Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:33 am

Member
2015 Sprint 150
Joined: 18 Jun 2022
Posts: 13
Location: New york
 
Member
2015 Sprint 150
Joined: 18 Jun 2022
Posts: 13
Location: New york
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:33 am linkquote
hello all , here's the issue I have, I hope this has happened to someone for good feedback.

On a cold start , she will start on first try then stall after 10 seconds and then I will have to try to push the start button 10 times before it will start again, and then I have to ride, then acceleration is very slow maybe 5mph, and then stall again , another 10 tries until start again, then I take off and ride without stopping and the problem is gone when engine is warm , I can shut off and start again on one try. Scooter does backfire once or twice during cold start process.
No check engine light, only light that flashes is a abs light when I come to a complete stop
I only use premium gas, I've changed the spark plug.

Thanks in advance
Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:31 pm

Hooked
Primavera
Joined: 02 Aug 2022
Posts: 114
Location: SoCal
 
Hooked
Primavera
Joined: 02 Aug 2022
Posts: 114
Location: SoCal
Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:31 pm linkquote
Fk218 wrote:
hello all , here's the issue I have, I hope this has happened to someone for good feedback.

On a cold start , she will start on first try then stall after 10 seconds and then I will have to try to push the start button 10 times before it will start again, and then I have to ride, then acceleration is very slow maybe 5mph, and then stall again , another 10 tries until start again, then I take off and ride without stopping and the problem is gone when engine is warm , I can shut off and start again on one try. Scooter does backfire once or twice during cold start process.
No check engine light, only light that flashes is a abs light when I come to a complete stop
I only use premium gas, I've changed the spark plug.

Thanks in advance
Valve adjusment?
Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:45 am

Member
2015 Sprint 150
Joined: 18 Jun 2022
Posts: 13
Location: New york
 
Member
2015 Sprint 150
Joined: 18 Jun 2022
Posts: 13
Location: New york
Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:45 am linkquote
Sounds like a big job
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:14 am

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: 22 Oct 2011
Posts: 5151
Location: Tega Cay, SC
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: 22 Oct 2011
Posts: 5151
Location: Tega Cay, SC
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:14 am linkquote
How many miles are on it? Have you checked the spark plug cap, adjusted the valves, using fresh gas? Also, when you are starting it, are you messing with the throttle (you shouldn't)?
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:24 am

Addicted
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Joined: 20 Feb 2019
Posts: 961
Location: Norfolk, VA
 
Addicted
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Joined: 20 Feb 2019
Posts: 961
Location: Norfolk, VA
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:24 am linkquote
As my battery was dying on my Liberty strange things would happen. Random stalls, uneven idle and hard starts at random times. I do all my own service so I was sure it wasn't valve related of plug related. Is it the original battery? If you recently changed it who did the battery come from?

I'm betting dying/weak battery. But if you've never done the valves I suggest check them. It's not that hard. Give us a follow up when you figure it out.
Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:04 am

Member
2015 Sprint 150
Joined: 18 Jun 2022
Posts: 13
Location: New york
 
Member
2015 Sprint 150
Joined: 18 Jun 2022
Posts: 13
Location: New york
Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:04 am linkquote
Reply to Tierney , it has 17k miles , I just recently changed the spark plug and the cap, gas is fresh as I ride everyday it's been happening since I got the scooter , Siphoned all the gas out before I put fresh gas in and it's always premium gas , when I start the first time , I do not touch the throttle and it starts right up then stalls after 5 seconds, if I didn't twist throttle it would never start on later attempts.

Reply to Sc00ter
Battery is brand new it's a Yuasa not a cheap Walmart brand , of course when I brought to the local dealer the engine was already warm when he took for a test drive, came back and said it's running perfectly, no hesitation, can it be the injector is dirty ? I don't think it's fuel pump because then it would never start and I would never to be able to ride 25 miles after she warmed up, can videos be attached to this forum ?
Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:53 am

Addicted
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Joined: 20 Feb 2019
Posts: 961
Location: Norfolk, VA
 
Addicted
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Joined: 20 Feb 2019
Posts: 961
Location: Norfolk, VA
Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:53 am linkquote
Try this just to rule the battery out. Pull it out and have it tested at a BatteriesPlus or the like. Yuasa is a solid brand but there is a chance someone prepped it in a hurry by speed charging it. I hate buying pre-prepped batteries for this reason but have had good luck with pre-prepped BatteriesPlus brand batteries.

Then when re-installing the battery put a dab of anti-corrosion on everything and make sure all the connections are tight. I had a loose terminal on my car and it caused stupid things to happen.

Finally, run a tank of Chevron Techron fuel injection cleaner thru the tank. Don't go crazy with it and do more than 2 tanks in a row max. I run a tank worth (whole smaller bottle to a full tank of gas) at every oil change, or half a bottler per each fill-up at 2 tanks in a row.

Last thing I can think of. Does your 2015 Vespa have chipped keys? if so you could have a failing chip reader ring. I documanted my chip reader ring failure on this site somewhere.
Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:30 am

Member
2015 Sprint 150
Joined: 18 Jun 2022
Posts: 13
Location: New york
 
Member
2015 Sprint 150
Joined: 18 Jun 2022
Posts: 13
Location: New york
Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:30 am linkquote
Thanks I will try those things , I did have the battery checked at my repair shop it's all good , the key issue I would actually have to bring to a Vespa shop, my local shop has a month wait list for appointment . I will be going to buy the chevron injector cleaner today.

In your opinion, would you rule out the fuel pump because it is actually working after a few minutes ?
Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:58 am

Addicted
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012
Joined: 08 Aug 2021
Posts: 684
Location: Belgium
 
Addicted
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012
Joined: 08 Aug 2021
Posts: 684
Location: Belgium
Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:58 am linkquote
Fk218 wrote:
Reply to Tierney , it has 17k miles , I just recently changed the spark plug and the cap, gas is fresh as I ride everyday it's been happening since I got the scooter , Siphoned all the gas out before I put fresh gas in and it's always premium gas , when I start the first time , I do not touch the throttle and it starts right up then stalls after 5 seconds, if I didn't twist throttle it would never start on later attempts.

Reply to Sc00ter
Battery is brand new it's a Yuasa not a cheap Walmart brand , of course when I brought to the local dealer the engine was already warm when he took for a test drive, came back and said it's running perfectly, no hesitation, can it be the injector is dirty ? I don't think it's fuel pump because then it would never start and I would never to be able to ride 25 miles after she warmed up, can videos be attached to this forum ?
The scooter has 17 k miles, so almost new.

Was this problem always there since you bought it? Or when did you experience this problem first?
And was there something you changed to the scooter immediately before the problem popped up?

Your scooter runs perfectly when the engine is warm, which means there is nothing fundamentally wrong with it.
Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:40 am

Member
2015 Sprint 150
Joined: 18 Jun 2022
Posts: 13
Location: New york
 
Member
2015 Sprint 150
Joined: 18 Jun 2022
Posts: 13
Location: New york
Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:40 am linkquote
I bought from my friend a year ago and the problem was there when he sold it to me , he got it like that as well. Nothing was changed it was stored in a heated garage all winter and on a tender and started for a hour once a week during storage time.

It's kind of mind boggling
Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:43 am

Addicted
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012
Joined: 08 Aug 2021
Posts: 684
Location: Belgium
 
Addicted
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012
Joined: 08 Aug 2021
Posts: 684
Location: Belgium
Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:43 am linkquote
Fk218 wrote:
I bought from my friend a year ago and the problem was there when he sold it to me , he got it like that as well. Nothing was changed it was stored in a heated garage all winter and on a tender and started for a hour once a week during storage time.

It's kind of mind boggling
When it is on a tender you do not have to start it regularly. The tender keeps your battery in good condition and that is all what it takes.

But back to the issue: it was always there, then. But explain how you got it running for an hour once a week, I guess parked on the center stand. Did you then not meet the same problem?
Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:56 am

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 41432
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 41432
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:56 am linkquote
Valve adjustment required.

Your symptoms are classic for a Leader engine needing this to be checked - and almost certainly adjusted.

Known problem since circa 2002...

It's not that a big job, especially if done at the same time as a major service (oil, brakes, tires) when it shouldn't add more than 15 minutes to the labour charge.
Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:04 pm

Member
2015 Sprint 150
Joined: 18 Jun 2022
Posts: 13
Location: New york
 
Member
2015 Sprint 150
Joined: 18 Jun 2022
Posts: 13
Location: New york
Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:04 pm linkquote
Peter , same thing but when I started on center stand, I get it running and then I just feather the gas until I just don't have to anymore, was usually about 10 minutes
Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:22 pm

Addicted
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012
Joined: 08 Aug 2021
Posts: 684
Location: Belgium
 
Addicted
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012
Joined: 08 Aug 2021
Posts: 684
Location: Belgium
Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:22 pm linkquote
jimc wrote:
Valve adjustment required.

Your symptoms are classic for a Leader engine needing this to be checked - and almost certainly adjusted.

Known problem since circa 2002...

It's not that a big job, especially if done at the same time as a major service (oil, brakes, tires) when it shouldn't add more than 15 minutes to the labour charge.
Can you explain why the problem Fk218 has, has to do with valve adjustment? Seems quite odd to me.
Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:32 pm

Member
2015 Sprint 150
Joined: 18 Jun 2022
Posts: 13
Location: New york
 
Member
2015 Sprint 150
Joined: 18 Jun 2022
Posts: 13
Location: New york
Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:32 pm linkquote
That's what I'm thinking , if something is wrong it's should be wrong all the time not just in the beginning
Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:26 pm

Addicted
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Joined: 20 Feb 2019
Posts: 961
Location: Norfolk, VA
 
Addicted
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Joined: 20 Feb 2019
Posts: 961
Location: Norfolk, VA
Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:26 pm linkquote
So the valves have never been checked? Out of adjustment valves will affect either low end, top end or both. Cold motor and hot motor will cause out of adjustment valves to behave in different ways as well. The valves are not hard to do and Robot has a bunch of good walk-thru videos to help if needed.

At 17,000 miles and no valve check I'm going to say the exhaust valve side is tight. My Liberty is always a bit snog on exhaust and my motor get s serviced to the letter, valve check every 6000 miles. So check the valves to rule that out as well. You don't have a 2-stroke. If you hate doing service work a 2-stroke is the way to go.
Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:54 pm

Member
2015 Sprint 150
Joined: 18 Jun 2022
Posts: 13
Location: New york
 
Member
2015 Sprint 150
Joined: 18 Jun 2022
Posts: 13
Location: New york
Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:54 pm linkquote
The videos robot have doesn't really have detailed info ,like once the valve cover is off , I don't know which way to adjust the valves nor is it in the video, he just does it fast and the cover is back on, I even emailed them and SW told me they really can't help unless it's put on PADS. Diagnostic machine
Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:06 pm

Ossessionato
2019 Supertech (EURO3/APAC)
Joined: 17 Nov 2020
Posts: 2064
Location: Batmania aka Melbourne, Australia
 
Ossessionato
2019 Supertech (EURO3/APAC)
Joined: 17 Nov 2020
Posts: 2064
Location: Batmania aka Melbourne, Australia
Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:06 pm linkquote
Fk218 wrote:
The videos robot have doesn't really have detailed info ,like once the valve cover is off , I don't know which way to adjust the valves nor is it in the video, he just does it fast and the cover is back on, I even emailed them and SW told me they really can't help unless it's put on PADS. Diagnostic machine
the video for adjusting them on a gts gives a lot of info and I'd bet is the same procedure once the cover is off. ie, use feeler gauges. but the gap sizes might be different, check the manual
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:59 pm

Enthusiast
2019 Primavera 150
Joined: 02 Feb 2018
Posts: 90
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
 
Enthusiast
2019 Primavera 150
Joined: 02 Feb 2018
Posts: 90
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:59 pm linkquote
My Sprint 150 was also getting a bit hard to cold start, even when basically new (1200km). When it was serviced, the tech cleared the faults register in the computer, and after that I never had a problem.
Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:37 am

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 41432
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 41432
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:37 am linkquote
PeterCC wrote:
Can you explain why the problem Fk218 has, has to do with valve adjustment? Seems quite odd to me.
See page 6 of:
https://manuals.wotmeworry.org.uk/useful%20info/Info_manual_5.pdf



Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:55 pm

Member
2015 Sprint 150
Joined: 18 Jun 2022
Posts: 13
Location: New york
 
Member
2015 Sprint 150
Joined: 18 Jun 2022
Posts: 13
Location: New york
Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:55 pm linkquote
So I tried to adjust the valves per the manual and robot , next days no changes , same issues
Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:07 pm

Addicted
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Joined: 20 Feb 2019
Posts: 961
Location: Norfolk, VA
 
Addicted
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Joined: 20 Feb 2019
Posts: 961
Location: Norfolk, VA
Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:07 pm linkquote
See, checking the valves is easy. Remove cover, set motor to TDC and sweep the valve gaps. If the valves are in spec and you had the battery double checked then in might need to be hooked up to the PADS? diagnostic computer like cadbury64 suggest. Keep us in the loop!
  DoubleGood Vespa Design  

All Content Copyright 2005-2022 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa

[ Time: 0.0317s ][ Queries: 7 (0.0073s) ][ Debug on ][ 211 ][ Thing One ]