@bluside avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie

Addicted
@bluside avatar
UTC quote
The Vespa only has 1,850 miles on it but it's 12 years old now. I want to put a new spark plug in it along with everything else I 'm doing to it. My plan is to disconnect the shock and raise the body for better access instead of just fumbling through it in that small space.

I have watched all the videos online about changing the plug but I have never raised the body before. I do have a scissors jack. Do I need to disconnect anything before I do this or just be real careful and slow and watch out for things until the spark plug can be reached?

Thanks in advance.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Disconnect the spark plug lead from the plug, and undo the clips that hold any hoses and looms that might get stressed. Then place the scissor jack under the front, And hold down the front wheel - using a chock or other means (helper?). Remove the bottom bolt from the shock, and wind the scooter up. You may need to give it a bit of a helping hand to swivel. Double-check you're not stressing any wires or hoses.

It won't take long before the space to get at the plug becomes more accessible (though still a bit tight!). The placing is just right when you judge you can remove the valve cover (the two bolts at the front are still in front of the frame member) - and now is a good time to check the valve clearances anyway.
OP
@bluside avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@bluside avatar
UTC quote
Thanks, Jim. I was hoping to not have to disconnect the spark plug lead until I can reach it. Not much room in there. I do have some long needle nose pliers that might work. No sure about getting it back on. That has been my fear.

I guess I won't know until I try.

Good suggestion on the valves.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
bluside wrote:
Thanks, Jim. I was hoping to not have to disconnect the spark plug lead until I can reach it. Not much room in there. I do have some long needle nose pliers that might work. No sure about getting it back on. That has been my fear.

I guess I won't know until I try.

Good suggestion on the valves.
The usual tool that's advised to get the cap off is a 19mm open-ended wrench - but I find that slips as there's bugger-all room in the LX. An 18mm however just catches the lip of the cap well enough to 'surprise' it off.
OP
@bluside avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@bluside avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
The usual tool that's advised to get the cap off is a 19mm open-ended wrench - but I find that slips as there's bugger-all room in the LX. An 18mm however just catches the lip of the cap well enough to 'surprise' it off.
Once again, I thank you Jimc for the suggestions...I just finished the job.

For some reason I could not find my 18mm or 19mm wrenches. I was able to remove the cap with my long needle nose pliers. After removing the small plastic spark plug cover, I was able to loosen the plug with the supplied socket but was not able to reach in enough to remove the plug with my hands. At that point I tried to put it all back together, try another day, but could not get the spark plug cap back on. That was my fear.

Now, I'm committed. Put the Vespa in the scooter chock, got the scissors jack underneath and start to remove the shock bolt.

Just like you said, the front end started to come up out of the chock. I had to use some tie down straps from the handlebars to the chock to hold it down.

Once I was able to lift the body up about an inch or so, I had enough room to work in the tight area and change out the plug. What a pain that was. I have a few cuts and bruises on my knuckles to remind me not to do that again anytime soon.

With only 1,850 miles on the Vespa, and it's running good, I'll wait for a few more miles to check the valves.

TL/DR...
I was able to raise the body with no problem. I removed the spark plug wire (probably did not have to do remove it) and just carefully raised it while watching for any problem with wires or hoses.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0108s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0033s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]