Hooked
VBA1T/Px200 iris/VNB6t

Hooked
@colinbelgium avatar
VBA1T/Px200 iris/VNB6t
UTC quote
Hello,

I'm restoring a 89 Spanish px200E
I took the carb apart to clean it (full of gunk…)

I noticed the slider looks worn. Is that past tolerance ? I have no clue wether it is acceptable or not.

I can't tell if that was problematic as the engine does not run (for now), but seems in overall good health (140 psi).

Thanks

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

@garncarz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1964 Allstate Cruisaire, 2022 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, 1972 Suzuki T500J

Molto Verboso
@garncarz avatar
1964 Allstate Cruisaire, 2022 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, 1972 Suzuki T500J
UTC quote
That's pretty worn. My guess is that when you get the engine up and running you will be dealing with an overly lean condition due to air leaking around the slide. Just replace it? You might also want to investigate why it is worn. Something warped/amiss inside the carb?

https://www.scooterworks.com/Throttle-SlideReprod849242424
OP
@colinbelgium avatar
UTC

Hooked
VBA1T/Px200 iris/VNB6t

Hooked
@colinbelgium avatar
VBA1T/Px200 iris/VNB6t
UTC quote
I ordered a new one, I will see when fitting how it feels when inserted into the carb and the carb fitted to the engine. I guess if one of the 2 nuts to fix the carb is at a different torque level than the other one, it could result in warping the base.

Both nuts were quite loose, as the screw that holds the base enclosure under the carb. For sure it is the original carb seeing how dirty and maintenance lack it was !! The rear part under the carb enclosure had an inch thick of oil and dirt… even the screw at the back was wet…

@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E
UTC quote
Great topic/question. I had a similar issue on one of my scooters but it ended up putting me into a lot of trouble several times (it would get stuck open and would rev out of control). The issue with my slider is that it was warped. It was a super easy fix, I sat the slider on a piece of glass and I wrapped it around 1500 sand grid paper. I didn't not even had to "grind/sand) much, it took a few seconds. You must do it on the sides as well.

Do it then try it on the carburetor when is out and check for proper alignment/movement. you should have it fixed in 2 minutes tops!

Is your idle bad?
OP
@colinbelgium avatar
UTC

Hooked
VBA1T/Px200 iris/VNB6t

Hooked
@colinbelgium avatar
VBA1T/Px200 iris/VNB6t
UTC quote
I have no clue about the idling! I'd like to start the engine first

I thought it was the carb that could be warped, not the slider. But that is a good idea to flatten the slider.

After a good clean, the slider is moving freely into the carb until WOT where is a little resistance, this is without the spring, just me balancing the carb body from horizontal to vertical.

I'm currently waiting for a Dell'orto rebuilt kit and a new slider, I'll see if a new slider helps. If it doesn't slide freely then I'll know the carb is warped.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0096s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0015s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]