@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
So the 2018 Vespa GTS 300 is misbehaving. It starts intermittently, i.e. wake up and go and start it will start fine, go ride it a few miles. Park it go into a coffee shop and come out 15-30 mins later, it wont start. Leave it there for sometime (that seems to vary) and then start it, it works fine.
Yesterday for 4 or 5th time now in the last 4 months it misbehaved, had to leave it overnight (rolled it to a spot where it was safe till Friday for alternate side parking rules). Went over this morning, no problems started and everything was fine.
When this problem initially started back in June/August 20, I checked(cleaned the points, battery, the brake switches, and cleaned the starter and the kill switches, put some dielectric grease and thought that had fixed the problem. But it then started to misbehave again late December into this new year.
My thinking is that the starter relay is the culprit in that it may have some corrosion/carbon in the pins from sparking possibly and when the Vespa warms up it makes those pins expand enough to cause a loose contact and thats why it doesn't start, but when it cools down it contracts and the contact is reestablished.
If that theory isn't a viable reason for this misbehavior what could be causing this MISBEHAVIOR.
Before I order a starter relay and replace it, is there something else that is that the culprit in all this.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
I take it it's not even attempting to turn over given you're looking at the starter relay.
Give the starter motor a gentle tap with a hammer next time.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Put your spare starter relay in - yes, it's one of those spares that are cheap but frustrating not to have at hand when needed! Same with a pair of brake light switches, exhaust gasket etc...
OP
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
I take it it's not even attempting to turn over given you're looking at the starter relay.
Give the starter motor a gentle tap with a hammer next time.
Yes it wont turn even. Just stays silent after the fuel pump whirs, I haven't heard the starter relay click when it generally starts.
But as Jim states, I am making the purchase of the relay and maybe I'll throw in those brake switches in as well keep them handy cuz it will save on shipping.
Muchas gracias.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Check for 12V on the motor too.

https://modernvespa.com/forum/post2572879#2572879
@stevemster avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@stevemster avatar
UTC quote
Fuel pump, or vapor lock issue.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
SteveMster wrote:
Fuel pump, or vapor lock issue.
Irrelevant I'm afraid. It doesn't even turn over, as stated above.

Any of the switches in the circuit can affect this. Kill switch (and side stand switch if fitted), starter switch, brake light switches, starter relay, fuses, rodent attack, whatever - but something is open air where some copper should be.
@stevemster avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@stevemster avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:

Any of the switches in the circuit can affect this. Kill switch (and side stand switch if fitted), starter switch, brake light switches, starter relay, fuses, rodent attack, whatever - but something is open air where some copper should be.
The OP posted the following;

It starts intermittently, i.e. wake up and go and start it will start fine, go ride it a few miles. Park it go into a coffee shop and come out 15-30 mins later, it wont start. Leave it there for sometime (that seems to vary) and then start it, it works fine.

This screams fuel pump and/or vapor lock to me. Been there before with my Piaggio X9 Evolution and Yamaha T-Max. The heat from riding is a sure sign. Once cooled, the vapor lock dissipates and the thing starts.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
SteveMster wrote:
The OP posted the following;

It starts intermittently, i.e. wake up and go and start it will start fine, go ride it a few miles. Park it go into a coffee shop and come out 15-30 mins later, it wont start. Leave it there for sometime (that seems to vary) and then start it, it works fine.

This screams fuel pump and/or vapor lock to me. Been there before with my Piaggio X9 Evolution and Yamaha T-Max. The heat from riding is a sure sign. Once cooled, the vapor lock dissipates and the thing starts.
A fuel pump or vapour lock issue would at least allow the engine to turn over.
@stevemster avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@stevemster avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
A fuel pump or vapour lock issue would at least allow the engine to turn over.
Areed, and I do see that the OP later revised his issue to say he now has a no crank situation which is something else. Not too sure what his issue(s) really are so cannot offer any useful advice. Cheers
OP
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
To be a bit more clearer. When it doesn't start, I mean it doesn't even turn. The battery is fine and the switches are fine but as Jim said where there should be some copper there is some space and that causes the circuit to not be complete. Since the brake switches are working (brake lights light up) the fuel pump whirrs, there is no side stand so no switch there, when the key is inserted and turned on the speedo does its check and all systems are ready to go except there is nothing. I try toggling the kill switch, remove the key and re-insert etc to no avail. Leaving alone for a while seems to have done the trick thus far whenever this has happened. I have had to leave the Vespa at some place & come back the next day and it has started up fine.
I have ordered a starter relay and will replace that when it arrives. Hopefully that will solve the problem.
Will update when I replace the relay unit and we shall then see if it has resolved the issue.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Use a multimeter or test light to see if:
12V gets to the starter relay coil [1] - if yes then the other connection goes to 0V when you try to start. [2].
[1] You need 12V at the relay coil for any hope...
[2] The 'ground' connection to the coil is from the ECU. If not there, then the ECU is duff (very very unlikely) or is being given duff info (kill switch etc).

If all the above is good and there's no turning - check to see if 12V gets to the starter itself (actually not a bad first step before the above) and if so, you have a duff starter - not unknown for them to not like being 'hot'.
@lebo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3

Molto Verboso
@lebo avatar
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3
UTC quote
I am interested in seeing this post to the end.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Checking the voltage at the starter motor involves taking out the pet carrier. On the Primavera at least, the relay is under the floor.
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
Update to the problem I have been having.
So about 10 days ago, the Vespa misbehaved and wouldn't start after I had gone to some place and left it parked for a couple of hours.
I had to push it home about 4.5 miles in all, luckily only about a mile of it was uphill. I had some sore thigh muscles for the next two days.
I left it parked, ordered the parts I was supposed to order i.e. a new starter relay along with some regular maintenance stuff like a new belt & i decided I would change the rollers for some Dr.Pulley sliders.
I got everything and today is relatively warm, I decided I would work on the Vespa starting issue at least. Remember, it would start but then decide to misbehave and not start again for sometimes a few hours other times overnight, I had concluded with expert MODERN VESPA FORUM advice that the relay unit was most likely the culprit. Before I changed the relay unit I decided to see if it would start after the 10 day hiatus, and it did not start. So I replaced the relay and the result was the same. Doesn't start. The brake light works so it isn't the brake light switch(both front & back) work. The horn works, the kill switch has been toggled on and off.
So now I am not sure what to do. Maybe Ill try using the Master key and see if that fixes the problem if not then what else do I tackle.
I have lent my multimeter to a friend so won't get it back till tomorrow, then Ill check the voltage on the battery, though horn was strong, still will check to see what the voltage is.
What do the wise folks advise I do next to resolve the issue.
OP
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
OK so the weather was warm yesterday & today. I managed to take some extra time off during lunch and checked out the Vespa situation.
Checked the voltage on the battery, it was 12.59V with no load. Then I decided to connect the battery tender to charge the battery up. Charged it up in 30 mins to around 13.9V. Tried to start and still wouldn't start. Put in the master brown key and still no starting.

Then I remembered that jimC on another post about testing the starter relay.
So I put my multimeter into the prongs on the starter relay and tried to see if there was a fault in the starter, but instead the Vespa started up.
So i removed the multimeter, turned off the key, turned it back on and tried to start it up again, it flinched but then started up fine.
So to the dumb me it seems like the connectors going to the relay are slightly loose. I used a plier to slightly crimp the connector. It starts up now but there is a slight hesitation and then I have to press the starter button again.
Maybe I need to crimp in some new connectors.
Any of the wise folks want to educate me on whether this is the cause or is there something else that is wrong and this starting was a fluke only.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
baba12 wrote:
Any of the wise folks want to educate me on whether this is the cause or is there something else that is wrong and this starting was a fluke only.
Sounds like you're getting closer. There could be more than one thing wrong. Before I started replacing connectors, switches, etc. I would go back and check the battery again, under load while it's trying to turn the starter over, just to rule out a bad battery. Good luck!
OP
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Sounds like you're getting closer. There could be more than one thing wrong. Before I started replacing connectors, switches, etc. I would go back and check the battery again, under load while it's trying to turn the starter over, just to rule out a bad battery. Good luck!
Will check as per your suggestion over the weekend. Just got free from work, went and tried to start it, it went back on strike & wouldn't start, used a plier to kinda crimp tightly the connectors no effect.
Just hope it is a battery that is just dying, it has been in there since 2018 October. Maybe the use of heated grips over the last 3 years has put an added load to make it deplete faster.
OP
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Ok tried to get the Vespa to start again, battery was reading 12.45V and no go on the starting. So put the battery tender on for an hour to see if the battery would charge up, it would not get past 12.7V after several hours getting it to charge on the trickle charger.
So couldn't get to test the battery under load as it wouldn't even turn.
I will order a new battery and see if that resolves the issue.
Fuses are all ok, the starter relay is ok, the brake light switches are ok.
There is enough juice to get the horn to work along with the fuel pump to come on and the speedo does it's diagnostics.
So question is if 12.45-12.7V is enough to get it to turn at least and if it doesn't is it something else or is it the battery at fault?
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
A battery can easily have enough charge to turn on the lights, even sound the horn, but not enough juice to make the starter turn the engine over. If you can measure the battery voltage while the starter is turning you might see it drop several volts. Not saying for sure your battery is bad, but it's suspect.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
It may be the brushes in the starter motor sticking. Give it a tap with a hammer next time it won't start and see if that gets it going.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
While you are tapping the starter motor with a hammer, tap the sidestand switch.
I assume the brake light is on.
OP
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
waspmike wrote:
While you are tapping the starter motor with a hammer, tap the sidestand switch.
I assume the brake light is on.
Brake light is on. Ill check the starter motor, though when I got it to start the other day it worked fine a few times but then, when I tried starting it again a few hours later it wouldn't do so.
The battery is 5 years old, I am going to have to replace it soon anyways, so I shall just order one and then go from there.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
^ depeding on mileage it might be the brushes in the starter that are stuck or worn.
In theory you should hear or feel the starter relay operate.

Don't over think it and do the easiest fix first.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
Is it fixed yet?
OP
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
Not yet. I took the battery out and have it charging ( tender says it is charged).
I have ordered a new battery in the meantime. I plan to test with a fully charged battery, will check what the voltmeter readings are.
New battery arrives I think Wednesday or Thursday, so hopefully will have an update in the next week or earlier, time and weather permitting.
UTC

Hooked
BV250, BV500

Hooked
BV250, BV500
UTC quote
I have had this sort of problem on several Piaggios and it has been the kill switch. The usual tell-tale light does not go on but there's no reaction to the starter button at all. After I cycle the kill switch a few times it starts. Now I just squirt some contact cleaner around the rocker and flick it on and of a bunch of times, but the real solution is a new switch. Those contacts are exposed to weather all the time and I'm convinced they get corroded. Of course, like all helpful hints on the internet, I could be full of BS. That's happened before.
OP
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
waspmike wrote:
Is it fixed yet?
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Mar 24, 2023, 6:59 PM
A battery can easily have enough charge to turn on the lights, even sound the horn, but not enough juice to make the starter turn the engine over. If you can measure the battery voltage while the starter is turning you might see it drop several volts. Not saying for sure your battery is bad, but it's suspect.
So I installed the old battery after I had charged it overnight. Voltage readings was 13.21V when engine was off, started it up and it fired up fine, voltage was 14.52V. Shut it off, checked voltage it had dropped to 13.12V.
I left it sitting there for a few hours went back checked the battery again, voltage had dropped to 12.43V and it wouldn't start, wouldn't even turn the engine. Lights, horn, turn signals, speedo all check fine but not making the engine start.
So it is the battery, it isn't holding the charge. Now waiting for the replacement battery which is a Yuasa YTX-14BS, hopefully it shall resolve the problem at hand and I shall be back to riding the Vespa.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Did you give the starter motor a bash?
OP
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Did you give the starter motor a bash?
Yes i did, used a back of a screwdriver to tap on it before I started it and it worked. But it did not start again when the battery voltage went down. I don't think it is the starter motor.
@californiacruising avatar
UTC

Addicted
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300

Addicted
@californiacruising avatar
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300
UTC quote
Baba, bet you're right about your battery.

If my used Vespas (with old or unknown battery in service dates) ever have electrical issues, one of the first things I will do is replace the batteries with OE equivalents.
OP
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
Damn it.
So got the new battery a YUASA 14BS. Charged it overnight. Installed earlier today. Nothing. Same old issue, thought it was the battery.
Well so far here is what has been done:-
Replaced starter relay, replaced kill switch, replaced battery.
Still doesn't turn over. It did with the old battery when I had charged it. But then wouldn't start again, the battery had voltage in the 12.4 V range which prompted me to replace it with a brand new one. The voltage reading on this new battery is 13.37V-13.53V so it is charged.
Now what to do, the brake switches work as the brake light comes on. Have tapped the starter motor but to no avail.
Maybe Ill have to have GEICO tow it to the shop if the wise gurus on the forum don't have a remedy besides what has been suggested and tried.
UTC

Hooked
2007gts250ie

Hooked
2007gts250ie
UTC quote
I do not know if you have tried this to see if the starter is any good, may I suggest disconnecting the starter wiring and run power from battery straight to the starter. the best expert that is not able to do diagnosis in person should not be blamed for your scoot not working IMHO. May your present starting problems be soon identified.
OP
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
frank thomas wrote:
I do not know if you have tried this to see if the starter is any good, may I suggest disconnecting the starter wiring and run power from battery straight to the starter. the best expert that is not able to do diagnosis in person should not be blamed for your scoot not working IMHO. May your present starting problems be soon identified.
I shall try and do that.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Have you checked with a multimeter (or test light) that the starter relay coil +ve control voltage is present, and that the ECU is grounding the other end of the coil?
OP
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Have you checked with a multimeter (or test light) that the starter relay coil +ve control voltage is present, and that the ECU is grounding the other end of the coil?
I replaced the starter relay. I haven't checked. I can do that, but will have to wait till sometime next week when it gets a bit warmer and is dry.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
baba12 wrote:
I replaced the starter relay. I haven't checked. I can do that, but will have to wait till sometime next week when it gets a bit warmer and is dry.
Well, I did ask the same question back in January...
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Have you confirmed that when it won't start there is no voltage at the starter motor?
@crackedegg avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Vespa GTS300

Enthusiast
@crackedegg avatar
2018 Vespa GTS300
UTC quote
You say there's no side stand but maybe the switch is still there and it's acting up?
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
I wanted to post earlier, but I thought the ones with more experience with modern Vespas would serve you better. It seems to me that this is a resistance problem and since you have eliminated most of the starting circuit, then the starting motor should be tested. I don't know what is involved with removing it, but getting it out to drop off at a automotive electronics shop may be the way to go. You can hot wire it on the scoot to test, but that can be a little dicey.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.2265s ][ Queries: 43 (0.1242s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]