@jonny_ray avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa PX125

Enthusiast
@jonny_ray avatar
Vespa PX125
UTC quote
Hi I have a Vespa ET2 50 2003 which I have been restoring for the last year.I have had it resprayed and welded,(see pics), and I have hit a brick wall as I cannot attach the throttle cable. I have tried everything including a new cable I am at my wit's end. If I can finish it with a 12 month MOT it will be worth £1,000-1200 . I have spent a fortune on it with new parts the welding and respray. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated as I do not want to sell it as spares and repairs because I will just be getting my money back if I sell at full price. I have tried a new cable but there is just not enough cable to negotiate the spring. Thanks for looking.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
Et2 cables are Y shaped. 1 from the throttle to just about the front of the motor and then splits to two legs (one to carb, one to oil pump). Is that what you have? Or just a single long cable that can't reach the spring?
OP
@jonny_ray avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa PX125

Enthusiast
@jonny_ray avatar
Vespa PX125
UTC quote
I have the one with the splitter box. Today I took it off the scooter and there is still not enough cable. I have calmed down now and my brother is going to have a look on Sunday. It's just so disheartening as it has been hell of a ride. Initially I bought 2 ET2 50s for £600 in Bitcoin and sold one just before Christmas for £600 in effect getting my money back but this one owes me around £800 . I originally planned to use this as my main ride but I bought a 2016 anniversary edition PX125 with 58 Kms ok the clock because the guy I purchased it from had a seizure 3rd time out on it and had his license revoked he waited until 2021 and then advertised in Scootering monthly and it turned out he only lived a 5 minute drive from me so I bought it changed the front wheel as it was rusty and MOTd it the next day and now I have a £5,000 scooter matching helmet and the bag for the rear rack. The bags alone are going for £500 on eBay so I had bargain of the century. He only sold it to me on the understanding that I won't sell it which never crossed my mind. I will attach a photo of my nephew loving it. Thanks for getting back to me.
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
UTC quote
Ok. Take some photos of the spring in question and the area the cable is going. I'll need those to refresh my memory as my ET2 is off at my storage unit.

If I remember correctly, it may be easier if you attach the cable to the throttle first, then mount it to the carb, then connect the two together at the Y meetup.

Mrs has me cleaning now but when I can I'll dig up my old throttle cable and see if I can get pics.
OP
@jonny_ray avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa PX125

Enthusiast
@jonny_ray avatar
Vespa PX125
UTC quote
I can't take any pics until tomorrow as the scooter is stored in a lock up around 4 miles from my house but I will tomorrow. Thanks very much for your help. I have been around bikes since the age of 14 and I'm 55 now and I've never struggled like this honestly I've tried everything even a new cable but nothing has worked. The other 50 I had was simple to do but this one is pure hell . I actually took it off the scooter earlier and still no joy. Much appreciated for your interest thank you.
OP
@jonny_ray avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa PX125

Enthusiast
@jonny_ray avatar
Vespa PX125
UTC quote
I'll just add that I couldn't make head nor tail of the splitter box I couldn't take the cables apart after I had released it from the handlebar, oil pump and carburettor. I'm flummoxed tbh.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0140s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0032s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]