OP
@stevemster avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@stevemster avatar
UTC quote
I am a member of the Vespa Club of Canada as well as the Vespa Club of Ottawa, and have been out on numerous club/group rides which are fun. I also use my Vespa for commuting, running errands, and just to get out and enjoy riding. I don't own a Vespa just to be part of a club.

The Vespa Club of Canada is now registered as a Non-Profit Organization and has re-instituted annual membership fees. Apparently, this was done to order to host the Vespa World Days 2024 in Canada, as Piaggio requires the club to be formally registered as a Non-Profit Organization.

Do riders in other countries pay annual club membership fees to ride their Vespa scooters? I've owned 36 motorcycles over the last 45 years and never bought into the club thing or paid dues to ride a specific brand. Not really liking the thought much.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 57,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 57,000km
UTC quote
I was in the Vespa Club of Melbourne for 3 years but left was it wasn't really my thing.
UTC

Enthusiast
2019 GTS300

Enthusiast
2019 GTS300
UTC quote
I was a Vespa Club of America member for a while, but I didn't find value in it and cancelled. Thought it would be the gateway to my local Vespa Club and get access to group rides, swag, and whatnot. They ended up hosting 1-2 rides a year and not much else.

I found another local scooter club that does all of those things for free (and the local Vespa Club president leads group rides for them).
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
My husband and I each joined the Vespa Club of America so we can attend AmeriVespa, which is being held in our state this next year. This is the first year the VCOA requires you be a member to purchase tickets to the event.

We also co-organize a free local club to help promote riding scooters. Even with flash flood warnings, we had 30 scooterist attend our anniversary ride last weekend. Imagine what our attendance would have been on a fair weather day.
@kawi_girl avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 300

Hooked
@kawi_girl avatar
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
SteveMster wrote:
I am a member of the Vespa Club of Canada as well as the Vespa Club of Ottawa, and have been out on numerous club/group rides which are fun. I also use my Vespa for commuting, running errands, and just to get out and enjoy riding. I don't own a Vespa just to be part of a club.

The Vespa Club of Canada is now registered as a Non-Profit Organization and has re-instituted annual membership fees. Apparently, this was done to order to host the Vespa World Days 2024 in Canada, as Piaggio requires the club to be formally registered as a Non-Profit Organization.

Do riders in other countries pay annual club membership fees to ride their Vespa scooters? I've owned 36 motorcycles over the last 45 years and never bought into the club thing or paid dues to ride a specific brand. Not really liking the thought much.
I joined the VCoC this past year and there were no fees due to Covid-as there were no events. Yes, I noticed the change as they now ask for a fee. I have no problem supporting the group yet their website is not secure…so unless that changes they won't be getting any funds from me. I've dealt with a compromised credit card before and it's a pain.
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
UTC quote
Our local club (Vespa Club Veria) has an annual membership of 25€ but it's not mandatory. Everyone is welcome to follow our club's activities, rides, etc. Members have some extra privileges though (discounts in parts, t-shirts, prize draws, etc.)...

With the money we gather in our "treasury" each year, we donate 500€ to a school for gifted children, we make donations to local organizations that help poor families and this year we also helped two cancer patients with their expenses (unfortunately one didn't make it)...

Rest of the money goes to our various expenses (t-shirts, rallies we organize, rent, accountant, taxes, etc.)...
OP
@stevemster avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@stevemster avatar
UTC quote
The reasons given for re-instating an annual fee are vague and are not true reasons in my opinion. They are as stated;

The decision to become a registered Non-Profit Organization was made for a variety of reasons:
- The Club is growing and membership spans from coast to coast;
- There are more Local Clubs being created;
- It facilitated the creation of a Club Bank account and PayPal account; and
- Most importantly, in order to host the Vespa World Days 2024 in Canada, Piaggio requires the club to be formally registered as a Non-Profit Organization.

The benefits to paid members isn't exactly awe inspiring either. I have the decal already, don't need a cardboard membership card or a made in China coffee mug or paper calendar.

By renewing your membership, you will receive:
- A New Membership Card;
- A Vespa Club of Canada Patch;
- A quarterly E-Newsletter;
- Access to a more interactive and informative website;
- Access to various discounts from club sponsors throughout the year; and
- Your choice of either a 2023 Vespa Club of Canada Calendar OR a Vespa Club of Canada Ceramic Mug.
@halijaro avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'99 PX200 & GTS300 HPE SuperSport

Molto Verboso
@halijaro avatar
UTC quote
It's certainly not necessary here in the UK, but £21pa is worth it for access to the tickets to British/World Vespa Days events alone. Add in the bi-monthly magazine and local events and it's a bargain. I've made some great friends through it and am looking forward to making more at VWD Switzerland next year.
@spirovision avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS super 300

Hooked
@spirovision avatar
GTS super 300
UTC quote
I received the same email.
I will pay the fees, via paypal :-0
Not really worth it for me as there are no affiliates here in Quebec, but I would like to support the effort, and participate in vespa world days.
I met Jeff the president a few times he is really a great guy. I participated in a ride it was well organized and fun. I thing it is part of belonging to a group of like minded individuals and for me the 45.00 (canadian) is ok to spend to participate in an '' association of like minded individuals''
E.
@clampett avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 GTS 300 HPE, 2022 Primavera 150

Hooked
@clampett avatar
UTC quote
I paid $35/yr with GWRRA. Had some benefits.
@pepy27 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 White Racing Sixties, 1959 Vespa 150 VBA, 1959 Lambretta Series 2 LI125, 1999 PX200E

Ossessionato
@pepy27 avatar
2021 White Racing Sixties, 1959 Vespa 150 VBA, 1959 Lambretta Series 2 LI125, 1999 PX200E
UTC quote
Vespa Club of Britain member and yes we pay annual fees.
@pepy27 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@pepy27 avatar
UTC quote
Halijaro wrote:
It's certainly not necessary here in the UK, but £21pa is worth it for access to the tickets to British/World Vespa Days events alone. Add in the bi-monthly magazine and local events and it's a bargain. I've made some great friends through it and am looking forward to making more at VWD Switzerland next year.
I'm planning on going to Switzerland too
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
UTC quote
I was a VCoA member for a couple years, then considered my likely lifespan, and became a lifetime member. Should done that first.
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
UTC quote
With VCoA, you also get roadside tow coverage for 25 miles and that can be expanded to 100 miles.

For $35, it's not a bad deal at all
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
CrazyCarl wrote:
With VCoA, you also get roadside tow coverage for 25 miles and that can be expanded to 100 miles.

+1

If I remember correctly, the free towing with membership also extends to other PTWs owned by a member.
@mactoys avatar
UTC

@mactoys avatar
UTC quote
Syd wrote:
I was a VCoA member for a couple years, then considered my likely lifespan, and became a lifetime member. Should done that first.
How much is the lifetime membership? Thanks
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
mactoys wrote:
How much is the lifetime membership? Thanks
$500.00 USD Wha? emoticon
OP
@stevemster avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@stevemster avatar
UTC quote
No benefits like that here, we just get to subsidize the 2024 Vespa meeting in Canada and nothing more.
CrazyCarl wrote:

@clampett avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@clampett avatar
UTC quote
CrazyCarl wrote:

Towing to nearest repair facility or on site repair including labor(excluding parts) is $8.10 on my insurance policy.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Why does registering as a non-profit organisation mandate charging fees?
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Why does registering as a non-profit organization mandate charging fees?
I assume the fees pay for the member towing service, stickers, patches, web hosting, PO Box, postage, advertising, and events, among other things.
OP
@stevemster avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@stevemster avatar
UTC quote
Guzzi Gal wrote:
I assume the fees pay for the member towing service, stickers, patches, web hosting, PO Box, postage, advertising, and events, among other things.
The fees we are being asked to pay do not provide for any services, or perks of any kind. Just a membership card, electronic news letter, access to a web site of some kind, and a coffee mug or calendar. Nothing else is on offer.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Guzzi Gal wrote:
But legally, what is the mandate for charging fees to belong to a non-profit? A non-sequitur if ever I heard one.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
But legally, what is the mandate for charging fees to belong to a non-profit? A non-sequitur if ever I heard one.
Nonprofits may charge fees, in addition to donations, to help support the organization's mission. I believe that Piaggio requires their licensed international Vespa clubs to be 501cs or equivalent. A Non-sequitur, it may be, but legal it is.

I forgot to mention the VCOA also offers a Scooter Relief Fund started in the wake of Katrina to help riders who fall victim to accidents or medical emergencies.

I'm not defending, just answering. As far as I can tell, it's a fairly standard setup.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Legal to require, but not legally required.
OP
@stevemster avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@stevemster avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
That's a good question and one for the VCoC to answer. According to the email he sent, the decision was made because Piaggio requires the club to be formally registered as a Non-Profit Organization in order to host the Vespa World Days 2024 in Canada. I imagine this was seen as an opportune time to create a club bank account, obtain a PayPal account and start charging fees.

The fees collected will likely go towards marketing for that event to grow membership and revenues from that effort. There do not appear to be any meaningful benefits to members like myself. I have no need for a paper calendar or a coffee mug.

It seems there is no choice except to pay to a member of the VCoC. Looks like I'll be enjoying my Vespa as a solo rider next year without any affiliation.
UTC

Lurker
sei giorni

Lurker
sei giorni
UTC quote
You're hung up on the wrong thing. Vespa Club is not about fees its about the community. Being part of the club, belonging, Having thousands of friends you have not yet met. If thats not your thing then its not your thing.

The Vespa World Club VWC(of which I sit on the board) Requires all National clubs to be a not for profit entity. With that comes some fees that need to be paid for. The VWC does not fund these clubs. They are funded by membership and event registrations.

If the country club you are thinking about joining doesnt have benefits you like I suggest you get involved and see what it takes to make those changes. The only people making money on Vespa is Piaggio and the Dealers and the Dept of Transportation. Clubs are run by volunteers who are passionate about Vespa. Nothing more. Organizations like this take funds to create benefits that members see as valuable. Some of those Values are not that great for some members but they still cost the club something.

The VCOA or VCUSA does offer Roadside Assistance, but we also offer charter clubs Free liability insurance for meetings, We offer low cost Event insurance, We have a powerful CRM that we can manage events nationally, Event Registration, Charter clubs can manage their own members, chapter newsletters and blast for events, we have free content on line, We have discounts on hotel chains and more, we put out a monthly newsletter, there of course is swag But it really is about belonging. Will everyone use all these perks no. However there are there for each member to use. as a Chapter club there are more benefits.

If you want to go to events like Amerivespa, Vespa World Days, and other Vespa Events you have to be a member thats just how it works. Vespa World Days in Bali Had 10k members attend inside the Vespa Village.

We dont want you to be a member so we can gather funds. We want you to be a member so that we can enjoy your company at events designed just for our members.

Vespa is about community. I would not do my job if it wasnt for the awesome people I have meet in my years of riding. My goal is to facilitate you creating your own lasting memories with Vespa.

The larger a Vespa Club is the more benefits you can have. VCoC is pretty small for such a huge country. it makes sense. You should join because you want to not because of the benefits.

I also encourage folks to check out their clubs again to see what has changed.

⚠️ Last edited by VCUSA Prez on UTC; edited 1 time
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
VCUSA Prez wrote:
You're hung up on the wrong thing. Vespa Club is not about fees it's about the community. Being part of the club, belonging, having thousands of friends you have not yet met. If that's not your thing then it's not your thing.

The Vespa World Club VWC(of which I sit on the board) Requires all National clubs to be a not for profit entity. With that comes some fees that need to be paid for. The VWC does not fund these clubs. They are funded by membership and event registrations.

If the country club you are thinking about joining doesn't have benefits you like I suggest you get involved and see what it takes to make those changes. The only people making money on Vespa is Piaggio and the Dealers and the Dept of Transportation. Clubs are run by volunteers who are passionate about Vespa. Nothing more. Organizations like this take funds to create benefits that members see as valuable. Some of those Values are not that great for some members but they still cost the club something.

The VCOA or VCUSA does offer Roadside Assistance, but we also offer charter clubs Free liability insurance for meetings, We offer low cost Event insurance, We have a powerful CRM that we can manage events nationally, Event Registration, Charter clubs can manage their own members, chapter newsletters and blast for events, we have free content on line, We have discounts on hotel chains and more, we put out a monthly newsletter, there of course is swag But it really is about belonging. Will everyone use all these perks no. However there are there for each member to use. as a Chapter club there are more benefits.

If you want to go to events like Amerivespa, Vespa World Days, and other Vespa Events you have to be a member that's just how it works. Vespa World Days in Bali Had 10k members attend inside the Vespa Village.

We don't want you to be a member so we can gather funds. We want you to be a member so that we can enjoy your company at events designed just for our members.

Vespa is about community. I would not do my job if it wasn't for the awesome people I have met in my years of riding. My goal is to facilitate you creating your own lasting memories with Vespa.

The larger a Vespa Club is the more benefits you can have. VCoC is pretty small for such a huge country. it makes sense. You should join because you want to not because of the benefits.

I also encourage folks to check out their clubs again to see what has changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxPU6mlGJOk&list=RDCMUCxZWr3SD_WKrHC9qIzQGhAA&start_radio=1&t=261s
Thanks, Josh. We appreciate what you do in service of the scooter-riding community.
⚠️ Last edited by Guzzi Gal on UTC; edited 1 time
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
UTC quote
Guzzi Gal wrote:
I forgot to mention the VCOA also offers a Scooter Relief Fund started in the wake of Katrina to help riders who fall victim to accidents or medical emergencies.

I personally benefited from this after my crash during Cannonball last year. They provided funds to help offset some of my medical expenses. Very generous and unexpected. The Scooter Relief Fund has helped a lot of riders over the years.
@outsider avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET 50 GTS250ie Sprint 150

Hooked
@outsider avatar
ET 50 GTS250ie Sprint 150
UTC quote
If I am a member of VCOA will I be able to participate in Vespa World Days in Canada?
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
Outsider wrote:
If I am a member of VCOA will I be able to participate in Vespa World Days in Canada?
From what I understand, the VCOA honors the VCOC membership when it comes to AmeriVespa. Drop both an email and share what you discover.
UTC

Lurker
sei giorni

Lurker
sei giorni
UTC quote
Outsider wrote:
Yes its the only way. you have to be a club member of the country you belong. VCOA will be handeling the registration for everyone.
@halijaro avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@halijaro avatar
UTC quote
Outsider wrote:
If it's the same as the VCoB, you automatically become a member of the Vespa World Club. This from the VCoB website...

As well as all of this, you will also receive free membership into the Vespa World Club which entitles you to –
To attend the Vespa World Days event which is organised by a different country every other year around the world.
To attend the European Vespa Days which is held every year in different countries throughout Europe.
To attend other International events throughout the world. A link to these events will be added to the VCB website events calendar.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
It's likely that the connection has been misconstrued. It's far more likely that the fees are necessary to pay for legal and administrative costs incurred by forming the non-profit organization. The end effect is the same, just for a subtly more nuanced reason.
@big_boys_mother avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory, BMW F650CS, HD 883 Sportster

Molto Verboso
@big_boys_mother avatar
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory, BMW F650CS, HD 883 Sportster
UTC quote
SteveMster wrote:
... The Vespa Club of Canada is now registered as a Non-Profit Organization and has re-instituted annual membership fees. Apparently, this was done to order to host the Vespa World Days 2024 in Canada, as Piaggio requires the club to be formally registered as a Non-Profit Organization...
My take on this for membership has to do with the number of like minded people: similar to members of the zoo, botanical garden, museum or orchestra of choice, etc. Whatever benefits for membership are delineated, that is what is given/received. You mention, "Apparently, this was done to order to host the Vespa World Days 2024 in Canada, as Piaggio requires the club to be formally registered as a Non-Profit Organization." OK, but, to me, your word, "Apparently" is subjective and not conclusive. I am only offering my insight.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
It's likely that the connection has been misconstrued. It's far more likely that the fees are necessary to pay for legal and administrative costs incurred by forming the non-profit organization. The end effect is the same, just for a subtly more nuanced reason.
That's what I suspected, but yet again an 'official' piece of writing doesn't actually mean what it's trying to convey. Even US guvmint ones seem susceptible to this...

They should get their documents parsed by someone like the Plain English Campaign - many if not most UK Gov. stuff is vetted by them.
⚠️ Last edited by jimc on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@stevemster avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@stevemster avatar
UTC quote
Big_Boys_Mother wrote:
My take on this for membership has to do with the number of like minded people: similar to members of the zoo, botanical garden, museum or orchestra of choice, etc. Whatever benefits for membership are delineated, that is what is given/received. You mention, "Apparently, this was done to order to host the Vespa World Days 2024 in Canada, as Piaggio requires the club to be formally registered as a Non-Profit Organization." OK, but, to me, your word, "Apparently" is subjective and not conclusive. I am only offering my insight.
I added the word "apparently", but the email issued to VCoC members by the President makes it clear that the VCoC MUST be formally registered as a Non=Profit Organization.

Most importantly, in order to host the Vespa World Days 2024 in Canada, Piaggio requires the club to be formally registered as a Non-Profit Organization.

@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
That's what I suspected, but yet again an 'official' piece of writing doesn't actually mean what it's trying to convey. Even US guvmint ones seem susceptible to this...

They should get their documents parsed by someone like the Plain English Campaign - many if not most UK Gov. stuff is vetted by them.
US laws use plain English, mostly. The government just uses plain English in the most unreadable ways, usually.
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@stevemster avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@stevemster avatar
UTC quote
I didn't pay the fee that was demanded from me for 2023 to remain a member of the VCofC (and also therefore the VCofO), so I left both FaceBook groups before I got the boot. Sad to go as I am now considered persona non gratta.
@sledge avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300 HPE

Ossessionato
@sledge avatar
GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
SteveMster wrote:
Sad to go as I am now considered persona non gratta.
Expect to find half a Vespa in your bed.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0355s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0142s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]