OP
@rey-b avatar
UTC

Vespa ET2, MP3 250ie

@rey-b avatar
Vespa ET2, MP3 250ie
UTC quote
Facepalm emoticon

Seat sensor functions normally (red light goes off and on in sync with my butt in the seat), the bike starts and idles fine (a little rough to start) but it gets going and idles. The battery is fully charged, terminals are tight.

The issue started after the bike was parked in the rain for a day and the temperature dropped. I've had this bike since 2020 used it all year thru the winter always been stored outside (with a cover and sometimes without) without any issues.

I have an appointment with a local scooter shop on Saturday. Wondering if I should try anything before I pay them to tell me to scrap it.

Best,

Rey
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
First thing to check is the little round tilt lock reservoir and verify the fluid (DOT4 brake fluid) is at maximum level)
OP
@rey-b avatar
UTC

Vespa ET2, MP3 250ie

@rey-b avatar
Vespa ET2, MP3 250ie
UTC quote
My tilt lock res was completely empty Facepalm emoticon I put fluid in it, but I'm not sure if that's gonna resolve the issue.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
If it was completely empty you'll have to bleed the air out of the suspension locks. Also, check the front of the locks for signs of fluid leaks.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
^Agreed. Brake fluid does not evaporate. If the reservoir was empty, then you have a leak somewhere (shocks, sensor, lines, etc, etc, etc.), and a bleed is mandatory after diagnosis/repair to get every little trace of air out.
@scrumpox avatar
UTC

Peugeot Geo 250 & MP3 250

@scrumpox avatar
Peugeot Geo 250 & MP3 250
UTC quote
I had the same problem. Replaced brake fluid in hydraulics and bled the system without any luck. It turned out that the tilt lock motor has a pump with a rod that pressurizes the system when the tilt lock is engaged. This rod can rust and stops engaging/moving which then renders the tilt lock system either engaged or disengaged, or basically rooted. As a result, you get the continuous horn through the tilt lock warning system.
To fix, I replaced the tilt lock motor with a 2nd hand unit which immediately fixed the problem. It is not a particularly difficult job, front plastics off. You also need to ensure that the new tilt lock motor is disengaged so that you can fill it with brake fluid. There is also a potentiometer on the tilt lock motor that should not be touched. If it is out of wack, you need a Piaggio electronic tool to reset the tolerances. I just installed the new unit and it just worked. I'm not sure that many workshops would have the knowledge to set the potentiometer, you'd need to be in Italy to have this done I reckon. Anyway I hope that helps. See how you go.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0565s ][ Queries: 10 (0.0275s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]