OP
UTC

Vespa GTS

Vespa GTS
UTC quote
Dear all,
I have a problem with my 2018 300gts Vespa.
The front brake lever turn hard but once the abs light turns off ( 5km/h) I just press it and it turns normal. Abs is perfectly working ( I have tested it ) . The past week I have changed the brake pads and the problem seemed solved. After 2 days of Garage the problem coming back.
Appreciate any help, thanks in advance.
-A
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
UTC quote
I've read a few posts of people with locked brake levers. From what I've read, it's a failed ABS module. That's seems to line up with your comment about the problem being tied to the ABS light.

But very expensive to replace, so you'd want to be sure.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 57,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
have you checked tire pressure followed by calibrating the ASR (as described in the manual)?
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
UTC quote
steelbytes wrote:
have you checked tire pressure followed by calibrating the ASR (as described in the manual)?
ASR and tyre pressure have nothing to do with the brakes. ASR and ABS both depend on signals from the speed rings, but that is the only connection.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
Mike Holland wrote:
ASR and tyre pressure have nothing to do with the brakes. ASR and ABS both depend on signals from the speed rings, but that is the only connection.
worth a try regardless

[other stuff deleted]
⚠️ Last edited by SteelBytes on UTC; edited 2 times
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
I see that you are in Rome. Is there anyone there who sells or works on Vespas?
If you are not happy with the garage you took it to, try the one on the next block.
If that doesn't work, throw a rock, you will probably hit someone who knows how to fix your scooter.
When you do find someone to work on it, ask them if they know how to install a Piaggio windshield on a Liberty.
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
UTC quote
Steelbytes, when you apply the brakes hard and the ABS kicks in, it stops you in jerks, because it releases the brakes a bit when the wheel stops turning, ie. skidding. So how does calibration affect the "not turning" condition? If it detects that the wheel is stopped, tyre pressure and circumference make no difference. The ABS converts the skid into skid-release-skid-release in a series of jerks.

Yes, I know there are much more sophisticated versions of ABS which will reduce the brake pressure when the wheel is almost stopped, but Vespa ABS does not do this, it is all-or-nothing. (Unless the HPE models have more sophisticated ABS than my 2015 and 2018 models.)
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
Mike Holland wrote:
sorry, I rechecked my notes and the ID of the calibration value is NOT near the ABS front+rear wheel values. My memory is faulty 😳
OP
UTC

Vespa GTS

Vespa GTS
UTC quote
Dear all ,
so , I have " stressed " and forced the ABS by front brake …. the problem seems gone … just knock on wood and I'll let you know .
Thank you
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
@bluside avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie

Addicted
@bluside avatar
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie
UTC quote
I have this same problem with my rear brake lever on my 2020 GTS. I have also posted about it on other threads. It seems to be a problem that keeps coming up with thee ABS unit.

Right now, my Vespa is unridable as the lever is completely stuck and i have no rear brakes. My dealer is about 75 miles away.

I have filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) here in the US. This is a serious safety concern and one that I hope Vespa will address with a recall.

If anyone else is having this problem, please file a safety issue report with the NHTSA.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0631s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0373s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]