Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:18 pm

Molto Verboso
Joined: 29 Nov 2020
Posts: 1042
Location: Los Angeles
 
Molto Verboso
Joined: 29 Nov 2020
Posts: 1042
Location: Los Angeles
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:18 pm linkquote
Academic question, since this happened a while ago and no issues since.

Due to Covid and some small repairs, bike sat garaged for five weeks. It had the cheapest 91 octane gas within a mile of here, and premixed before filling the bike. Ran fine before sitting.

Tap on reserve, starts fine. A block away it totally bogs for about 100m in all throttle positions, then clears out and I ride to work.
End of day same thing for 50m. No issues since.

Tank and carb filters clean. No leaks. The only similar experience happened after filling at a gas station and pouring oil with the tap on reserve.

I understand premix can't separate in 5 weeks, but can ethanol affect this?

Has anyone had a similar "event?"
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:52 pm

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
Joined: 02 Nov 2019
Posts: 3059
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
 
Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
Joined: 02 Nov 2019
Posts: 3059
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:52 pm linkquote
Ray8 wrote:
Academic question, since this happened a while ago and no issues since.

Due to Covid and some small repairs, bike sat garaged for five weeks. It had the cheapest 91 octane gas within a mile of here, and premixed before filling the bike. Ran fine before sitting.

Tap on reserve, starts fine. A block away it totally bogs for about 100m in all throttle positions, then clears out and I ride to work.
End of day same thing for 50m. No issues since.

Tank and carb filters clean. No leaks. The only similar experience happened after filling at a gas station and pouring oil with the tap on reserve.

I understand premix can't separate in 5 weeks, but can ethanol affect this?

Has anyone had a similar "event?"
Water in tank that is getting sucked up? I would think vibration alone from running would mix up oil.
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:03 pm

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 11846
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
 
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 11846
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:03 pm linkquote
depending on the type of premix it could see separating especially with the ethanol % if sitting for that long.

my guess is that it was just a little grumpy from sitting around considering it was just that kind of one time event.
Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:48 pm

Molto Verboso
Joined: 29 Nov 2020
Posts: 1042
Location: Los Angeles
 
Molto Verboso
Joined: 29 Nov 2020
Posts: 1042
Location: Los Angeles
Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:48 pm linkquote
Motul 710.

FWIW I'm pulling gas from the tank on reserve, so bottom of the barrel. Drilled the reserve channel on a stock Piaggio tap 5mm for faster-flow, but couldn't figure a way to drill the other channel without removing the funnel.

Bike ran fine up until the tank fuel hit the carb.

Have to shelve the two premix bikes in the garage in December. Thinking of removing the ethanol and storing them without it, for the hell of it.
Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:37 pm

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
Joined: 02 Nov 2019
Posts: 3059
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
 
Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
Joined: 02 Nov 2019
Posts: 3059
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:37 pm linkquote
Ray8 wrote:
Motul 710.

FWIW I'm pulling gas from the tank on reserve, so bottom of the barrel. Drilled the reserve channel on a stock Piaggio tap 5mm for faster-flow, but couldn't figure a way to drill the other channel without removing the funnel.

Bike ran fine up until the tank fuel hit the carb.

Have to shelve the two premix bikes in the garage in December. Thinking of removing the ethanol and storing them without it, for the hell of it.
I do run ethanol free in my scooter just because it sits more and ethanol attracts moisture. I also have access to a premium pump so I don't get a gallon or so of ethanol with ethanol free. If you can't find ethanol free only pump / hose put a few gallons in car then fill up a gas can.
Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:52 pm

Hooked
'58 VBA '79CT90
Joined: 25 Dec 2019
Posts: 142
Location: Chico CA
 
Hooked
'58 VBA '79CT90
Joined: 25 Dec 2019
Posts: 142
Location: Chico CA
Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:52 pm linkquote
List of stations that sell ethanol free fuel.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

And don't forget Sunoco sells it in 5 gal buckets
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:05 pm

Hooked
64 V90 survivor '65 Allstate survivor. '75 V90 SOLD. '77 P200 SOLD
Joined: 30 May 2018
Posts: 390
Location: Madison WI
 
Hooked
64 V90 survivor '65 Allstate survivor. '75 V90 SOLD. '77 P200 SOLD
Joined: 30 May 2018
Posts: 390
Location: Madison WI
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:05 pm linkquote
Here in Madison I get 91 octane ethanol free.
Have been using it with Motul 510 for the last 4 years with no separation issues. I also add 1 ounce of Seafoam per gallon.
Store thru the winter with a full tank, just run carb dry.
No carb problems. Fresh plug and 1 kick start when I roll it out in the spring. Store it in my neighbors un heated garage.
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:33 pm

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 11846
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
 
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 11846
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:33 pm linkquote
Ray8 wrote:
Motul 710.

FWIW I'm pulling gas from the tank on reserve, so bottom of the barrel. Drilled the reserve channel on a stock Piaggio tap 5mm for faster-flow, but couldn't figure a way to drill the other channel without removing the funnel.

Bike ran fine up until the tank fuel hit the carb.

Have to shelve the two premix bikes in the garage in December. Thinking of removing the ethanol and storing them without it, for the hell of it.
I'd probably top up the tanks with 91 and 710 per usual and add a little seafoam for good measure while putting them up. if I know something is gonna be sitting I generally will kill the fuel and let the carb run dry. between that, good gas and seafoam I've had pretty good luck.

if you're in a pinch, you can get Tru-Fuel at Lowes and home desperate. either straight or at 50:1 and both work as advertised.
Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:32 pm

Ossessionato
2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
Joined: 26 May 2013
Posts: 4393
Location: That bushfire place
 
Ossessionato
2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
Joined: 26 May 2013
Posts: 4393
Location: That bushfire place
Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:32 pm linkquote
Fuel in float bowl evaporating, leaving oil behind?

Ie. dod you clean the mesh in bowl?
Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:03 pm

Molto Verboso
Joined: 29 Nov 2020
Posts: 1042
Location: Los Angeles
 
Molto Verboso
Joined: 29 Nov 2020
Posts: 1042
Location: Los Angeles
Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:03 pm linkquote
SubEtherBASS wrote:
Fuel in float bowl evaporating, leaving oil behind?

Ie. dod you clean the mesh in bowl?
I kicked it before turning on the tap, so I'm guessing the gas in the bowl was good. Ran fine, then bogged a bit after where it dies when I forget the tap.

Mesh and tank filter spotless after riding home. A little ethanol-related(?) funk at the bottom of the float bowl, but below the channel to the mj. Not first time I've seen that.

Michael Forrest has a method to remove ethanol. Going to give that a try before storing, just to see the result:

http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/no-alcohol.html
  DoubleGood Vespa Design  

All Content Copyright 2005-2022 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa

[ Time: 0.0281s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0075s) ][ Debug on ][ 211 ][ Thing One ]