OP
@tomato avatar
UTC

Member
GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22
Location: Berlin, Germany
 
Member
@tomato avatar
GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22
Location: Berlin, Germany
UTC quote
What The? emoticon

my Tomato started acting bit weird after the winter (is still cold here in Berlin): on idle, while standing in front of traffic light or so, Tomato pushes slowly fwd as if the clutch is engaging for some reason. Of course, one applies the brake and can control this (still...). But this is strange behaviour. This is GTS300 from 2009.

So, please bear in mind the following:

- it has made already 31k KM, so definitely is not in run-in period
- it starts pushing fwd under the driver load, am not speaking of being on centre stand here

can it be that the hinge/joint of the swinging masses of the centrifugal clutch are somehow stuck in "always contact" position? or are the springs which are keeping those mass-pads became too weak or loose?

please advise is this something that is easy for repair (someone with some mechanic skills, but no garage) or something more for the professional help?
⚠️ Last edited by tomato on UTC; edited 1 time
@californiacruising avatar
UTC

Addicted
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 894
Location: SoCal
 
Addicted
@californiacruising avatar
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 894
Location: SoCal
UTC quote
Got enough throttle free play?
OP
@tomato avatar
UTC

Member
GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22
Location: Berlin, Germany
 
Member
@tomato avatar
GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22
Location: Berlin, Germany
UTC quote
CaliforniaCruising wrote:
Got enough throttle free play?
hi, thanks for the first idea

How can I check if the throttle play is sufficient? Can I find somewhere the adjustment procedure?

many thanks in advance
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43934
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43934
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
UTC quote
There should be a small amount of 'slack' when the throttle grip is fully wound off. If there isn't, adjust the cables.

If the idle speed otherwise seems normal, then changing out the contra-spring in the clutch may well be an answer.
@californiacruising avatar
UTC

Addicted
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 894
Location: SoCal
 
Addicted
@californiacruising avatar
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 894
Location: SoCal
UTC quote
tomato wrote:
hi, thanks for the first idea

How can I check if the throttle play is sufficient? Can I find somewhere the adjustment procedure?

many thanks in advance
The tape and micrometer is a bit of overkill IMO but Mitch is good
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9032
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9032
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
UTC quote
I've seen broken clutch shoes do this. The broken one will drag. Usually, this goes from bad to worse pretty quickly though. If it's very cold, there's a chance the high idle circuit is staying engaged longer while the bike warms up. Or, has been mentioned, you are idling off the throttle cable and not the idle circuit.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: UTC
Posts: 14966
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
 
Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: UTC
Posts: 14966
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
UTC quote
if it came on suddenly, I'd suspect the clutch is dragging for some reason.

when was the last time it had a transmission service?

adjusting the cables for free play is definitely a DIY, the transmission work requires special tools (holders for the pulley/clutch and a torque wrench) and while it is something that you can DIY, it might not be in your best interest to try and tackle it at this stage because you're looking to diagnose a problem.

also, working on the ground sucks.
OP
@tomato avatar
UTC

Member
GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22
Location: Berlin, Germany
 
Member
@tomato avatar
GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22
Location: Berlin, Germany
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
if it came on suddenly, I'd suspect the clutch is dragging for some reason.

when was the last time it had a transmission service?

adjusting the cables for free play is definitely a DIY, the transmission work requires special tools (holders for the pulley/clutch and a torque wrench) and while it is something that you can DIY, it might not be in your best interest to try and tackle it at this stage because you're looking to diagnose a problem.

also, working on the ground sucks.
many thanks for this. I do suspect that it has to do something with the clutch pads or at least their springs. you are right, the Tomato was not driven enough during the winter, if once a week maximum.
OP
@tomato avatar
UTC

Member
GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22
Location: Berlin, Germany
 
Member
@tomato avatar
GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22
Location: Berlin, Germany
UTC quote
CaliforniaCruising wrote:
The tape and micrometer is a bit of overkill IMO but Mitch is good
many thanks, will check this first. let's hope it is just the cable needing some adjustment

Mitch is awesome by the way!
OP
@tomato avatar
UTC

Member
GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22
Location: Berlin, Germany
 
Member
@tomato avatar
GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22
Location: Berlin, Germany
UTC quote
oki doki, here is the update. Today I used the brakes cleaner as you proposed. Although a lot of things came out (lot of black dust in brakes cleaner fluid), it did not solve the problem.

Am of the opinion that the only viable and remaining cause of the problems is a broken or weakened spring on one of three pads. The hinge of the pad can not be, otherwise I would be having "braking" problem when engine is off. When pushing switched off GTS, absolutely no problems, meaning that pad does not have enough push towards the clutch bell (missing centrifugal forces).

I have seen the Mitch's video on YouTube (many thanks for this) but since I do not have special tools and would need to buy few new (big) sockets) change of only the clutch unit does not seam as a solution.

So, either invest in full driven pulley (inclusive the clutch unit) and do it myself or pay the service to do the change of the clutch only. both same/similar investment Facepalm emoticon
UTC

Hooked
2007gts250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 229
Location: n. carolina
 
Hooked
2007gts250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 229
Location: n. carolina
UTC quote
tomato wrote:
oki doki, here is the update. Today I used the brakes cleaner as you proposed. Although a lot of things came out (lot of black dust in brakes cleaner fluid), it did not solve the problem.

Am of the opinion that the only viable and remaining cause of the problems is a broken or weakened spring on one of three pads. The hinge of the pad can not be, otherwise I would be having "braking" problem when engine is off. When pushing switched off GTS, absolutely no problems, meaning that pad does not have enough push towards the clutch bell (missing centrifugal forces).

I have seen the Mitch's video on YouTube (many thanks for this) but since I do not have special tools and would need to buy few new (big) sockets) change of only the clutch unit does not seam as a solution.

So, either invest in full driven pulley (inclusive the clutch unit) and do it myself or pay the service to do the change of the clutch only. both same/similar investment Facepalm emoticon
If you believe a Vespa will long be in your life , I would lean towards the do it you self option. You will gain experience and some spare parts.
@preddybaer avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300, CRF1000 & Moto 6.5
Joined: UTC
Posts: 489
Location: Berlin, Germany
 
Hooked
@preddybaer avatar
GTS300, CRF1000 & Moto 6.5
Joined: UTC
Posts: 489
Location: Berlin, Germany
UTC quote
oki doki, news time: after changing the clutch, the problem is not there any more

Clap emoticon
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0120s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0062s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]