OP
UTC

Member
Vespa px 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 16
Location: Devon uk
 
Member
Vespa px 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 16
Location: Devon uk
UTC quote
Ive a vespa px with a malossi mhr 178 , race crank , 24/24 carb , zeus dci and sip 2 with a standard cosa clutch (2014)

Im thinking of putting a vmc 10 spring mollie in , it says it comes with "no drive" ….

If i keep it 21 tooth is that the drive and will it just plug n play (with shaving clutch case)?

Or do i need to buy a 21 tooth drive?

And how would a 22 or 23 tooth drive change the scooter … i like town rides with the odd 1hr out , coffee , 1hr back on twisty B roads
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5136
Location: Oceanside, CA
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5136
Location: Oceanside, CA
UTC quote
Won't work with the 10 spring. Stock Cosa is 8 spring. You will need a larger clutch cover. The oil channel in the old ones contacts the thicker clutch. Sip sells CNC clutch covers for reasonable costs. Easier than pulling out the dremel.

Definitely try and get the largest tooth in that fits. I believe you have to go 2 up, not 1 so 21 would be 23. That was the case with my 20 tooth, went 22. Confirm with your local garage on what will fit your primary gear.
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2160
Location: Racing Capital of the World
 
Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2160
Location: Racing Capital of the World
UTC quote
Your 21T Cosa drive gear will fit into the VMC Molle clutch.

You may have to remove some material on the inside of our clutch cover, but not a hard job at all. really, no need to buy another cover.

I would imagine your gearing needs to be something like 22/65 or even 23/65, depending if you matched the transfers in your case to the cylinder.
OP
UTC

Member
Vespa px 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 16
Location: Devon uk
 
Member
Vespa px 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 16
Location: Devon uk
UTC quote
GickSpeed wrote:
Your 21T Cosa drive gear will fit into the VMC Molle clutch.

You may have to remove some material on the inside of our clutch cover, but not a hard job at all. really, no need to buy another cover.

I would imagine your gearing needs to be something like 22/65 or even 23/65, depending if you matched the transfers in your case to the cylinder.
Ive googled the removal part already and happy to do that … was about to buy the vmc but it said no drive and because im new to any of this wasnt 100% if i was right in my thinking

Thank you , will buy now but stick to 21drive
OP
UTC

Member
Vespa px 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 16
Location: Devon uk
 
Member
Vespa px 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 16
Location: Devon uk
UTC quote
MJRally wrote:
Won't work with the 10 spring. Stock Cosa is 8 spring. You will need a larger clutch cover. The oil channel in the old ones contacts the thicker clutch. Sip sells CNC clutch covers for reasonable costs. Easier than pulling out the dremel.

Definitely try and get the largest tooth in that fits. I believe you have to go 2 up, not 1 so 21 would be 23. That was the case with my 20 tooth, went 22. Confirm with your local garage on what will fit your primary gear.
How do you know it wont work? Have you tried? Or just guessing
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5136
Location: Oceanside, CA
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5136
Location: Oceanside, CA
UTC quote
Px176mhr wrote:
How do you know it wont work? Have you tried? Or just guessing
Haven't tried it. Just guessing off of memory. If Gick says you can, then you can! He knows his shit.
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2160
Location: Racing Capital of the World
 
Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2160
Location: Racing Capital of the World
UTC quote
The clutch drive gear does not come in contact with the springs. What does come into contact with the spring is the basket and the baseplate; those you cannot switch out and are fairly specific. Get the VMC Molle clutch, add your 21T clutch drive gear, and all will be right in the world.

btw: you can use 21, 22, 23, 24T drive gears from all the suppliers for cosa style clutches.
OP
UTC

Member
Vespa px 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 16
Location: Devon uk
 
Member
Vespa px 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 16
Location: Devon uk
UTC quote
MJRally wrote:
Haven't tried it. Just guessing off of memory. If Gick says you can, then you can! He knows his shit.
Dont worry im always wrong when i guess , thats why i ask silly questions 🫣
OP
UTC

Member
Vespa px 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 16
Location: Devon uk
 
Member
Vespa px 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 16
Location: Devon uk
UTC quote
GickSpeed wrote:
The clutch drive gear does not come in contact with the springs. What does come into contact with the spring is the basket and the baseplate; those you cannot switch out and are fairly specific. Get the VMC Molle clutch, add your 21T clutch drive gear, and all will be right in the world.

btw: you can use 21, 22, 23, 24T drive gears from all the suppliers for cosa style clutches.
Perfect , thanks for the reply

Any bits i should change while doing this job? Or just remove inside cover bits and put back together?
UTC

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4593
Location: London UK
 
Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4593
Location: London UK
UTC quote
With an MHR, I wouldn't fit anything smaller than a 22 cog.
OP
UTC

Member
Vespa px 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 16
Location: Devon uk
 
Member
Vespa px 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 16
Location: Devon uk
UTC quote
Jack221 wrote:
With an MHR, I wouldn't fit anything smaller than a 22 cog.
Setting it up so i can try a season on the bsso , that needs to be 21 tooth but will be getting a 22 so i can play around on the road …. My whole set it is for the production class but will be getting a Dellorto VHSH 30mm carb added when i do
UTC

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4593
Location: London UK
 
Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4593
Location: London UK
UTC quote
Px176mhr wrote:
Setting it up so i can try a season on the bsso , that needs to be 21 tooth but will be getting a 22 so i can play around on the road …. My whole set it is for the production class but will be getting a Dellorto VHSH 30mm carb added when i do
BSSO is not 21 tooth on the clutch but on the cluster. You can use whatever clutch and cog you like. If using on the track, it should really be a straight cut primary.
VHSH30 is a complex carb, it's what they use in competition on rotax gokarts.
OP
UTC

Member
Vespa px 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 16
Location: Devon uk
 
Member
Vespa px 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 16
Location: Devon uk
UTC quote
Jack221 wrote:
BSSO is not 21 tooth on the clutch but on the cluster. You can use whatever clutch and cog you like. If using on the track, it should really be a straight cut primary.
VHSH30 is a complex carb, it's what they use in competition on rotax gokarts.
I thought i had to keep original 21 tooth drive , 21/35 21/36 and only 4th gear can be changed?
OP
UTC

Member
Vespa px 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 16
Location: Devon uk
 
Member
Vespa px 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 16
Location: Devon uk
UTC quote
What it says for production class

Can someone explain please
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0138s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0037s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]