OP
UTC

Lurker
Steall, Allstate Cruisaire

Lurker
UTC quote
I just found a 59-60 Cruisaire. I'll have it in possession on Monday. It is a GORGEOUS barnfind. Original paint. No major dings. No rust. Some flaking. Some scratches. It's been used for sure, but in ridiculous condition.

So my question is this....it's been sitting for a long time.

Obviously I want to see what is working and what needs work. At the same time I don't want to check something that will create greater problems (trying to fire the engine, while sucking grime into it.

So. If this bike was being wheeled into your garage what would be the first couple steps you'd go through to check things out.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

69 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Welcome to NSM! You've come to the right place for this.

Since you're keeping the OG paint, you're going to need to do a complete "soft parts" (seals, rubber, tires & tubes, cables, clutch plates, probably electrical) rebuild pretty much straight away. You'll need a few Vespa-specific tools, too, like a clutch castle nut tool and possibly a flywheel removal tool (Depending on your mechanical skillset, this could be a couple of weekends, or much, much longer.

It *might* start and run, but the seals will fail pretty quickly. Even if they're intact now, they'll crack or, if they're old enough, the ethanol in current gasoline mixes will attack the rubber. Once that happens, it'll be pretty obvious you have an air leak. If you keep riding past that point, you'll be heading for a seize, which will probably damage the piston, if not the cylinder.

It probably won't ride very well, to be honest. The cables will be stiff. The shifter will be stiff. The tires will be hard and slippery. The shocks will be crappy.

Nothing wrong with taking it for a spin up and down the block, but you don't want to go much further than that before you tackle some of the underlying issues.

And let's see some pictures! We love pictures around here. Plus, you'd be amazed what this crowd picks up from even low quality pictures.
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb
UTC quote
Welcome !

Pics when you can please!!!
Sounds like an amazing score.

Do you know how long it's been sitting?
5 years vs 30 years makes a big difference in how I'd approach it. Chandler is spot on for something that has been sitting forever.

If it has been run somewhat recently you might get away with a fluid change (gear oil), carb clean, and a new plug to fire it up. But, for the love of god don't use the gas tank until it's been cleaned up. Just use some premix fed into the carb from a plastic bottle or similar to get proof of life.

Again welcome, can't wait to see what you found!
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
^^^ That's the ticket and I second the demand for pics àsap!
Quote:
...you're going to need to do a complete "soft parts" (seals, rubber, tires & tubes, cables, clutch plates, ...
The flip side of this is that for the hardware you are usually better off with factory original stuff - your own that came with the bike refurbished best you can, NOS or factory parts if available or even used parts from a fellow Vespa tinkerer. The bargain repop parts are so often disappointing.

Is this a piston ported motor? You can tell by the carb mounted directly on the cylinder instead of on the crankcase. If so, that limits your options compared to newer rotary valve motors.
Piston ported motor:
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

As far as the wiring, it depends on the bike. I fixed up a '58 AllState that was mostly a mess including rusty ruined motor, but the original wiring was still pliable and good except where a mouse gnawed through a few.

Easy fix
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
I'll have it in hand for better pictures Monday. I went and looked at it, but he had it tucked behind motorcycle parts and couldn't get good pics. Here's the grainy ones he originally sent.

The goal was to keep everything as original as possible (engine etc). No problem getting seals etc.
I had a Bluebadge years ago and did some work on it before I sold it 95% complete....have been kicking myself since I sold it.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
You may find that front fork is a little more OG than you're really wantng, but WOW is that a great looking bike!

Congrats on a great find.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
You may find that front fork is a little more OG than you're really wantng, but WOW is that a great looking bike!

Congrats on a great find.
Yep, those front forks are pogo sticks when riding and a real blast when you hit the brakes as the front end just dives down. You can always run a stiffer spring to keep it OG looking. Still - a fantastic find and a fun project! Kudos.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
Looking good so far, looking forward to a peek under that cowl! Piston ported would look like this, mine w/original motor.

What Sears model is yours? Here's mine & a thread all about it - Scruffy AllState, crappy headlight finally fixed!

UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
biggoalie31 wrote:
I had a Bluebadge years ago and did some work on it before I sold it 95% complete....have been kicking myself since I sold it.
I have been there and was lucky enough to get it (66 BB Sprint) back once, only to have to let it go months later. I think most of us on here have been there as well. We could probably start a topic on the ones that got away....
UTC

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc
UTC quote
That's most probably a piston ported motor unless it was swapped out at some point, but judging the pic it hasn't been touched in a long time.

Those engines are SLOW. Like slower than a current 50cc scooter slow.

I have a 59 too. Love it but I swapped in a new PX150 motor into it. Still have the original and it runs, just not usable where I live.

If you need any spares feel free to reach out. I may have what you need as I combined two of them into one bike over the last 2 yrs or so.

MORE PICS !
@zachyzach avatar
UTC

Addicted
'64 VBBs, '74 BMW R75/6 airhead, '74 Bultaco Alpina 250, Lambrettas + projects

Addicted
@zachyzach avatar
'64 VBBs, '74 BMW R75/6 airhead, '74 Bultaco Alpina 250, Lambrettas + projects
UTC quote
Looks great. Did the seller say, or know, when it last ran? They say why it came off the road? Was it a Vespa person with some maintenance skilz?

From your one pic, I don't immediately see any front end damage: fork doesn't seem bent backwards or legshield creased on that side. Also, front fender and cowl look well cared for. And, under that cowl, the flywheel and selector box have their covers on... always a good sign Hopefully, the cylinder shroud is there too.

Seems in decent shape, and so for curiosity's sake you could start with the basic steps: check the tank to see if it was drained pre-storage or assess condition of the last fuel that ran through it into the carb and motor; check whether oil in crankcase; check plug and then check for spark and get a feel of the compression.

For peace o mind, why not contemplate a rebuild? Begin the general cleanup of the frame, whole front end and motor... and new cables, wiring harness, rubber bits and tires n tubes?
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
UTC quote
Welcome to the forum.
Quote:
what would be the first couple steps you'd go through to check things out.
1. Does the engine turn?
2. Are any of the parts needed to make it run missing/stuck/broken/rusted?
3. Does the clutch work?
4. Do the brakes work?
5. Is the gas tank reasonably clean?

I'd probably throw a new spark plug in it and see if I could get it to fire up.

It's a 60 year-old scoot so you'll probably want to take it all apart up at some point. It's going to need tires, cables, work on the front suspension etc. but you can do all that downstream. Don't lose any original nuts or bolts, and hang on to any old parts until you're absolutely sure you can find better replacements.

Enjoy! Any way you slice it, these machines are endless fun.
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
At my house but super busy to dig into it until today a little.
I think I have tons of questions. I hope you're OK with that over time.....

1. No speedometer. I can take a picture tomorrow....but it's identical to this picture...External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

So my question is.....what the heck? It didn't come with one? Can I leave it that way?

2. Inside of the gas tank is straight rust. Most other things are in pretty darn good shape....watched videos of vinegar and bolts in tank....should I give it a go?
@markosmarkos avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@markosmarkos avatar
UTC quote
If I am not mistaken, early Sears model Vespas had the speedo as an option. Cost cutting measures to get the scoot to the masses more affordably. Kind of cool if you do have the original color matched plug with the Piaggio logo on it. I have never seen one on a Sears model. Seen many on the later small frame 50cc models. Same option to make it more affordable to 14-year-olds in Europe.

Definitely give the rust removal a go! Look up electrolysis rust removal also. Bolts and bits work best for the flaky bits of rust though.
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
@christopher_55934 avatar
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
markosmarkos wrote:
If I am not mistaken, early Sears model Vespas had the speedo as an option. Cost cutting measures to get the scoot to the masses more affordably. Kind of cool if you do have the original color matched plug with the Piaggio logo on it. I have never seen one on a Sears model. Seen many on the later small frame 50cc models. Same option to make it more affordable to 14-year-olds in Europe.

Definitely give the rust removal a go! Look up electrolysis rust removal also. Bolts and bits work best for the flaky bits of rust though.
You're correct to, to slow to worry about breaking 30 mph speed limit.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0196s ][ Queries: 10 (0.0064s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]