OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
OK, sorry if this bores the pants of you and this discussion been had.
My Road 2.0 is getting ratty, its noisy and offends my ears on long journeys. However, its been a superb exhaust on a basic setup, namely px125 with DR177, 24mm carb, etc etc. Top speed GPS 64.5mph. Could probably eek a bit more out of it with a clutch cog tooth upping, however I like the around town gearing, hills and it copes with strong head winds. I actually lose my bottle past 60mph as im getting old and sensible.

Is it worth getting another Road 2.0 or do i go for the Road 3.0. OK, SIP claim like up to 2bhp more with malossi road kit, i assume this is a 210cc. So, how do this pan out on something like a 177, or a malossi 166 say? It really gets my goat that performance statistics for new exhaust kit is always based on large block engines with 200+ cc. A lot of us have got 125/150s with bolt-on CC enlargements. So anybody got one on a 166/177? Any notable difference if you have? I tried the polini big box, it was great around town, it pulled like a train around the 50mph zone local roads and superior acceleration over the road 2.0 but lack lustre past that, couldnt get past 58mph despite all the recommended tweaks of timing, jetting etc etc.

If that road 3.0 can pull like a train in the 3rd to 4th gear bracket like the polini but will allow the revs to get past the polinis stumbling block of 5500 RPM, id be tempted. The road 3.0 looks quite low to the ground, anybody grounded it leaning in to corners or going over humps?? Thanks in advance, yours confused, Malc
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate

118 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
I have a SR3 on my P210 and it's a solid option, assuming the captive nut isn't mislocated. It extends the power band out a little bit further than the SR2 did, so you'll get a few more MPH of top end if they motor can push you through the air at those speeds. (Wind resistance: the struggle is real).

I think it's the quietest exhaust I own, too, but that's not saying much in a garage full of tuned pipes.
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
I have a SR3 on my P210 and it's a solid option, assuming the captive nut isn't mislocated. It extends the power band out a little bit further than the SR2 did, so you'll get a few more MPH of top end if they motor can push you through the air at those speeds. (Wind resistance: the struggle is real).

I think it's the quietest exhaust I own, too, but that's not saying much in a garage full of tuned pipes.
Well quiet is good for me. I cant get anymore MPH due to my gearing and its not something im looking to do top end, i would like the pulling grunt 3rd to 4th, like the polini box had. Acceleration on polinibox was better than road 2.0 up to 50-55 mph, then fizzled out. I guess i might as well get a 3.0 as my 2.0 needs replacing. Thanks for your feedback, what about the ground clearance?
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
ferriswolf wrote:
what about the ground clearance?
Pretty much the same a the SR2.0.

I even run an SRXL on my VBB with 8"s and haven't had clearance issues. I *did* have to swap to a side stand because there wasn't clearance for the centerstand spring, though.
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
Pretty much the same a the SR2.0.

I even run an SRXL on my VBB with 8"s and haven't had clearance issues. I *did* have to swap to a side stand because there wasn't clearance for the centerstand spring, though.
How did you jet? How many points over , or about the same ?
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
ferriswolf wrote:
How did you jet? How many points over , or about the same ?
I'm not a good basis of comparison. I run a heavily modified 3port SorintV motor with a bgm177 in that bike. Off the top of my head, I think it's a 120/BE5/125, though.
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
ferriswolf wrote:
Could probably eek a bit more out of it with a clutch cog tooth upping, however I like the around town gearing, hills and it copes with strong head winds. I actually lose my bottle past 60mph as im getting old and sensible.
Do you still have the Polini box?
Up a cog tooth and give it another try.

It'll still have the pull you liked, and extend it's sweet spot.
Less shifting as well.
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Ray8 wrote:
Do you still have the Polini box?
Up a cog tooth and give it another try.

It'll still have the pull you liked, and extend it's sweet spot.
Less shifting as well.
No I moved it on.
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
I'm not a good basis of comparison. I run a heavily modified 3port SorintV motor with a bgm177 in that bike. Off the top of my head, I think it's a 120/BE5/125, though.
What I meant was the jet change on your setup from road 2 to 3? Maybe 2 points up , say?
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
ferriswolf wrote:
What I meant was the jet change on your setup from road 2 to 3? Maybe 2 points up , say?
That I couldn't say. Sorry.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0287s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0057s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]