@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
First delivery of the day, Coming into a right turn, the steering felt heavy. 8 lb. of pressure wow!
No foreign objects. Soap test revealed what's in the pic. Tire date 30/17. I bought it 4 years ago and it's lived outside since then. About 16,000 miles on it. I wanted it to last about 2,000 more when I replace the rear. Most of us high milers change 2 rears per 1 front.
I can't complain about the extra life of the rear tire but I like to get both tire's replaced at the same time. I find it very impressive how much longer life I get with an S speed rated tire compared to P.
My last rear lasted only 8,000 miles. It was P rated. this tire is S rated and it has 8,000 miles and has probably 3,000 more. The extra price is worth fewer tire changes.
Now I need to decide what to do about it.
Maybe Ride on?
Maybe Ride on?
@californiacruising avatar
UTC

Addicted
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300

Addicted
@californiacruising avatar
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300
UTC quote
Now I need to decide what to do about it.
[/quote]I'd replace it,
mount and balance cost and inconvenience,
you already got good miles out of it,
we are rolling on 2 wheeled eggshells amongst stressed out crazy people driving 2 ton missiles
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
UTC quote
If that's a Pirelli Angel tire I bet you got one of the injection nubs caught along the edge during install. I had a injection nub get caught during install and no matter what the shop did they couldn't get the bead to hold air. The tire had a nub dent in it, loosing air along that area. I was like "Just use a dab of Shoe Goo." but they refused to rig it. So the shop claimed the tire under warranty and got a replacement tire from Pirelli.

Sometimes Honda rims will get a bit of corrosion along the inside of the rim lip. The Helix is famous for this. I always gently sand the inner lip before installing a new tire. Loosing air is dangerous because it will start slow and eventually get worse. Let us know what solution you use to fix that issue.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
UTC quote
Oh, and I'm dumb. Just realized it was a old tire. Still, my above comment applies to some extent.
OP
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
We had a cold snap here and I checked the tire Monday. Cold snap Wed. and Thur. So I'm thinking 40 in the morning and 80 in the afternoon can make some large expansion/contraction. I'm thinking the bead cracked.
OP
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
CaliforniaCruising wrote:
mount and balance cost and inconvenience,
The cost of the sealant might not be worth the 2,000 miles. I DIY and tires are the most inconvenient job for me.
@vintagescooterdude avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 GT200 2009 Genuine Stella

Hooked
UTC quote
There may indeed have been something wrong with the bead from new. But I noticed you said you keep it outside. I also noticed that you are in Florida, which gets about as much sun as Arizona, where I am. UV light from the sun will destroy tires fairly quickly. I bought my GT200 when it was 10 years old, with 1800 miles on it, and the tires were still like new. From its overall condition, it had obviously been kept inside, out of direct sunlight. I went ahead and wore out those 10 year old tires without any problems. But I have seen 2 year old tires that were starting to crack due to being left outside in the sun. If you have no choice but to keep the scooter outside, you can expect the tires, along with the rest of the scooter, to deteriorate much faster than if you kept it inside. As for that tire, I'd go ahead and replace it. I've had to replace car tires that had plenty of tread left, but had deteriorated due to having been left outside.

Ride-On is some good stuff. But it will not seal a leak around the bead, or on the sidewall. It only works for punctures in the tread area.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
I use Ride On in all my PTW tires.
That said, as above, it won't help your current situation.
Whether it's rubber damage from cracking or "rot", or corrosion of the wheel's bead surface, when you put a new tire on I'd suggest an application of bead sealant to the wheel's bead surface.

Also, Bead Don is good stuff for getting tires on. As Greasy says, lubrication, angle of attack, ... and something else I forget.... Makes the tire go on the rim easier, I'll say that's for sure!

Using both may well be overkill, but that's the way I roll.

Bead sealant:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GKD722/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bead Don lubricant:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0859NX2Y5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
@chipshot avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2014 BV 350

Enthusiast
@chipshot avatar
2014 BV 350
UTC quote
The rubber looks fine, but having to constantly check air pressure/refill w air would drive me nuts.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
While the sidewall looks fine, there looks to be some minor tearing on the tread, which could be caused by improper inflation or suspension issues. Either underdamping or overdamping can cause wear like that, but it's usually underdamping caused by worn shocks.

At 16,000 miles I would definitely replace it. I replace the rear tire on my GT20O around 6,000 miles, and the front around 12,000 miles. I do weigh 240, and carry a lot of stuff around with me. They may not be completely down to the wear bars, but since I tend to ride 200-300 miles from home quite often, at near top speed, I want my tires to be in good condition.
OP
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Also, Bead Don is good stuff for getting tires on.
I'll try this stuff. I've been using rubber conditioner as lube. If I'm going to break the bead, I might as well go all the way and swap it out.
Time to shop for another backup tire, never know when you need a new tire. Hope I can find one. Last time everyone was out. That's why I bought 3 rear and 2 front. Higher price and speed rating but available.
Are U.S. Vespa riders having a shortage of City Grips?
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
breaknwind wrote:
Last Fall I ordered I think 6 tires from SIP due to lack of supply in US.
I don't know about the current situation.
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
breaknwind wrote:
I'm not sure what your tire size is, but I usually check ScooterWest and Revzilla to see if they have my preferred in stock. I order from my local shop if possible, but checking those two gives me a rough idea of availability.
OP
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
Cheshire wrote:
I'm not sure what your tire size is, but I usually check ScooterWest and Revzilla to see if they have my preferred in stock. I order from my local shop if possible, but checking those two gives me a rough idea of availability.
I show Honda's in my avatar. Hence the question for the Vespa owners.
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
UTC quote
A tip if you're looking for a rear City Grip 2, make sure you check tires listed as front/rear. If you just search rear tires you'll likely find that your size is not available. But it is available if you search front/rear. Those tires can be put on the front or the rear.
O.S.
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
breaknwind wrote:
I show Honda's in my avatar. Hence the question for the Vespa owners.
The sizes I used for my GTS are currently showing as in stock, but I don't know if the sizes differ any for your bikes. Between trying to get a specific jacket and my last tire set, I discovered that Revzilla has their own set of warehouses and inventory, different from what my local shop's distributors use.
If my dealership isn't able to get a certain tire size, those two websites are where I look.
OP
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
My fault. I only want to know if Vespa riders are experiencing a shortage, not purchasing lessons.
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
breaknwind wrote:
My fault. I only want to know if Vespa riders are experiencing a shortage, not purchasing lessons.
O...kay. No lessons were trying to be given. :backs away:
UTC

2007 Vespa 250 GTV

2007 Vespa 250 GTV
UTC quote
Thanks for the hint about looking for City Grips. I haven't been able to track any down except on amazon.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
jbnarde wrote:
Thanks for the hint about looking for City Grips. I haven't been able to track any down except on amazon.
"City grip 2" is the new version - loads of them about. Look for 'Front/Rear', not just 'front' or 'rear'.
UTC

2007 Vespa 250 GTV

2007 Vespa 250 GTV
UTC quote
I'm a total newbie (took the safety course and had 1 weekend to ride before the weather) and just reached out to a shop to give my 2007 GTV 250 a "once-over" and replace the tires. I assume the local shop will have a distributor to get the tires. Or is it better to track down the tires and have them mount and install? I checked Revzilla and CycleGear and both were sold out of my size. I'll try looking again in case I clicked something incorrectly.

ADDED COMMENT

Tire Size: 130/70-12 62S Reinforced

So, I went back and selected front/rear and found them. What does "reinforced"mean? I noticed that some were and some weren't?

Also, what does the 62S mean?
Told you I was a newbie... Facepalm emoticon
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
jbnarde wrote:
...just reached out to a shop to give my 2007 GTV 250 a "once-over" and replace the tires. I assume the local shop will have a distributor to get the tires. Or is it better to track down the tires and have them mount and install? I checked Revzilla and CycleGear and both were sold out of my size.
It's great to support your local shop by buying from there. Sure, it's not always as cheap as online, but it helps them to stay around and that's a good thing for you as well.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC

2007 Vespa 250 GTV

2007 Vespa 250 GTV
UTC quote
Thanks...that makes sense...load index and speed index.

Not planning on riding my scooter 180 kph (110 mph) so I should be fine.

Will definitely hit my local shop next week.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
UTC quote
sc00ter wrote:
Oh, and I'm dumb. Just realized it was a old tire. Still, my above comment applies to some extent.
I've never seen any tire with a mold vent "tit"on a bead rim area-no matter what type of tire. They are placed where the rubber needs to vent on sidewalls and tread only.
FWIW, I worked many years in a tire plant and seen a few tires on PTW's as well. Thats not to say that a loose piece of whatever or a dryish bead rim surface doesn't need some tire lube to seal well. Thats the common issue on bead rim areas. I always spray mine with magic juice before mounting.
If all the tires made in 2017 came off the road there would be a momentary tires shortage? My 2018 GTS probably has several...
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
I've never seen any tire with a mold vent "tit"on a bead rim area-no matter what type of tire. They are placed where the rubber needs to vent on sidewalls and tread only.
FWIW, I worked many years in a tire plant and seen a few tires on PTW's as well. Thats not to say that a loose piece of whatever or a dryish bead rim surface doesn't need some tire lube to seal well. Thats the common issue on bead rim areas. I always spray mine with magic juice before mounting.
If all the tires made in 2017 came off the road there would be a momentary tires shortage? My 2018 GTS probably has several...
I've just replaced the 4.80 12 tires on my trailer. They had mold vent 'tits' all around the very outer edge of the bead. These would have bent back on tire installation and possibly created air gaps. I cut them all off flush before mounting the tires.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
I'll give you that one. Those are typically skived off during mfg'ing -never say never huh?
But the normal no seal a bead issue isn't a vent tit, it's needing a softer more resilient seal surface in the area where the beads sort of hard and can be vacant of sealing rubber which is very thin in that area by design.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0401s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0254s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]