Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:30 pm

Hooked
Stella 2T 150, Honda C70

Hooked
Stella 2T 150, Honda C70
Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:30 pm linkquote
I've been debating how to deal with the messy hole that was once where the steering lock was. I stumbled across this medallion in the shop and it was the perfect fit. It took about an hour with a dremel and a handful of files to slowly cut out and clean up the worst of the twisted metal and then a couple persuasive hammer blows to put all the metal into the same curves plane. Now I dont even need to name the scooter, she will just be Beatrix.

Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:18 am

Hooked
'66 Sears Cruisaire Smallframe

Hooked
'66 Sears Cruisaire Smallframe
Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:18 am linkquote
Oh, that's a fun detail.
Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:29 am

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 2005 70cc Yamaha Vino

Molto Verboso
Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:29 am linkquote
whereshaldo wrote:
While I'm watching paint dry and contemplating how to fix some things, ill pivot and work on other parts.

I purchased this light switch repair kit, not because I'm cheap, but because I love fixing things. So I ordered this repair kit from sip but I can't totally figure out how to make it all work.

The kit is this: https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/repair-set-lightswitch-femsa_89472000

Having taken apart my existing switch I am struggling with what springs go where, and how to remove the high/low switch. I'm guessing the e-clip is used here but it doesn't really make sense. Maybe this kit doesn't even work.

Thoughts?
I have the og teardrop switch that came on mine. It's missing the teardrop though. If you have that part I can send you the switch
Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:30 am

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:30 am linkquote
whereshaldo wrote:
I've been debating how to deal with the messy hole that was once where the steering lock was. I stumbled across this medallion in the shop and it was the perfect fit. It took about an hour with a dremel and a handful of files to slowly cut out and clean up the worst of the twisted metal and then a couple persuasive hammer blows to put all the metal into the same curves plane. Now I dont even need to name the scooter, she will just be Beatrix.
I'd like to have been a fly on the wall when the PO took out that steering lock barrel. Holy Moses.
Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:55 am

Hooked
Stella 2T 150, Honda C70

Hooked
Stella 2T 150, Honda C70
Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:55 am linkquote
Depending on how quickly you want the rim or rims, I can sandblast and prime them if you want. I've got a friend with a shop with a sandblaster. I could still get them out this week. Just let me know if you need one or two.

On the switch can you send a pic of the guts? I'm still trying to sort out what I'm doing as mu understanding is that there are some electrical and switch differences from '58 to somewhere in the '60s with regard to the stator, etc.

In other bits I'm still looking for is:
Short floor rail (the kind without the hooks)
Bulb holder for the speedo
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:11 am

Hooked
Stella 2T 150, Honda C70

Hooked
Stella 2T 150, Honda C70
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:11 am linkquote
Finally managed to get a workable switch thanks to @FridayMatinee and using the not-correct repair kit I bought from SIP (https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/repair-set-lightswitch-femsa_89472000)

The issue with these switches seems to be 3 fold.

First is that the spring for the high/low beam gets rusty and loses its action.

Second is that the high/low switch itself is plastic not bakelite and so it rots out around the pivot post and then is basically useless.

There is no real way to replace the spring except by cutting the metal ring that is hidden inside the plastic but then you can easily remove the old switch arm and the one from the kit can be pressed over the flared end of the pivot post. If you go this route the replacement kit comes with a longer spring-holder shaft which you can put into the hole at the top of the contact arm and then press the switch over the post using a small socket to press it firmly down.

The carrier for the teardrop switch is a different matter and the one that comes with the SIP kit is not correct, it is too tall and will hit the bridge between position B (parking & speedo lights only) and D (headlight on as well). Luckily this is more easily bent out of the way and you can re-use the old carrier. The teardrop that comes with the SIP kit has wider teeth to engage the carrier but these can easily be filed to fit.

I'll see if this actually works in the end. The contact arm for the high low beam firmly hits the posts but does not make great contact against the contacts in the bakelite. This may require some small solder blobs to build up the contact surface.

If it does work however, its $50 saved which is worth the efforts.

DoubleGood Vespa Design  

All Content Copyright 2005-2022 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa

[ Time: 0.0406s ][ Queries: 7 (0.0177s) ][ Debug on ][ 211 ][ Thing One ]