UTC

Enthusiast
P200E

Enthusiast
@shampoo avatar
P200E
UTC quote
Hello

When taking about the top cover to my P200 to get at the wiring, I believe I managed to pull out the speedo cable at the wheel. At least, the speedo is no longer registering speed. The cable is an LML style cable.

If I pull out the cable by the wheel and turn it by hand, at first I wasn't able to, but with some effort, eventually it turns.. But, it still feels as if it's binding somewhere. That is, it's not silky smooth. I reinserted the cable at the wheel, but still no speed is being recorded. When I insert the cable, there's close to an inch of cable outside of the housing being inserted.

Any ideas what I have done wrong ? Think I need a new speedo cable ? The cable BTW is a year old.

Thanks

J
UTC

Hooked
PX150E

Hooked
PX150E
UTC quote
When you pulled the top headset cover with the speedo cable still attached, you probably pulled the cable outer sheath too far up through the hole in the fork; the cable and sheath is now partly kinked in the fork tube; this would explain the binding. So, now, gently pull the cable and sheath where it exits the fork inside the mud guard, and reinsert in the grommet on the wheel hub. Spin the wheel and see if the speedo needle rotates.
I would do this standing up while spinning the wheel with my shoe and watching the speedo needle. You should be able to see slight needle movements. Or, just go for a ride to check.
If no needle movement and cable is still binding, your inner cable may be broken or damaged and should be replaced.
OP
@shampoo avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
P200E

Enthusiast
@shampoo avatar
P200E
UTC quote
Hi

Thanks for the reply !

If I turn from the bottom near the wheel, I can see the cable turning above..

But I think it's not correctly seated in the speedo. I am going to have another go at it tomorrow. When putting it back together, I also botched one of the ignition cables connecting to the key ignition and it turns on, but I can't turn it off without stalling it. As you can, I'm learning..

Also, what is holding/turning the cable in the hub ? I can't find a diagram that explains how the cable is actually turned when the wheel is spinning.
UTC

Hooked
PX150E

Hooked
PX150E
UTC quote
shampoo wrote:
Hi

Thanks for the reply !

If I turn from the bottom near the wheel, I can see the cable turning above..

But I think it's not correctly seated in the speedo. I am going to have another go at it tomorrow. When putting it back together, I also botched one of the ignition cables connecting to the key ignition and it turns on, but I can't turn it off without stalling it. As you can, I'm learning..

Also, what is holding/turning the cable in the hub ? I can't find a diagram that explains how the cable is actually turned when the wheel is spinning.
I am sure you noticed that the lower end of the cable has a square section which inserts in a plastic worm gear that you can see in the link below:

https://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Speedo-Drives/174048

So, if you don't see the speedo needle move after it is inserted in the rubber grommet in the hub, that worm gear may be damaged. You can access it by removing the screw, metal plate, rubber grommet, and the metal bushing below the grommet. You will likely need a pair of tweezers from your significant other's make up kit to grasp it and pull it out.....
These worm gears mesh with a corresponding gear on the brake drum. On mine, it completely disintegrated inside the hub, once.
UTC

Hooked
PX150E

Hooked
PX150E
UTC quote
Oh, and below is a diagram of the hub view:

https://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/page14

The parts in the hub that interface with the cable are # 36-41

And here is the diagram of the speedo in the headset:

https://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/page15

If you never removed the upper end of the cable by removing the knurled nut holding the cable, you should have not damaged anything, but perhaps pulled the inner cable out of the speedo. In this case, remove the knurled knob and check that the end the cable is, in fact, inserted in the square hole below the speedo. then reinstall the headset cover and look at the lower end of the cable and the worm gear, if necessary. You'll figure it out.
OP
@shampoo avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
P200E

Enthusiast
@shampoo avatar
P200E
UTC quote
I think what happened is the I managed to get the cable bound up, I went for a ride which probably burnt the worm gear..

I've ordered a new cable and worm gear and we'll see..

Thanks so much again for your help and for those diagrams !

J
OP
@shampoo avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
P200E

Enthusiast
@shampoo avatar
P200E
UTC quote
Hello

Thanks to sp949.. Replaced the worm gear, (little tricky getting the rubber grommet out).. Put it all back (turn wheel forwards and back to get the worm gear to drop fully in) and put the cable back and Voila ! Speedo works great.

Thanks for your help.
UTC

Hooked
PX150E

Hooked
PX150E
UTC quote
shampoo wrote:
Hello

Thanks to sp949.. Replaced the worm gear, (little tricky getting the rubber grommet out).. Put it all back (turn wheel forwards and back to get the worm gear to drop fully in) and put the cable back and Voila ! Speedo works great.

Thanks for your help.
I am happy you solved that problem! I have 42,000 miles on mine and had to replace the cable once and the worm gear twice.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0110s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0053s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]