaner than trying to mask/preserve the originals.
Nice, thanks! this will make things much easier. I'll order them before I start stripping them off
OP
@scottsa avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1979 Vespa P200

Enthusiast
@scottsa avatar
1979 Vespa P200
UTC quote
dsnyder586 wrote:
Holy smokes- Sorry I havent chimed in- I JUST finished my 1980P and went through all of this.

You will NEED 4 holes for the US taillight- three for bolts and one for wires.

Sometimes there are two more towards the bottom for the rear "skirt' mudflap. The license plate goes on the taillight bracket with two bolts.

There was a summer of citrus, should this be a summer of P?
i wasn't intending on using the US taillight, ordered a euro style one to figure out which of those to keep. in addition, there are two square holes at the very bottom vertical bit, those seem like i should keep
UTC

Addicted
1968 VBB150

Addicted
1968 VBB150
UTC quote
Also Also, I tried a "new" trick and shockingly it worked. I sprayed my rubber pieces with silicone and put them in ziplock bags for a few days.

WOW. All but one became pliable and useable again. This from a bike that was outside in the desert for YEARS.
UTC

Addicted
1968 VBB150

Addicted
1968 VBB150
UTC quote
ScottSA wrote:
i wasn't intending on using the US taillight, ordered a euro style one to figure out which of those to keep. in addition, there are two square holes at the very bottom vertical bit, those seem like i should keep
Ya, the bottom ones are factory for the mudflap. I have an extra you can have- it has a tiny split, but definitely useable. PM me. I also have a piaggio emblem for the horncast if yours is missing.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0264s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0084s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]