OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Hey all. I have been an avid rider for almost 4 years now in San Diego. My husband got orders to Virginia Beach, and was wondering what the Vespa scene was out there. I'd like to keep riding most places like I do here, but unsure if that's a possibility there. Thanks!
@marret avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 GTS300 ABS

Hooked
@marret avatar
2016 GTS300 ABS
UTC quote
Welcome.

There are some number of members in the Norfok-Virginia Beach area, hopefully they will respond.

Will you live in Norfolk or nearby? To travel N, NW, or W via interstate from Norfolk requires traveling on bridges and possibly in a tunnel. Virginia Beach is a popular vacation area.

I don't know why you couldn't ride as much other than weather. There is winter in Norfolk, but not as cold as Northern Virginia (NOVA) and north. Hot and humid summers. Visited Norfolk area many times over the years including with the Marine Corps and via ship. Lived in San Diego County twice. Now we have a house not far in Williamsburg.
⚠️ Last edited by marret on UTC; edited 2 times
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
UTC quote
I ride year round and rarely see a Vespa in the wild. I'm sure we have some but its a rare event when you see one. Richmond is 100 miles away and is a Vespa hot spot. I take Route 60 to get there. Don't sweat the HRBT tunnel. If you leave early enough you'll breeze on thru it, leave later you'll go no faster than 20mph. I've ridden 50cc mopeds thru it.

Our version of steel grated bridges leave a bit to be desired. The Portsmouth bridge is so worn down. Same with the James River bridge. Loosen your grip and keep your speed steady is the best approach.

We have/had a good general scooter club in the area but I think they may be defunct. Sparkle Motion. Started out as modded Rucks club but would allow everyone to ride with them. Fun group. The other local club is mostly China scoots. You can bet there's a breakdown on EVERY ride!

Weather is weird lately. My wife thinks we're in a bubble to avoid extreme weather, built by the government to protect the military bases. It's gonna be a extra buggy summer this year.

Any other questions just reach out. It seems when people move away from VA they eventually come back. I tried escaping and came back. I'm trapped here because of my job. Overall I would rank it pretty good place to live.

Oh, and welcome!
UTC

Enthusiast
BV 350, Suzuki VanVan, Triumph Street Twin

Enthusiast
UTC quote
I live in Norfolk. My wife and I find that this is not a great place to ride. It's pretty much nothing but urban riding which leaves a lot to be desired. We do ride often and year round...to the grocery or Marina, but recreational riding has all but stopped. We do take our scooters out to the mountains for occasional recreational rides. I guess if you are used to city riding then it won't be a lot different. Where you live will matter a lot. If you live south or west then there will be easier access to country roads...
Feel free to PM with any questions.
JEB
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Will you live in Norfolk or nearby? To travel N, NW, or W via interstate from Norfolk requires traveling on bridges and possibly in a tunnel. Virginia Beach is a popular vacation area.[/quote]

We switched our focus to Norfolk. My husband is going to be stationed at JEB Little Creek, on the Norfolk side.
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
sc00ter wrote:
I ride year round and rarely see a Vespa in the wild. I'm sure we have some but its a rare event when you see one. Richmond is 100 miles away and is a Vespa hot spot. I take Route 60 to get there. Don't sweat the HRBT tunnel. If you leave early enough you'll breeze on thru it, leave later you'll go no faster than 20mph. I've ridden 50cc mopeds thru it.

Our version of steel grated bridges leave a bit to be desired. The Portsmouth bridge is so worn down. Same with the James River bridge. Loosen your grip and keep your speed steady is the best approach.

We have/had a good general scooter club in the area but I think they may be defunct. Sparkle Motion. Started out as modded Rucks club but would allow everyone to ride with them. Fun group. The other local club is mostly China scoots. You can bet there's a breakdown on EVERY ride!

Weather is weird lately. My wife thinks we're in a bubble to avoid extreme weather, built by the government to protect the military bases. It's gonna be a extra buggy summer this year.

Any other questions just reach out. It seems when people move away from VA they eventually come back. I tried escaping and came back. I'm trapped here because of my job. Overall I would rank it pretty good place to live.

Oh, and welcome!
Thanks for the info! We are looking at making Hampton Roads home. Husband has 5 1/2 years until he hits 20, and he'll pretty much have first pick upon leaving this unit so he'll pick another in the area if we both like it. I'm a military vet myself, now federal employee so lots of job opportunities for me. I love San Diego but I can get so much more house out there than here, COL sucks here.
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Jebarrett wrote:
I live in Norfolk. My wife and I find that this is not a great place to ride. It's pretty much nothing but urban riding which leaves a lot to be desired. We do ride often and year round...to the grocery or Marina, but recreational riding has all but stopped. We do take our scooters out to the mountains for occasional recreational rides. I guess if you are used to city riding then it won't be a lot different. Where you live will matter a lot. If you live south or west then there will be easier access to country roads...
Feel free to PM with any questions.
JEB
We only do urban riding, we use scooters to commute to and from work and other places. Gas is $$$ out here and we save so much only using the car here and there, that 80-90 MPG is wonderful. Plus a lot of places its much easier to park with a scooter especially around the beaches. We got into scooters more for practicality than fun riding, but it does make commuting more fun too.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
UTC quote
I go down Little Creek all the time. I live in Shoop Park, or Shoot Park as we call it. But honestly, it's not that bad of a area. I've been here for awhile and the area keeps getting better. It did stink when I first moved here though.

I've been at my job for 26 years. I work for a company that makes chainsaws and other power tools. My wife is retired from the State. We rarely catch shows anymore, has to be a band we really like. But we do have some great small to mid-sized venues. If you like pinball/video games we have a few local barcades. I rarely drink so the bar side doesn't appeal to me, so we drive 60 miles to Grandy, NC for our pinball fix.

I'm currently bravely testing a local Aprlia dealer that claims there PADS can read my Liberty 150, and letting them fix it. Claim they have full Piaggio access because they're a warranty center for all Piaggio products. Trying to stay local.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
sc00ter wrote:
I'm currently bravely testing a local Aprlia dealer that claims there PADS can read my Liberty 150, and letting them fix it. Claim they have full Piaggio access because they're a warranty center for all Piaggio products. Trying to stay local.
We had a very good Aprilia dealer in Houston that did my Vespa service if I didn't feel like riding to Austin as well as our BV, Sports City and Scarabeo service. Never had a problem and the work was always well done. Then a new owner came in and "we don't work on scooters" not even Aprilia ones, asshat (new owner) anyway they should be able to work on your Liberty without any problems.
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Is that the dealer in Yorktown or is there one closer now?
JEB
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
UTC quote
Alright Jeb, here goes what I understand. The one in Yorktown is Redline Performance. When that location burned down awhile back Honda of Virginia Beach offered them space at their Virginia Beach Blvd location. Next thing I know Redline Performance purchased the Honda franchise, so it's now Honda AND what they sold/still? sell at the Yorktown location. I never asked if the Yorktown location ever opened back up, and I was out that way a few weeks ago and forgot to look.

My 'Bad light on the holidays' thread details why I'm still unsure of Redline being able to diagnose my Liberty, but it seems they can. I'm the guinea pig I guess.
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
I am eager to know how things go for you. I don't often need a service center, but when I do I have been going up to moto Richmond. Would be great to find a local operation! Please do share either on the forum or via PM your final analysis.
JEB
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0155s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0051s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]