OP
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 500

Enthusiast
MP3 500
UTC quote
So I am looking at a few different options, either go with a pre 2018 model and skip out on the HPE engine and save about $3,000 (after tax and fees) or just bite the bullet and buy new and get warranty and the latest options.

The engine is the biggest difference I believe, not sure if traction control is a big deal but like to hear some opinion on what you all think if the upgrade is worth it.

I live in NYC so it'll be my primary means of getting around so I will likely be putting a lot of miles on it..
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
The older 500ie is a proven platform and has become very attainable. I would stay away from the previous gen MP3s (pre-2016 in the US) due to age

IMO, the hpe is a bit of a marketing hype exercise and is essentially a warmed over version of the old ie motor (primarily for emissions reasons) although at a higher price tag.

However, yesterday the new 2023 MP3 530 was officially launched. Looks wise not really to my liking at all, but it is the next evolution in the MP3 saga but the price tag is a bit ridiculous at 13K Euro/14K US for what is still essentially a 15+ year old platform and engine.

Just be aware that these scoots require more maintenance than the average Honda, so if you must have a MP3 with a security blanket then I would opt for brand new with the optional 2 year extended factory warranty (4 years total). The warranty can easily pay for itself if you plan to use the bike a lot. Also don't overlook the fact that being Italian they like to rust so if you ride in the cold be sure to keep it clean to keep the rust bug at bay.

@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
I had a 2019 MP3 500ie for 2500 miles and now am riding a 2020 MP3 500 HPE.

There was a noticeable, but not huge, difference in power.

I turn off the traction control every time I get on. I imagine it could be useful in slippery conditions, but on dry pavement it's more annoying than anything.

If it's not a financial hardship, I would go with the newer model.
UTC

Hooked
2019 MP3 500 Sport

Hooked
2019 MP3 500 Sport
UTC quote
If you are and stay in NYC the mileage will be way down compared to most places. IMO... find a reliable shop close to you and then find a recent low mileage model. They are. pretty much the same. The key is to maintain them well, and for that it helps to. have a nearby shop. I know. someone in the Bay Area that bought a new one last year but now doesn't want to do the pigrimmage to the dealer even for warranty service.

I got my pristine and beloved 2019 with not even 1k miles in 2020 for 6.4k on craigslist.You have to be a bit hands on with them given the very patchy dealer network in the USA... at least in CA. But I love it.

Never gone to the official. local shop which is over 50 miles away from me and I can't bother.

Akrapovic can - although very expensive -made a significant throttle responsiveness and perceived performance difference.
@new200guy avatar
UTC

Addicted
2019 MP3 500hpe Sport

Addicted
@new200guy avatar
2019 MP3 500hpe Sport
UTC quote
I went from a 400ie to the 500HPE after I was rear ended and my 400 was totaled out. Got what I paid for it minus the cost associated with maintenance. I love the 500HPE. The additional power was a great and needed upgrade. So far I've kept mine stock with plans on just replacing the muffler at some point and maybe making some type of mod for a navi holder. Currently my options are limited, so trying to come up with some home brew options that look good, appear stock, and don't require too many holes. Outside of the initial take off chatter that affect many dry clutch systems, it goes away after driving and the clutch warms up. I have a sport, and outside of the seat not being as comfy, this is my opinion, it was a nice improvement. Had 65000km on the 400 before the total loss, and would have continued to ride it. Seeing the new 530HPE, I really like the new improvements and updates, but as most have said, the additional cost is a tough pill to swallow.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 500

Enthusiast
MP3 500
UTC quote
sbaert wrote:
The older 500ie is a proven platform and has become very attainable. I would stay away from the previous gen MP3s (pre-2016 in the US) due to age

IMO, the hpe is a bit of a marketing hype exercise and is essentially a warmed over version of the old ie motor (primarily for emissions reasons) although at a higher price tag.

However, yesterday the new 2023 MP3 530 was officially launched. Looks wise not really to my liking at all, but it is the next evolution in the MP3 saga but the price tag is a bit ridiculous at 13K Euro/14K US for what is still essentially a 15+ year old platform and engine.

Just be aware that these scoots require more maintenance than the average Honda, so if you must have a MP3 with a security blanket then I would opt for brand new with the optional 2 year extended factory warranty (4 years total). The warranty can easily pay for itself if you plan to use the bike a lot. Also don't overlook the fact that being Italian they like to rust so if you ride in the cold be sure to keep it clean to keep the rust bug at bay.

Yeah I did see the intro and it didn't make the decision easier, its tempting with many small quality of life improvement but that $14k price hike ($17k with prep n tax) is bit hard to swallow. I guess after 13 years the price bound to go up. I did ask my dealer about it and he said that there's no guarantee that Piaggio will release it here next year and that it may be released as a 2024 model instead. Sounds like a late roll out was the case for the HPE model also.

I am aware of the maintenance cost, I am not mechanically inclined, no room to do it either (tiny nyc apartment) and the cost for regular services was part of the reason why I didn't go out and bought another one after my last 2010 Fuoco died two years ago. So I guess I am also leaning towards buying new..
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0366s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0123s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]