Is that a sealed-beam headlight?
Do any of the highbeam/lowbeam/taillights work?
(TL;DR - Clutch slightly better, headlight and horn no longer working, bike won't stay lit anymore)
Yeah, it seems like a sealed beam. I removed it from the headset and its all one unit with some kind of sealant around the inside edge with no easy way to remove the bulb. I was able to look in the front lens with a flashlight and it looks like the filament in the bulb is intact still so I think something else is going on. The horn also stopped working at the same time. High (or low?) beam has never worked since I got it but the tail light on/off and brake light and kill switch still work.
Seems like I'm waking up all the gremlins living in this scoot now because we have a new issue! The bike now won't stay running. It will start but only run for about 2-5 seconds before it dies. Here's a history of what happened today, with pictures:
Started her up this morning on 3 kicks, idled fine and had no issues. Rode down to the gas station to put some more gas in. Clutch was a little grabby (like it would wait to engage all at once toward the very end of lever travel) but not every time. Overall not too terrible and rideable. I put about .9 gallons in the tank and left about 2-3 inches of air in the top, trying not to overfill it. Kicked over at the gas station fine and I rode down to the post office, which was probably about a 20 minute ride, with no issues. Messed around in the post office for about 15-20 mins and when I came out, she didn't want to start. I (foolishly) had zero tools with me so I fiddled with the choke and finally it started up enough to where I could convince it to keep running by keeping the revs up with the throttle. I did open and close again the gas tank cap, thinking it was maybe something not venting properly (not even sure if this is a thing) so that may or may not have helped. It died on me two more times on the way home but I was able to limp it home using this method. Not ideal!
After I got home, here's a list of things I've tried (pics below):
1. Pulled the plug to inspect. Looks...ok? The insulator is slightly browner than in the photos but would love some opinions.
2. Checked the plug gap. It was about 0.28 inches so I closed it to the recommended 0.23 inches or 0.6mm.
3. Checked for spark by cranking over with the plug in the HT lead while held against the engine. Seems to be sparking fine.
4. Loosened slightly the cap on the float bowl (not sure what it's called but I circled it in my pic) to make sure fuel was getting to the carb and some fuel immediately came out so I tightened that back up.
5. While I was in there I took a look at the jetting. From what I've read on scooter help, it doesn't seem to be stock. But, scooter help also says the Veloce comes with a 20/17 carb, but mine is a 20/20. I've seen other resources say Veloce came with a 20/20 so I'm not sure if my carb is stock or someone added it afterwards.
6. Pulled the cover off of the handlebar switch to take the kill switch out of the equation. Thought maybe it was messed up and always making that connection to kill the bike. Didn't make a difference.
I'm wondering if the headlight and horn dying is related to this issue or not. Since I seem to have spark, maybe not? I dunno. I have NOT done something as simple as upping the idle, since all seemed to be working fine up until now, but maybe that's a simple solution? I just don't want to be band-aiding an actual issue.
Any and all thoughts are welcome and much appreciated!
***PM UPDATE*** - I got her running again! I blew out the vents in the gas cap with compressed air, I put in a new plug, and a slackened the clutch cable a bit (honestly I think that's what did it) but I got it to start and run again. I'm going to let it sit tonight and try and start it again tomorrow and we'll see how she behaves. It was a "Hey dummy, it was working fine, what's the ONE thing you did? Maybe undo that a little and see if that works..." lol. I'm sorry you all have to witness my slow learning. We'll solve the electrical and clutch grabbiness another day...
Plug pic 1
Plug pic 2
Is this too full for the tank?
Fuel came out of here when I loosened it so it's at least getting to the carb. Maybe not quick enough though...
When I put the air cleaner back on, it sits on top the jets a little and seems a little crooked but didn't seem to fit any other way. Is that right or am I missing something?
Bonus pic of me making car drivers angry