OP
@chatis avatar
UTC

Hooked
1963 Vespa VBB, 1965 Allstate Cruisaire, 1974 Vespa Super, 1980 Vespa P200, 2003 Stella 2T, 2008 Steall 2T, 2022 Royal Alloy 150 GT

Hooked
@chatis avatar
1963 Vespa VBB, 1965 Allstate Cruisaire, 1974 Vespa Super, 1980 Vespa P200, 2003 Stella 2T, 2008 Steall 2T, 2022 Royal Alloy 150 GT
UTC quote
Winter is here. I enjoyed both days of spring. Summer was sweltering. Leaves are everywhere. Time to put the toys away for their 6 months of slumber. Those of you in the southern states please have pity on us, and don't make us sickly jealous.

What I do to winterize the scooters is:

- Full tank of premium ethanol free gas. Usually with some Stabil. (Some people say drain the tank!)
- Turn of the fuel tap and run the carb dry before killing the ignition.
- Pull the plug and spray fogging oil in the cylinder.
- Pump the tires to 30 psi.
- If there is a battery put it on a battery tender. Sometimes I take the battery out.
- Give it a wipe down with a microfiber cloth.
- Put a cover on it.
- Kick it over every couple months.

Or, if the wife lets me, put some of them in the den .

What do others do to winterize their scoots??
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@keaton85 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Stella 2T, P200, Rally 180 Euro

Addicted
@keaton85 avatar
Stella 2T, P200, Rally 180 Euro
UTC quote
Not a single thing, I've never used any fuel stabilizer, always ethanol full fuel and whatever is left in any tank. Waste of time in my opinion and never had an issue on anything. I would rather clean a carb then have to mess around with yet another thing to do repeatedly each year….

I have yet to have had to pull a carb.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
Chatis wrote:
What do others do to winterize their scoots??
let the summer air out of the tires to make way for the winter air, then ride 'em.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
let the summer air out of the tires to make way for the winter air, then ride 'em.
Yes, ride the things, wear more appropriate clothing.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Up here in the cold wet PacNW, i park my nice scooters for the winter. I drain the fuel tank, run the engine until the carb bowl it empty, and throw a cover over the top. On my year around road going PX200, i install a windscreen, flip the switch on for my grip heaters, and keep riding....though now as much as i used to 10 years ago! 10 years ago i would commute 5 days a week to work in the gravel, rain, dark, and the occasional dusting of snow. Now that sucked, but at lease i could always find free parking when i was on a scooter (i would simply remove the license plate and not pay for parking).
UTC

Addicted
'64 VBB, '74 BMW R75/6 airhead, 1974 Bultaco Alpina 250, Lambretta LI150 project, J50 Special

Addicted
'64 VBB, '74 BMW R75/6 airhead, 1974 Bultaco Alpina 250, Lambretta LI150 project, J50 Special
UTC quote
Chatis wrote:
Winter is here...
It is ALMOST here but not yet -- come on, you can still ride for a bit longer!

I follow most of the recommendations for L/T storage that you practice. I'm using ethanol free gas more and more now as well in all carbureted motorcycles and small engines, even though the closest fill up spot for that is 27 mi away and it can be a hassle to get there often. It's just about $4.50/gal for 91 Oct non eth. across the border in Winchester, NH.

After every ride, before putting away I also shut the fuel tap while bike's still running and let the gas expire from the carb.

I'd add to your fine list that the driest storage area possible is best for these decades-old thin sheet metal frames that are rust-prone in many climates. In the countryside, old wooden barns are better than unheated garages with concrete or even dirt floors. I've even taken to placing crappy old rugs under my bikes to absorb light moisture.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
Winter ... izing?

For me that's knobby tires and heavier gloves.

Oh, and these. I swear by these.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate

118 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate

118 Days Since Last Explosion
UTC quote
I used to winterize my scooters by putting on snow tires and a lap blanket.

Now, though, I just swap the ventilated for non-ventilated jacket & gloves.
@kimono32 avatar
UTC

Addicted
'66 Super 150

Addicted
@kimono32 avatar
'66 Super 150
UTC quote
I like your list, Chatis, much more thorough than mine. I'll ride all bundled up until it snows and the roads are salted. Then I perform your first and second steps—full tank of ethanol-free + Sta-bil, carb run dry—and tuck her in with a little plaid blanket for the winter. That's all. I prob should do more…. Thanks for sharing your steps. Not sure I believe your wife reeeeally allows scoots in the den
@robbie_11 avatar
UTC

Hooked
PX

Hooked
@robbie_11 avatar
PX
UTC quote
Hi All,
This question has been in the back of my mind since I read somewhere that premix can go off in a few months and in cold weather?
My experience has been that if I leave pre-mix in the tank over winter. so far i have had no issues?
Does anyone have thoughts?
Do you drain the premix after winter and add fresh or do you just start-up and ride?

Cheers Robbie
OP
@chatis avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@chatis avatar
UTC quote
Robbie 11 wrote:
I read somewhere that premix can go off in a few months and in cold weather?
No expert but my thought is that is not correct. The oil may separate but after a few miles it will mix again. There is nothing in the oil to go off. Gas will lose some volatility and absorb water - especially with ethanol blends. If there is little air (moisture) and it us well sealed it can last quite a long time - more rhan six months. Adding stabiliser can keep gas fresh for longer.
@finyoshi avatar
UTC

Addicted
Parmakit Primavera -74, Polini Primavera -68, VR-One 228 150 Touring -59, VMC 177 Bajaj Chetak 125 -95

Addicted
@finyoshi avatar
Parmakit Primavera -74, Polini Primavera -68, VR-One 228 150 Touring -59, VMC 177 Bajaj Chetak 125 -95
UTC quote
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@roland87 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'13 LML Star 200, '81 50 Special, '81 P 150 X, '87 PK 50 Nuova, '84 PK 50 S

Molto Verboso
@roland87 avatar
'13 LML Star 200, '81 50 Special, '81 P 150 X, '87 PK 50 Nuova, '84 PK 50 S
UTC quote
Winter tyres on place. Now waiting for snow and ice.
UTC

2007 Vespa 250 GTV

2007 Vespa 250 GTV
UTC quote
Total newbie here...just got license and we picked up a 2007 GTV 250...so fun to drive the weekend before snow came. My daughter made a "baby" blanket for it...a good start for hibernation.

Our friends we bought from said to either remove battery attach a charger "thing."

I would love some step-by-step guidance or videos.

I read your list:
Full tank of premium ethanol free gas. Usually with some Stabil. (Some people say drain the tank!)
- Pump the tires to 30 psi.
- If there is a battery put it on a battery tender. Sometimes I take the battery out.
- Give it a wipe down with a microfiber cloth.
- Put a cover on it.
- Kick it over every couple months.

And would love to know what this means:

Also, do you have a recommendation for a battery tender?

Finally, would love recommendations of videos or websites for basic maintenance. I truly am a newbie...

Thanks and have a great day!
@finyoshi avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@finyoshi avatar
UTC quote
Fuel tank made out of steel should not be left empty for long periods of time to avoid rusting.

I'd rather leave the carb full, since drained bowl will allow condensation inside, which in turn can cause corrosion.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Personally I'd stick high octane lower ethanol in the tank right to the brim to prevent tank corrosion, never drain tank. Worst thing you could is drain a tank imo. You can also duck oil under floor and also under mudguard seam etc. the newer px often rots along mudguard seam, I cake mine with duck oil all through the year.,
OP
@chatis avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@chatis avatar
UTC quote
jbnarde wrote:
And would love to know what this means:

Also, do you have a recommendation for a battery tender?
I don't know if the 2007 GTV is classified as "not so modern". It's a four stroke. I don't know if it has a fuel tap. A fuel tap is a valve that shuts off the fuel to the carburetor or allows it flow. Its a three way valve. Reserve fuel (fill up asap), main fuel and off. Turning it off and running the scoot till it dies (emptying the fuel from the carburetor) will prevent fuel in the carburetor from evaporating and leaving problematic gunk behind.

Fogging the cylinder puts a layer of oil on the cylinder walls to prevent rust. Most two strokes have oil there so this a little like a belt and suspenders - but I do it!

No battery tender recommendations. Just make sure that it a maintainer and not just a charger.

YouTube is full of videos. Just search what you are looking for. Robot is legend with great videos...

Hope this helps.
UTC

2007 Vespa 250 GTV

2007 Vespa 250 GTV
UTC quote
Thanks for the hints...found Robot. Helped a lot! Got the battery maintainer thing and figuring out the rest this week. Hoping for the roads to be ice-free by Wed!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0937s ][ Queries: 22 (0.0633s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]