@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber
UTC quote
gaillo, It wasn't directed at our unfortunate friend.

It was a witty retort to another.

To those who seemed to misunderstand my comments or who they are aimed at - I don't want our unfortunate friend to injure himself again and if that means having to reconsider a future not on two wheels,you know, for his own well being I feel that he should consider it.

Heal soon Buddy.
⚠️ Last edited by Bill Dog on UTC; edited 1 time
@kawi_girl avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 300

Hooked
@kawi_girl avatar
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
Very sorry to read about your injuries. Wishing you a full recovery and lots of patience as you heal. When it's time for physiotherapy I wish you strength and stamina to do the work you need to get mobility back.
@clampett avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 GTS 300 HPE, 2022 Primavera 150

Hooked
@clampett avatar
2022 GTS 300 HPE, 2022 Primavera 150
UTC quote
Heal fast scooter friend.

As far as luck, this reminds me of a fellow biker back in 1970. He had 17 accidents on his bike in one year. Taking chances and busting rims. Lost handlebars once hitting curb while dodging an 18 wheeler lane changing. Well, you get the drift. Still riding today and the only thing close to accident since then was a drop at the mailbox. Had he listened to the nay-sayers, we would have missed a lot of wonderful times. We both agreed that it was better to take the chance than live this long without our 2 wheeled adventures.

As to the previous analogy, it's like comparing a revolver to a single shot for a game of roulette.
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250
UTC quote
I'm sorry. I'm with Bill on this one.

In May 2021 he was tagged and dumped by a car that violated his "Right of Way". The scooter spent five months in the shop being repaired.

Two months after getting it back Melody was totaled by a person that didn't see him

Now, about fifteen months after losing one scooter his new scooter has been totaled by someone that didn't see him.

Somehow I have a lot of trouble with "He didn't see me." If I was hit by someone who violated my "Right of Way" I would be paranoid and made sure I left lots of room and be ready to stop at the first sign of trouble. Which, BTW, I do on every ride.

I'm not saying he should quit but maybe engage in some serious cognition about why people aren't seeing him.
@mr_f avatar
UTC

Hooked
2013 BV350

Hooked
@mr_f avatar
2013 BV350
UTC quote
Amateriat,
Best wishes and get well.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
Sobering story, but glad to hear the outlook is positive. Whether you get back up on the horse - your call.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Amateriat, Hoping you come out of this one fully healed in body and mind. Having this kind of accident can screw with your mind long after the physical healing is done. Sometimes, it is a good thing as it improves the rider awareness and safety that goes along with it. Sometimes not.
I talk to many new riders and those who want to learn. A suggestion of the MSF course always is suggested along with my personal view: Don't ride in the big city if you can help it. Small towns, back roads even a highway is safer. But after all, this is a Vespa forum and basically that's what this scooter was made for (I'm talking about anything made from 150cc and below). Just saying I want you safe brother to ride more if you are still willing to.
⚠️ Last edited by Tierney on UTC; edited 1 time
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
....... my personal view: Don't ride in the big city if you can help it. Small towns, back roads even a highway is safer. But after all, this is a Vespa forum and basically that's what this scooter was made for (I'm talking about anything made from 150cc and below). I know you ride into Gotham on a regular basis, in all kinds of weather, year round. I admire your tenacity, but it may be time to maybe not give up riding, but ride anywhere else but NYC. Just saying I want you safe brother to ride more if you are still willing to.
I find myself largely in agreement with this view. When I was younger I rode scooters and motorcycles in all kinds of conditions including inner city traffic and winter conditions in Boston. Periodically, me and my bike received some bangs and scrapes - plus one trip to the emergency room. As I have become longer in the tooth, I have mostly avoided heavy traffic and marginal riding conditions. I mainly ride in light traffic in the burbs and on rural roads. One result is that I enjoy riding more, another is that I don't periodically get myself or my bike banged up. That is a good thing as I now heal slowly. (now this is just me, each rider decides their own tolerance for risk)
⚠️ Last edited by Dooglas on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC
Bill Dog has been ejected from this topic
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Amateriat:

I am my writing my misadventures as I post this. And I am going to dedicate the thread to you. Heal well and heal fast my friend. Stay tuned.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 57,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 57,000km
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
Yes, another But I Didn't See You incident, but I saw it all this time, as did a witness. Driver did admit fault.
If you don't mind me asking, was this middle of the day or dawn/dusk or night or raining?

Not that this changes who's fault it is just wondering about maybe wearing a high vis vest or jacket.

PS I hope you do keep riding
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, was this middle of the day or dawn/dusk or night or raining?

Not that this changes who's fault it is just wondering about maybe wearing a high vis vest or jacket.

You can be costumed as a fully dressed Christmas tree, complete with flashing fairy lights and you could still be ploughed into. Which very, very nearly happened to a friend of mine in the UK on a Christmas hospital run - luckily she spotted the plonker in time and avoided him as he screeched around in front of her.

Her ROSPA training came into the fore.
UTC

Hooked
2007gts250ie

Hooked
2007gts250ie
UTC quote
Having spent much time driving in NYC, I have come to believe that much too high a number of people that drive there do have the legal right to even be driving anywhere in the USA. Being run into because they do not see anything in the path they are attempting to go should never be deemed, in the slightest, a fault of the person that has been run into.
UTC

Hooked
Stella

Hooked
Stella
UTC quote
Amateriat, I wish you well, and expect you have the courage and heart to do whatever you damn well please.
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
You can be costumed as a fully dressed Christmas tree, complete with flashing fairy lights and you could still be ploughed into.
That's definitely true as your example illustrates and also shown by the fact that emergency vehicles and police cruisers with their lights on are also way too often hit by other drivers.
But then there are also some statistics, for example that a light colored helmet versus a black one significantly reduces the likelihood of being in a two vehicle accident.

Increasing visibility on a PTW makes for a good risk mitigation strategy. Not that it will always protect you or could eliminate the risks, but it for sure improves the odds.
@rocklanddad avatar
UTC

Hooked
VESPA GTS 300

Hooked
@rocklanddad avatar
VESPA GTS 300
UTC quote
So sorry to read this post. I ride to and from NYC all the time about 25 miles north. It's the chance we all take. I cannot believe you are being attacked on this site being told to give it up. Of course, so as you wish, but this is a time for you to hear words of encouragement and healing - nothing else.

I wish you a much needed and deserved full recovery.
OP
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:

jimc wrote:
You can be costumed as a fully dressed Christmas tree, complete with flashing fairy lights and you could still be ploughed into. Which very, very nearly happened to a friend of mine in the UK on a Christmas hospital run - luckily she spotted the plonker in time and avoided him as he screeched around in front of her.

Her ROSPA training came into the fore.
This was the thing: Second Avenue in Long Branch is a two-way street running between the NJ Transit train station. It was 11AM and a tad overcast but otherwise quite bright outside. Wife was catching a train to Gotham from the station tat she wouldn't have time to pay for her parking stub. I implored her not to rush, just park the car and get on the train; I'd ride up and pay for her stub.

It was when I was approaching the station heading North on Second Avenue when a driver in a Jeep in the opposite direction decided to cut a point-blank
left in front of me. Besides my rather-colorful helmet, there's the matter of my headlight. Really should've been enough, yes?
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650.

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650.
UTC quote
I'm sorry to hear of your accident and the climb ahead to heal. You've certainly had your unfortunate share of two-wheeled emergencies.

Follow your heart as you wade through the coming days, weeks, and months. That's about the only advice I can offer since I can barely make sense of my own life let alone offer advice to someone else.

Best wishes for a speedy, uneventful recovery. At the very least, your incapacity will slow you down and make you an ideal portrait subject for your wife.

When my wife broke her leg hiking in the mountains, the event ignited an unexpected photo project during which I exposed several thousand rolls of film with my Leica M6 as she hobbled through life.

Who knows where this unfortunate circumstance will lead you...
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Does HJC sell helmets in six packs? Asking for a friend.
UTC

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3
UTC quote
I hope you feel better soon, it can't be fun! Hopefully your wife didn't get a parking ticket.
@somerset avatar
UTC

Addicted
2019 Honda - The Monkey

Addicted
@somerset avatar
2019 Honda - The Monkey
UTC quote
Wishing you all the best and a full recovery.

somerset
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em
UTC quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
Follow your heart as you wade through the coming days, weeks, and months. That's about the only advice I can offer since I can barely make sense of my own life let alone offer advice to someone else.
I think this is the best advice I have seen in this thread.

Get well and when you can, start writing. Your stories, painful or not, bring a lot to many of us.

Ken
@tidwillow avatar
UTC

Hooked
GILERA FUOCO II & GTS 300 SUPER

Hooked
@tidwillow avatar
GILERA FUOCO II & GTS 300 SUPER
UTC quote
Ride your own ride, live your own life. When all healed up do what makes you happy in life. I've been hit 5 times unfortunately (none my fault!) with two being very serious. I always contemplate when and if I ride again while I'm healing up. I weigh the pros and cons and not riding never wins. The joy I get from being on the open road as well as the comradery from other riders always brings me back. I know you will make the right decision when it comes to your situation. Speedy recovery on your injuries.....
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax
UTC quote
I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. But glad you are well enough to post about it.

You will very likely have a long recovery period to reflect on your your riding future. As mentioned above, follow your heart. I know 1st hand what you're going through. Also consider how your wife feels as well. After my accident in '21, my wife was fully supportive of my decision to ride again; she knows how much I enjoy riding. But I was (and still am) very conscious of the anxiety she feels whenever I go out; it is easing for her a bit over time.

Last thoughts...follow the advice of your doctors, nurses and physical therapists throughout your recovery. It will greatly improve your chances for best results.

Good fortune and fast healing to you.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
∆∆∆∆∆∆❣️
@spirovision avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS super 300

Hooked
@spirovision avatar
GTS super 300
UTC quote
speedy recovery !!
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"
UTC quote
As much fun as riding is, broken bones and hospitalization aren't.

I hate to recommend a cage over two wheeled freedom, but you have a family who counts on you, and you can only keep dodging the bullet for so long. A lot of riders never have a serious accident on two wheels, and you've had 3 in 2 years that weren't your fault, yet you're the one paying the price.

Maybe the cosmos is telling you to replace Thelonica next time with a Miata convertible or, if you like Italian, a nice Alfa or refurbished Fiat 124 or (if you really want a challenge) an MGB or TR-6. In between breakdowns, they're a lot of fun, and you still get wind in your hair, you get wet when it rains, and you freeze when it's cold.

Please heal quickly, and straight, and with a minimum of pain.

My best to you and your family.
@scooter_curmudgeon avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT200/GTS300/Primavera 150

Enthusiast
@scooter_curmudgeon avatar
GT200/GTS300/Primavera 150
UTC quote
Wishing you the best possible recovery. As others have suggested, be diligent about complying with the recommendations of the medical pros, the more complete your recovery, the better your future strength and health.

I know the challenge in coming back from major injury, but I enjoy riding so I ride every time as if everyone else is actively trying to kill me. The Stebel air horns I had installed are worth every penny, I often find myself sharing the streets (downtown!) with log trucks. More than once I believe a driver has filled their shorts upon hearing them.

Listen to your heart, your wife, and your medical counsel. The advice of your friends will sort itself, and you can sift as you see fit.

Cheers,

Bob
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
lostboater wrote:
I think this is the best advice I have seen in this thread.

Get well and when you can, start writing. Your stories, painful or not, bring a lot to many of us.

Ken
Amateriat,

Steve and Ken both are offering excellent advice.

While recovering, you will have many opportunities to consider your future of riding.

But during this time, I would enjoy hearing about the recovery and the process of the decision making regarding your riding in the future.

Some here feel that they are a better rider than others, offering advice based on that presumption.

But none of us, accident free or not, were in the position you were in when the accidents occurred, so none here can judge from where we sit.

I am hopeful that a full recovery is ahead for you and you will make the best decision for your future.

Bill
UTC

2023 GTS

2023 GTS
UTC quote
Wishing you a speedy and full recovery. I can't add anything more to what Bill said.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie
UTC quote
Amateriat - For now focus on rest, recovery, hydration, nutrition, and more rest and hydration.

In the future, I agree with others who have said to strongly consider whether or not riding is for you.

I'll also tell you a personal story of riding and crashing as food for thought to consider down the road when your recovery is coming along:

My girl is visually impaired. We've been trying to get her comfortable getting around on ebikes (the pedal kind) as they're slow, relatively light weight, and can (hopefully) allow her more mobility despite her condition.

The problem is the first one we got her was cheap but didn't really suit her riding style (capacity, quality). The second one was expensive and very good quality but didn't suit her physical needs (normal height was hard for her to put her food down should she start to tip over). She has crashed, a lot, on both bikes.

For Christmas I bought her something smaller in frame, but still high in quality and capacity, that I think will suit her best. The goal is that with this bike, which maybe isn't the nicest looking or flashiest, she'll have something that is best suited to her particular needs, albeit not her ego, and she will be safer because it will be easier for her to handle. If she continues to crash on this one we will sell it and say that's enough of that.

It's important to try different things to see what fits and what doesn't. It's also important to know when it's time to say "Fuck this." and find something else.

Hopefully you heal up, and find what fits you, and if not, don't be afraid to say Fuck this and do something else.

If everything was for everyone we'd all be Warren Buffet.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
giallo wrote:
Why are you doing this? Is this all you can come up with in a situation that calls for compassion and empathy?

Just stop.
Apparently some people have missed this post.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
giallo wrote:
Why are you doing this? Is this all you can come up with in a situation that calls for compassion and empathy?

Just stop.
Apparently some people have missed this post.
kz1000ST wrote:
I'm sorry. I'm with Bill on this one.

In May 2021 he was tagged and dumped by a car that violated his "Right of Way". The scooter spent five months in the shop being repaired.

Two months after getting it back Melody was totaled by a person that didn't see him

Now, about fifteen months after losing one scooter his new scooter has been totaled by someone that didn't see him.

Somehow I have a lot of trouble with "He didn't see me." If I was hit by someone who violated my "Right of Way" I would be paranoid and made sure I left lots of room and be ready to stop at the first sign of trouble. Which, BTW, I do on every ride.

I'm not saying he should quit but maybe engage in some serious cognition about why people aren't seeing him.
In the nursing process this is called patient blaming and it's highly frowned upon.

The OP has disclosed no cognitive impairments whatsoever and your use of the third person gives the impression that you are just the best rider who has never laid a scooter down

⚠️ Last edited by Max6200 on UTC; edited 1 time
@cogind avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 300

Hooked
@cogind avatar
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
Amateriat,

Heal up and take care of yourself . I have followed your adventures with your bikes, I wish you the best.

My story: I used to commute by motorcycle to work, appx 100k miles worth. Got a call my mom was about to pass away, took the moto instead of the cage to the hospital. I was not in the best decision making headspace. Had an accident from a driver pulling out in front of me and stopping. I had nowhere to go except down.

Broke my arm into hundreds of pieces, had surgery, started to heal. I told myself if I gave up riding, it was going to be on my terms, not because of another person's mistake. I picked up an old Honda GT650 that was not running, and took seven or eight months to restore it.

My idea was I would see how I felt about riding when I got done rebuilding it.
I started slow, felt more and more at ease, and began to ride again. I didn't commute anymore, I just didn't feel like it. I rode the bike from 08 to '13, sold it and bought a sports car.

Six years of driving the sports car, I started to yearn for a Vespa.

And here I am.

Take your time, lots of time to make decisions. Keep good thoughts of the great rides you did have. That helped me heal a lot.
OP
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
That which does not kill us...

A Quick One: According to the police report, it turns out The Other Guy blew the Stop sign at the intersection. (Sigh.)

Got pictures of Thelonica from the wrecker. Heavier damage from the same side as the tip-over incident, among other damage. Most likely a write-off this time, but…it also looks like the GTS design literally saved my butt (though not quite my left hand) in the same manner Melody did.

When the time is right...[/i]
Nica Took the Bullet: One good argument over a moto.
Nica Took the Bullet: One good argument over a moto.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:

Makes us stronger...
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
adri wrote:
(1)]Amateriat - For now focus on rest, recovery, hydration, nutrition, and more rest and hydration.

(2)In the future, I agree with others who have said to strongly consider whether or not riding is for you
(1) Absolutely
(2)Bullshit

Trying to discuss with my orthopedic surgeon whether or not to get back on my scooter. You know what his answer was. Max we are here to make it better and stronger and if that's not possible we'll make you as good and as strong as you were before the accident. Did you feel like you shouldn't ride scooters before the accident? We all work with professional athletes and amateur athletes all the time and it's not our place to tell them to quit what they love. Orthopedic surgery is not here to take your joy away.

Please stop this insanity. The decision will be his and his own without discussion. I think I have just turned into an alternate reality. I can't believe I'm hearing this b******* on a vespa forum.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Well said Max, thank you.

As always, Let the Rider decide!
@californiacruising avatar
UTC

Addicted
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300

Addicted
@californiacruising avatar
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:

A Quick One: According to the police report, it turns out The Other Guy blew the Stop sign at the intersection. (Sigh.)

Got pictures of Thelonica from the wrecker. Heavier damage from the same side as the tip-over incident, among other damage. Most likely a write-off this time, but…it also looks like the GTS design literally saved my butt (though not quite my left hand) in the same manner Melody did.

When the time is right...[/i]
No time to let your guard down but it would seem at this point in time, you're all paid up with the gods of chaos.

☮️ 🍀 🙏
OP
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
CaliforniaCruising wrote:
No time to let your guard down but it would seem at this point in time, you're all paid up with the gods of chaos.

☮️ 🍀 🙏
Not certain about being all paid-up (look at what kept happening with Thor, and he supposedly had more pull…and the hammer, of course), but vigilance shall obviously continue.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1638s ][ Queries: 44 (0.1252s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]