OP
@al_chud avatar
UTC

2013 GTS 300

@al_chud avatar
2013 GTS 300
UTC quote
hi can you please help me pin point out the source of this noise is make it when i lean on the left side or just turn left it coming from the rear, i already took apart the transmision and replace the clutch and the variator also i dont see any sign of wheel touching any other component,
OP
@al_chud avatar
UTC

2013 GTS 300

@al_chud avatar
2013 GTS 300
UTC quote
link for the video of the noise

https://youtube.com/shorts/pMQBuxYfJfA?feature=share
@mopmop avatar
UTC

Hooked
2017 GTS300 'Beauty'

Hooked
@mopmop avatar
2017 GTS300 'Beauty'
UTC quote
Could be anything, maybe a bearing.

But since you're in the San Diego area, why don't you pay a visit to Vespa Motorsports? I'm sure they can help you out?
@touring300 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento

Ossessionato
@touring300 avatar
UTC quote
Sounds like it's coming from inside the transmission cover, but possibly wheel bearing, brakes rubbing or even mudflap scraping the wheel. Try putting it on the centre stand and spinning the wheel by hand.
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespas GTS 300 2017

Enthusiast
Vespas GTS 300 2017
UTC quote
Have you removed the circular cover marked "Vespa" from the crankcase to check the tightness of the clutch nut?
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
Viso wrote:
Have you removed the circular cover marked "Vespa" from the crankcase to check the tightness of the clutch nut?
AlChud replaced the clutch and variator. I'm assuming the sound prompted the work and it didn't go away.
UTC

Hooked
2020 primavera 150

Hooked
2020 primavera 150
UTC quote
It still sounds like inside the cover
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
My bet is on the mudflap not completely secured out of the way of the wheel.
OP
@al_chud avatar
UTC

2013 GTS 300

@al_chud avatar
2013 GTS 300
UTC quote
Quote:
Could be anything, maybe a bearing.

But since you're in the San Diego area, why don't you pay a visit to Vespa Motorsports? I'm sure they can help you out?
I did take the clutch for a full service and change the variator outer part along with the lug nut and spacer, the belt has 1,000 miles along with new rollers, when i open the trans cover i did check the torque everything is with in spec, also a remover the flap and tested it without it , noise still there, i inspected al the both wheels for any indication of rubbing, non was found,

i did not see any indication of rubbing part inside the transmission, i clean and put it back together, and the noise is still there,

ill take it apart , but i appreciate any suggestions so i can be more wary when i take the cover one again (please keep it coming.
⚠️ Last edited by AL Chud on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@al_chud avatar
UTC

2013 GTS 300

@al_chud avatar
2013 GTS 300
UTC quote
Quote:
i did its all under the spec of 45-50
OP
@al_chud avatar
UTC

2013 GTS 300

@al_chud avatar
2013 GTS 300
UTC quote
Quote:
My bet is on the mudflap not completely secured out of the way of the wheel.
i did think that was the issue i took it off, and tested it and the noise was still there.
OP
@al_chud avatar
UTC

2013 GTS 300

@al_chud avatar
2013 GTS 300
UTC quote
Quote:
Sounds like it's coming from inside the transmission cover, but possibly wheel bearing, brakes rubbing or even mudflap scraping the wheel. Try putting it on the centre stand and spinning the wheel by hand.
i did check the bearings, when i took the cover off they all look good and no issue when a turn them with my fingers.
OP
@al_chud avatar
UTC

2013 GTS 300

@al_chud avatar
2013 GTS 300
UTC quote
Quote:
i did that but no noise what so ever, the noise comes on when i lean the vespa to the left while taking my hand off the throttle, no noise when i acelerate,

its a very nice mistery to solve.
@touring300 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@touring300 avatar
UTC quote
AL Chud wrote:
i did check the bearings, when i took the cover off they all look good and no issue when a turn them with my fingers.
Have you checked the bearing on the opposite side of the rear wheel, the one that supports the exhaust, it's also known as the swingarm bearing?
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 57,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 57,000km
UTC quote
1. did this suddenly start or did it progressively start?
2. stick the bike on the center stand and try wiggling the wheel with your hands both tilting on the vertical axis and the horizontal axis and also trying to slide it left right.
3. check the rear tire for signs of unusual wear
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
that almost sounds like the input shaft for the gearbox is rubbing on the case.

can you replicate the sound with the bike on the center stand either running or moving the wheel by hand?

when you replaced the clutch, did you replace it with a stock unit or aftermarket? did you replace the bell too?

is the washer in the correct location? (it goes outside even though the parts diagram shows otherwise.
OP
@al_chud avatar
UTC

2013 GTS 300

@al_chud avatar
2013 GTS 300
UTC quote
Quote:
Have you checked the bearing on the opposite side of the rear wheel, the one that supports the exhaust, it's also known as the swingarm bearing?
i havent but i will this weekend, just to see if anything is out of place.
OP
@al_chud avatar
UTC

2013 GTS 300

@al_chud avatar
2013 GTS 300
UTC quote
Quote:
that almost sounds like the input shaft for the gearbox is rubbing on the case.

can you replicate the sound with the bike on the center stand either running or moving the wheel by hand?

when you replaced the clutch, did you replace it with a stock unit or aftermarket? did you replace the bell too?

is the washer in the correct location? (It goes outside even though the parts diagram shows otherwise.
hi, here is the video of it, there are several sounds, how does one go about fixing the input shaft if it rubbing on the case?

i replace the clutch with a stock one, the bell has probably 1,000 miles since i replace with a stock one from Piaggio.

yes, the washer is on the outside.

here are two videos on the center stand.

https://youtube.com/shorts/LBpnjuTAZlU?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/smK9LeMFRcE?feature=share

let me know you thoughts.
OP
@al_chud avatar
UTC

2013 GTS 300

@al_chud avatar
2013 GTS 300
UTC quote
Quote:
1. did this suddenly start, or did it progressively start?
2. stick the bike on the center stand and try wiggling the wheel with your hands both tilting on the vertical axis and the horizontal axis and also trying to slide it left right.
3. check the rear tire for signs of unusual wear
1- i thinks so, most of the time i use a full face helmet with music playing, but yes i think its progressive.

2.- https://youtube.com/shorts/LBpnjuTAZlU?feature=share

3.- i did go over it in fine detail but could not find any little thing on it.

i can replace the bearing on the cover and the suing arm to see if it fixes everything on not that expensive but let me know what you think.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
wow, that sounds big and ugly and expensive!

it seems like you've got a whole bunch of different stuff going on-- brake/wheel related, gearbox possibly, clutch/driven pulley.

here's what's cheap and easy:
1- check that your gearbox oil is at the proper level.
2- ascertain that the wheel is properly affixed to the brake hub and that the axle nut is tight
3- check the swing arm bearing and attachment points are tight and correct
4- check the brake rotor, is not warped or otherwise damaged
5- check that the brake caliper is properly attached and that the pads are properly seated and in good condition
6- pull the transmission apart and inspect the cover bearing
7- pull the driven pulley and go back through your work. throughly checking that the spring is properly seated and the clutch pack nut is properly tightened, the bearings (on both ends) are in good condition and lubed, inspect the gearbox input shaft for damage or scoring.

any sloppiness in the driven pulley bearings will make noise, same goes for the transmission cover bearing.

the low rumble/scrape sounds like the gear from the input is rubbing the case. the high-is pitch squeal and scrape sounds like the clutch pack is rubbing on the bell and/or the bearings are bad.

that sound when you rotate and shake the wheel makes me think to look at the brakes and the rim, something sounds off here.

in the second video, that's pretty typical for the rollers to clatter and the belt to slap like that. it's a little louder than normal, which if you've got any worn components in there it will tend to be. just keep an eye on that and pay attention to the details when going back through.

ostensibly, you can disassemble piece by piece, rotating the assemblies by hand to unveil the culprits.

btw, can you post a photo of your clutch bell-- new and old, the front and back?
OP
@al_chud avatar
UTC

2013 GTS 300

@al_chud avatar
2013 GTS 300
UTC quote
Quote:
wow, that sounds big and ugly and expensive!

it seems like you've got a whole bunch of different stuff going on-- brake/wheel related, gearbox possibly, clutch/driven pulley.

here's what's cheap and easy:
1- check that your gearbox oil is at the proper level.
2- ascertain that the wheel is properly affixed to the brake hub and that the axle nut is tight
3- check the swing arm bearing and attachment points are tight and correct
4- check the brake rotor, is not warped or otherwise damaged
5- check that the brake caliper is properly attached and that the pads are properly seated and in good condition
6- pull the transmission apart and inspect the cover bearing
7- pull the driven pulley and go back through your work. throughly checking that the spring is properly seated and the clutch pack nut is properly tightened, the bearings (on both ends) are in good condition and lubed, inspect the gearbox input shaft for damage or scoring.

any sloppiness in the driven pulley bearings will make noise, same goes for the transmission cover bearing.

the low rumble/scrape sounds like the gear from the input is rubbing the case. the high-is pitch squeal and scrape sounds like the clutch pack is rubbing on the bell and/or the bearings are bad.

that sound when you rotate and shake the wheel makes me think to look at the brakes and the rim, something sounds off here.

in the second video, that's pretty typical for the rollers to clatter and the belt to slap like that. it's a little louder than normal, which if you've got any worn components in there it will tend to be. just keep an eye on that and pay attention to the details when going back through.

ostensibly, you can disassemble piece by piece, rotating the assemblies by hand to unveil the culprits.

btw, can you post a photo of your clutch bell-- new and old, the front and back?
will take it a part this weekend and take pictures and video of each component and the steps you mention (for now ill stop riding it), i already order the bearing and a new clutch bell it has 17,000 miles, so i imagine it has the original bearing, i have a gut feeling that would be the issue, the gear oil is at the right level. ill post every finding..

i appreciate all of you guys help.
OP
@al_chud avatar
UTC

2013 GTS 300

@al_chud avatar
2013 GTS 300
UTC quote
So i finally got around to breakdown the rear wheel and replace the bearing from the cover case and the swing arm, i took my time in order to inspect every little thing, i found the rear wheel nut was loose and i also replace the clutch bell with the new one,

https://youtube.com/shorts/EmOnDjIeot0?feature=share

clean everything and tork to the right spec, could not find anything that would point me to the problem, maybe was a combination of loose parts and the bearing, but i put it back together and the noise was gone for good, the bike feels smooth as butter,

thanks to all for your comments it help me a lot.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@touring300 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@touring300 avatar
UTC quote
Glad to hear your problem is fixed, thanks for the update.
@quattrovalvole avatar
UTC

Addicted
09 GTS300 Super black, 04 GT 200 smoky, 05 GT 125 smoky (in pieces)

Addicted
@quattrovalvole avatar
09 GTS300 Super black, 04 GT 200 smoky, 05 GT 125 smoky (in pieces)
UTC quote
AL Chud wrote:
i found the rear wheel nut was loose
Thank goodness for the cotter pin.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0278s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0085s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]