OP
UTC

Vespa LX150

Vespa LX150
UTC quote
GTS 300 ie 2016 15k miles. Need help with a noise. https://youtu.be/-ZIp31s94Jg

Was on a big full day ride very hot a few weeks ago. Towards end of ride, ABS light came on (unrelated??) then ESR. Then water temp light came on. I pulled over literally in about 20 seconds to a gas station. Opened up the knee pad and I didn't see any coolant in top of coolant reservoir. I emptied my water bottle into it and it filled to max line. I rode about 30 min home. Water temp light never came on again. Did not ride bike anymore and discovered coolant leak at the hose to water pump clamp. Single use clamp was not holding and coolant was dripping and then sizzling gone on the exhaust pipe. Replaced with tradition worm type hose clamp. Oil and coolant levels are fine. Did an oil change (after 2k miles) and there was no metal in it or any coolant. This noise has developed post incident. Took to Vespa dealer, They ran PADS diagnostic. No engine codes. they opened transmission, replaced belt (I had one) rollers and sliders. Removed and inspected clutch and each shoe was springy ok. Re-assembled and buttoned back up. Noise same or worse. PADS gave an error on ABS sensor rear, which I have new sensor to replace. Valves have never been adjusted. Bike is at 15k miles now. Any educated guesses? I plan to take belt off and isolate drive train to see if noise remains. Adjust valves, inspect. Any other suggestions? Piston slap? I don't think and hope it isn't camshaft bearing? thanks[url][/url]
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
I can't tell from the video what's just engine noise and what's a microphone being over saturated. Are you talking about a continuous sound, or something occasional that I missed? In other words, under what conditions does it happen?
OP
UTC

Vespa LX150

Vespa LX150
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I can't tell from the video what's just engine noise and what's a microphone being over saturated. Are you talking about a continuous sound, or something occasional that I missed? In other words, under what conditions does it happen?
Is is continuous. Clicking/clinking. Not so much a Knocking like I see/hear with bad camshaft bearing. There is no randomness with it. As the throttle increases the frequency of the clicking increases with the precision of the engine. On stand or riding it is the same. Cannot introduce a circumstance to get rid of it.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
I couldn't hear it, but I'm in a noisy environment and listening on my phone. Maybe someone with a better environment can hear it.
OP
UTC

Vespa LX150

Vespa LX150
UTC quote
With a stethoscope : while i can hear it from the transmission cover, i hear it loudest from putting the stethscope on the fuel injector clicking or the valve cover. I think I will move directly to checking the valve adjustment. With all the attention the dealer spent on the drivetrain last weekend I think that isn't part of it. New belt, rollers, sliders and removing and inspecting the clutch.
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012
UTC quote
You can rule out the transmission.

The clicking is stable and seems independent of the load on the engine.

Therefore I think it is not coming from the piston to crankshaft part of the engine. I have experienced several times that any issue there is load dependent with more clicking or knocking when more load is applied.

So I think it is the valves that you hear. Probably simply a bit too much play and that noise is independent of engine load.

But you say the clicking noise was there only from after the incident. Are you sure about that?
Because I cannot understand how a bit too much play of the valves could be linked to your coolant issue.
OK, you had a water leak. That can happen. And you reacted perfectly as should: the light came on and you stopped as fast as safely possible and adjusted the coolant level.
That should never lead to any sudden change in or damage to the engine.
OP
UTC

Vespa LX150

Vespa LX150
UTC quote
I am not absolutely certain that the clicking wasn't there before the incident. It might have been slighter and unnoticed. It is noticeable now so if it wasn't there before it is now..if it was It is louder now. I'm hopeful at this point it is a valve adjustment.
@gildod avatar
UTC

Hooked
2020 GTS 300

Hooked
@gildod avatar
2020 GTS 300
UTC quote
Hi did this ever get resolved? I have the same issue, been checking the Valves, Changed belt rollers and associated spacers.

I put in a new rebuilt water pump prior to putting in the New Piston and head. Trying to figure this out and pulling my hair out doing so.

Would a failing water pump make this sound? Its the only thing I have left to check.
⬆️    About 6 months elapsed    ⬇️
@centersmith avatar
UTC

Vespa 300Gtsie

@centersmith avatar
Vespa 300Gtsie
UTC quote
I'd love to know if the o.p. discovered a cause. This engine noise (tap/click/tick/whatever you'd call it) is identical to the noise my Lola (gts300) just began making yesterday: one tap per revolution, at all times, all temps. I Checked valve clearances (spot on), and inspected complete transmission including checking variator and sliders. Today I'll record audio with my highly directional Sennheiser me80 mic, aiming at specific places on the engine, paying close attention to the injector as well.
OP
UTC

Vespa LX150

Vespa LX150
UTC quote
It was the exhaust rocker arm and associated node on the camshaft. There was a noticeable divot in the surface of the rocker arm that stays in contact with the camshaft. That was the click I was hearing. You have to pull apart the top end to fully inspect. I didn't look at those surfaces initially..and when I REALLY inspected the top end...I don't know how I didn't notice it when I took it all apart. One of Robot's videos reminded me to really inspect the exhaust rocker and the camshaft....as that is a common failure IF the top end has an issue. Replaced both the rocker arm and camshaft and she purrs like a kitten.
I did remove the cylinder and the piston to inspect. I also inspected the crankshaft and that was fine. The bottom end of the GTS is built like a tugboat.
Good and bad exhaust rocker arm compared
Good and bad exhaust rocker arm compared
@gildod avatar
UTC

Hooked
2020 GTS 300

Hooked
@gildod avatar
2020 GTS 300
UTC quote
I discovered a simillar issue with my 300 GTV, however upon close inspection of the Camshaft, there was some evidence of scoring which caused the divot to occur on the rocker. I would take another look and verify there is not some sort of ridge on the Cam which caused the exhaust rocker to become concave.
OP
UTC

Vespa LX150

Vespa LX150
UTC quote
Both the camshaft and the Exhaust rocker arm were replaced in my situation as both were damaged.
@centersmith avatar
UTC

Vespa 300Gtsie

@centersmith avatar
Vespa 300Gtsie
UTC quote
ppawlus wrote:
It was the exhaust rocker arm and associated node on the camshaft...
Thank you ppawlus. I'm glad you got that settled. Your recording sounded so exactly like my bike's new sound that started during yesterday's ride (I did briefly cruise at 75 real mph, but Lola's never had trouble with that. I may have to hitch up my trousers and roll up my sleeves.

Just for the heck of it, today I made a video, moving a sensitive directional microphone around to various areas of the engine and transmission. To me it definitely sounds more present when the mic is aimed at the head/rocker/cam area https://youtu.be/vpBCAnDRaeA

Hmm. Come to think of it, a week ago, I was stuck after refueling for a couple of hours. She wouldn't start right away. The starter just cranked and cranked. Since she usually fires up within one or two revolutions, I thought maybe the throttle bypass port needed a cleaning. I got a can of carb cleaner and pulled off the air box, and gave the port a couple of blasts. Eventually I "hail-mary-ed" and just kept on the key. After about 20 seconds of cranking, there were a few coughs and then she started. Ran fine all the way home for 25 miles. But she's been requiring long cranks every few starts since. Perhaps a worn exhaust rocker and/or cam might explain the hard starts. However I've suspected a fouled evap canister as well (my fault for a few overfills at the pump over time).

My 2010 gts300 particulars:
55,000 original miles on engine
Always kept up to date on maintenance (I've done the maintenance the past two years, and JimC and Mrs. JimC took care of her prior to that). I rebuilt the water pump 6K mi. ago, and just did a 6k mile service two weeks ago, and put in a brand new clutch.

I'm planning to replace the under-floorboard coolant hoses, flush the cooling system, and put on new side moldings this summer, but now maybe I'll be pulling apart the top end as well.

I have a diagnostic (PADS) appointment at a local dealership this week, so I may still see what that reveals–however I think I'll haul her in on the trailer rather than ride her in this condition.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0349s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0074s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]