@tszarathusra avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa C38 - S50 4T Super.

Hooked
@tszarathusra avatar
Vespa C38 - S50 4T Super.
UTC quote
Diesel oil is often used in larger motorcycle engines, whose owners have small budgets. It usually fulfills all the requirements in the JATO oil standard for motorcycle engines. That standard is mostly so the oil will fully lubricate the engine, while not making the wet clutch slip.
I have yet to hear of serious issue those owners have run into with use of diesel oil.

It is doubtful if using diesel oil in the small engines in scooters is worth it. Scooters rarely use much more than an a quart, or a liter, of oil so the price difference is negligible. They don't have wet clutches so you don't need the additives for that.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
T.S.Zarathusra wrote:
They don't have wet clutches so you don't need the additives for that.
<pedant>
Those that *do* have wet clutches (BV350 etc) don't share the same oil as the engine.
</pedant>
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
UTC quote
Shell Rotella as an example is fine for scooters with dry clutches. Nothing to do with its price. It has all the lubrication properties necessary. MB specific scooter oil would be better?

Not sure about all motorbikes although it does comply with JASO MA.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

BV350

BV350
UTC quote
I used T Rotella for 100,000 kms on 2 VStroms and it was fine, but I've not even considered it for the BV350. As you say the intervals are long and the volume small, so why not stay with the factory recommendations?
Shirker
@garthhh avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500

Addicted
@garthhh avatar
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500
UTC quote
Non detergent is important for any wet sump motor
The crank or straight cut gears splashing through oil with detergent will cause oil to foam
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
waspmike wrote:
Shell Rotella ... does comply with JASO MA.
Does JASO say that?
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
AFAIK Shell Rotella only meets the JASO criteria for wet clutch applications such as a gearbox.

Specifically, it has friction modifiers to prevent clutch chatter.

Not all oils are the same, even if they have the same weight.

This is especially the case on modern day engines.

Example: Using a standard engine oil (even in the correct weight) will bugger up a modern diesel engine real quick because it is not a low spAsh oil to keep the oxidation catalyst and its associated regeneration devices functioning properly

So using the Shell example the Rotella would be harmful to a modern day diesel that has SCR (Selective Catalyst Regeneration).

For engines with SCR, Shell ECT in the correct weight would be the correct choice.

And in case you're thinking "but this does not apply to gasoline engines", it is already being put into a few of the latest cars and will come to motorcycles as well. Just you wait.

https://www.shell.com/motorist/oils-lubricants/helix-for-cars/helix-fully-synthetic/shell-helix-ultra-ect-c2-c3-0w-30.html

https://www.drive.com.au/news/what-is-a-petrol-particulate-filter-and-which-cars-have-them-in-australia/
UTC

Hooked
BV250, BV500

Hooked
BV250, BV500
UTC quote
I can't think of a reason not to use motor oil that meets the standards laid out by the manufacturer. Sure, they may get kickbacks for recommending a certain brand of oil, but you aren't bound to that brand. Just use decent oil with the specs listed by the maker.
OP
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
wentwest wrote:
I can't think of a reason not to use motor oil that meets the standards laid out by the manufacturer. Sure, they may get kickbacks for recommending a certain brand of oil, but you aren't bound to that brand. Just use decent oil with the specs listed by the maker.
I agree, but this oil does not, it meets diesel engine standards, diesels are low RPM engines, not high RPM.
Redline on my high RPM diesel powerstroke, was 3,600 RPM. And that is a high RPM diesel.
@maksor avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie

Ossessionato
@maksor avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
UTC quote
3600 rpm high ref diesel??? thats crusing for me Razz emoticon at 130km is also topspeed with 80 horses at the cranck 60 at the wheel with Airco ROFL emoticon

My W903 209CDI sprinter does 4250 at trafficlights sprints redline is 5000

I'm not sure but i think my old C220 CDI did 4500 at 230km/h
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
A little 4 cylinder diesel and a V8 diesel (like Ford's PowerStroke) are worlds apart.

Example: In the truck world, the rev limit on a DAF 13Liter straight 6 cylinder is around 2000rpm, and peak power and torque is around 1500rpm.

The rev limit on Scania's 16Liter V8 diesel is even lower.
UTC

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
UTC quote
I have used diesel oil in high performing 4g63 motors. modified to nearly triple factory output. I was after the much higher zinc content.

I can say when the oil first goes in the engine becomes noticeably less tinny sounding. but that effect wouldnt last.

thanks to that article now I got to wonder if the zinc was indeed sacrificing itself like the article suggests.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0361s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0137s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]