UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
possible feature: being able to move your post yourself to a different forum eg between general and nsm by editing your post
That's a rather radical idea that I can't find a good reason to object to.

Give me a minute. I'll come up with something.
@tor2ga avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Looking for the next one, probably electric

Ossessionato
@tor2ga avatar
Looking for the next one, probably electric
UTC quote
My computer and mechanical acuity crashed with the mechanical distributor in a 1949 Plymouth straight 6. I really don't know what level of effort I am suggesting here, but:

How about a mechanism whereby at a certain time each day one of that day's posters would be randomly selected to receive an award. The award would consist of a blue check mark displayed proudly under the avatar. It would last for 365 days and would then disappear. The whole process would be entirely automatic with no human input. The award would be termed an "Elon*".

I don't know how many posters there are in a day or year so the numerical parameters may need adjusting.

I know that I would be proud to be able to say I was here on a randomly moment of time and received a blue check.

* That's pronounced "Eelonn" with a southern accent in honor of Elon College, North Carolina , now University. I visited in 1958 and the smell remains in my memory to this day.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Tor2ga wrote:
* That's pronounced "Eelonn" with a southern accent in honor of Elon College
I was always assuming his name was pronounced like "felon" but without the f.

Or with the f, if you like.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
possible feature: being able to move your post yourself to a different forum eg between general and nsm by editing your post
Just my two opinion... I don't think this is worth the time investment. Here's why. It's prolly just a few times a week I see see a post moved between MV forums, usually to the Not-So-Modern (NSM) forum. Perhaps there's some on the NSM forum pointing back to this forum but it's not much.

The way I've seen this handled on other forum site is that a user would suggest that the poster re-post their comment or question on a more relevant or appropriate site forum so a moderator never gets involved. I've seen that here as well. And, importantly, it allows Jess to focus on higher priority forum enhancements and issues.

Best
Miguel
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I was always assuming his name was pronounced like "felon" but without the f.

Or with the f, if you like.
ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
Tor2ga wrote:
How about a mechanism whereby at a certain time each day one of that day's posters would be randomly selected to receive an award. The award would consist of a blue check mark displayed proudly under the avatar. It would last for 365 days and would then disappear.
How about a Post 'O The Week with the kudos lasting for a week? I know we are an active forum, but having 365 annual awards, each lasting a year would render it too common/easy/normal.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 55,000km

Ossessionato
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 55,000km
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
I don't think this is worth the time investment.
Could be trivial could be tedious/complex. Jess will make his own cost/benefit analysis.
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I knew someone would squint and try to read the details
I had noticed the description on triggering the Molto Verboso award, but thought it would be impolite to point it out
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
berto wrote:
I had noticed the description on triggering the Molto Verboso award, but thought it would be impolite to point it out
Nothing to see here, move along.

Facepalm emoticon
@touring300 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento & GTS 300ie HPE 2022 - Regina Arancione.

Ossessionato
@touring300 avatar
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento & GTS 300ie HPE 2022 - Regina Arancione.
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Just in case you all were wondering where these suggestions go, they go into my notebook(s). I had most of my MV notes (and there were a lot of them) in my 2020 bullet journal, but that was kind of messy and inappropriate, and it was almost full.

Yesterday I started a brand-new notebook for MV. It's the one on the bottom.
I find it quite quaint that in today's highly digitalised world, any modifications to the MV forum start out on good old fashioned pen and paper. That's quite a revelation Jess.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Touring300 wrote:
I find it quite quaint that in today's highly digitalised world, any modifications to the MV forum start out on good old fashioned pen and paper. That's quite a revelation Jess.
Hah. Yeah.

I've swung wildly back and forth between digital and analog notes over the years, dating back to the early 80s. I've tried and sometimes succeeded at keeping my life in the digital domain, but there are definitely times I prefer paper and pen.

I am a prolific user of the Notes app on macOS and iOS. I have thousands of notes in my collection, and I've put serious effort into some of them. There are certain kinds of information that lends itself well to using Notes, like research notes where I need to collect text, images, and links to various relevant websites. My MV folder has a ton of information, things that are largely copied and pasted from logs and other various places and assembled into semi-coherent documentation.

For to-do lists and task organization, though, I am a big fan of the bullet journal method. I would go so far as to say it's changed my life. My MV notes are only sort-of bullet-journal style, but that's the beauty of BuJo -- you take what you need from it, modify it, and make it your own.

I'm also a huge fan of these Rhodia sewn-spine A5 dot-grid notebooks. Expensive for paper, but the dot grid is just right and they are a joy to hold, for reasons I can't quite articulate or even put my finger on.

@coddy avatar
UTC

Hooked
2021 GTS 300 Supersport, Triumph Tiger 800

Hooked
@coddy avatar
2021 GTS 300 Supersport, Triumph Tiger 800
UTC quote
Can I ask that when we get notifications of "likes" of our posts that we can see who liked the post as of now we can only see the name of one poster who liked the post (presumably the first) and then an unnamed "one other" or two others etc.
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS 300

Addicted
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
Shebalba wrote:
Maybe have the opportunity to build out the profile page a little more. Give the member an opportunity for a brief bio or riding style?

How about the option to note if the member is mechanically inclined, wanting to learn.. set in their ways..? This might give people responding the chance to be a bit more understanding when crafting a reply.
+1
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS 300

Addicted
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
[*] "List" button in the editor window to insert lists into a post, like the buttons that provide bold text, italic text, img, quote, URL...
[/list]
+1
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Coddy wrote:
Can I ask that when we get notifications of "likes" of our posts that we can see who liked the post as of now we can only see the name of one poster who liked the post (presumably the first) and then an unnamed "one other" or two others etc.
Yep. This is on my list to investigate. I'm fairly sure we wouldn't show every single thumbs-up as a separate message, but possibly grouped together (as they are now) with more information about who those others are.

The biggest obstacle, believe it or not, is how to do the layout of each notification such that there is enough information there without getting too crowded. And it has to be equally useful on mobile and desktop.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes
UTC quote
jess wrote:
But I'm starting to wonder what the Next Big Thing I should be working on might be.
Can the "jess wrote:" be a link to the post?
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
UTC quote
In order to more effectively read threads, is MV able to mark the last read post in any thread? A different forum I read, concertina.net, does this, even if I have Firefox set to delete cookies at FF exit. A narrow, blue, horizontal line is placed below the last-read post. With that, a logged-in user can scan a page of text until they locate the line. Possible?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
What wrong with the 'take me to the last unread post' button, that has always been there for every thread on MV?
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
UTC quote
Syd wrote:
In order to more effectively read threads, is MV able to mark the last read post in any thread? A different forum I read, concertina.net, does this, even if I have Firefox set to delete cookies at FF exit. A narrow, blue, horizontal line is placed below the last-read post. With that, a logged-in user can scan a page of text until they locate the line. Possible?
Attached is an example of this line:
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
What wrong with the 'take me to the last unread post' button, that has always been there for every thread on MV?
There are also the red "new" bubbles in the top corner of unread posts.
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
berto wrote:
There are also the red "new" bubbles in the top corner of unread posts.
Thanks, both.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Can the "jess wrote:" be a link to the post?
It's not outside of the question, but it's not trivial. I'll add it to the investigate list.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Syd wrote:
Keeping track of last-read post at the server (instead of via cookies) has been a feature of Modern Vespa for longer than almost all other forums. That said, we've never drawn a line between posts. However, there are visual cues -- depending on if you're viewing on your phone or the desktop, they cues are different.

See below for an example of each.

I've had the "draw a line between posts" on my list for a long time. Several years, I think. Given that we already have some visual cues, I'm not sure an additional visual cue is a high priority, but I do see the value.

One thing you and everyone should be doing is clicking on the delta on the left-hand side of a topic title. It takes you directly to the first unread post in the thread. In theory, you shouldn't even have to look for the visual cues.
Desktop unread post cue
Desktop unread post cue
Mobile unread post cue
Mobile unread post cue
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
UTC quote
Got it, thanks, Jess!
UTC

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3
UTC quote
Is a 'go to page' doable? at the moment, i can go straight to pages 1 2 and 3 in the general discussion forum but the next choice is 2032
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Matchlessman wrote:
Is a 'go to page' doable? at the moment, i can go straight to pages 1 2 and 3 in the general discussion forum but the next choice is 2032
Can you tell me more about what you're trying to do when you want to go to some other page? Maybe I can come up with a better solution than manual entry.
UTC

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Can you tell me more about what you're trying to do when you want to go to some other page? Maybe I can come up with a better solution than manual entry.
Its been when ive been looking back at historical posts. If i know a topic is on for example, page 40, theres no way to jump directly to page 40 from page 1. I'm aware that the page numbers are going to change as new topics are added but then its just a case of going back a further page or 2.
UTC

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3
UTC quote
a further pic after clicking on the 3 dots
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Can we please move all the NSR stuff to its own sub-forum?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Matchlessman wrote:
Go to the URL at the top, and edit it to the page number you want, e.g. in this topic:
[NSR] What's cheering you up today?

Edit the line
https://modernvespa.com/forum/topic112184
to
https://modernvespa.com/forum/topic112184.40
to go to the 40th page.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
pokeyjoe wrote:
You're not the first to ask, and likely won't be the last. But the answer is a firm No.
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS 300

Addicted
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
Is it possible to insert picture inline (between text) instead of at end of post?
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Go to the URL at the top, and edit it to the page number you want, e.g. in this topic:
That works for topics, but not the general forum. The general forum uses a start parameter that is the number of topics (so page * 50 or thereabouts).
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
pokeyjoe wrote:
Absolutely not. PLEASE READ -- NSR Posts
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
GermanGTSDriver wrote:
Is it possible to insert picture inline (between text) instead of at end of post?
Yes and no. If the image is already uploaded somewhere on Modern Vespa and you paste a link to it, that link becomes an attachment tag after you submit the post.

But what you're really asking for is a new editor that incorporates inline uploads. It's on the list as the Next Big Project, but it's a really big one.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
GermanGTSDriver wrote:
I'd like to se a re-work of the whole picture 'thing', but that's a huge ask of Jess.

e.g.
Upload multiple images at once.
Be able to view all your own images, and be able to copy a URL for that image ready for insertion.
etc, etc..
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Upload multiple images at once.
Be able to view all your own images, and be able to copy a URL for that image ready for insertion.
etc, etc..
All reasonable suggestions. Just a SMOP.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Matchlessman wrote:
Its been when ive been looking back at historical posts.
Would it be more effective to look for topics started in a specific time period?

I really don't love the manual entry idea, though it's been done elsewhere. It just seems like there must be a better way to find what you're looking for.
UTC

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Would it be more effective to look for topics started in a specific time period?

I really don't love the manual entry idea, though it's been done elsewhere. It just seems like there must be a better way to find what you're looking for.
I'll give it a try. If its missing by design then fair enough. I sometimes have a read though the older posts and it takes a while to get back to the page i'm up to. I hadnt considered doing it with a date search though.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Matchlessman wrote:
I'll give it a try. If its missing by design then fair enough. I sometimes have a read though the older posts and it takes a while to get back to the page i'm up to. I hadnt considered doing it with a date search though.
It's not so much missing by design -- it was just never a part of this particular forum software, and nobody (that I remember) has ever asked for it.

One of the reasons I'm having trouble with this (besides just that manual entry is a tedious way to do things) is that the page number that a topic is currently found on has very little to do with when it was started. Rather, it's about when it was last replied to, so that makes it a bit of a jumble, and not a clean linear historical record.

How far back do you find yourself going?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0533s ][ Queries: 7 (0.0116s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]