OP
UTC

Banned
2006 LX150

Banned
2006 LX150
UTC quote
I recently watched some of Mitch's videos on YouTube and on the particular scoot he was working on, same as mine, he yanked out and tossed the evap system, saying the bike would run better. While this was intriguing, can anybody elaborate on this?
Will this have any effect on how difficult it is to get fuel in the tank without spilling?
He did the process quite rapidly and I didn't get all the steps. Is this a good thing or a bad thing (and no comments from acolytes of The Church of Climate Change, please).
@marret avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 GTS300 ABS

Hooked
@marret avatar
2016 GTS300 ABS
UTC quote
This subject has many threads that an "evap" search will find. Jess did a lot of work on search functionality. Suggest you become familiar with the search function.

Try this article for newer 300s:
2021 Vespa 300 GTS Super EVAP Removal

Try these links:
DIY? - EVAP Removal LX 150i.e.
LX150 Complete EVAP System Removal
OP
UTC

Banned
2006 LX150

Banned
2006 LX150
UTC quote
Thanks for that. It was much easier asking the hive! Anyway, now I'm on a roll and will use the search. Off to the grodge to fix stuff! Thanks again.
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc

Addicted
@jakem avatar
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc
UTC quote
What is the purpose of the EVAP? Is it emissions related?
@marret avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 GTS300 ABS

Hooked
@marret avatar
2016 GTS300 ABS
UTC quote
JakeM wrote:
What is the purpose of the EVAP? Is it emissions related?
Yes it is emissions related. The evaporative emissions system (EVAP system) is designed to capture hydrocarbon vapors (fuel vapor) and recycle it back into the engine intake to be burnt as part of the normal fuelling process.
UTC

Hooked
BV250, BV500

Hooked
BV250, BV500
UTC quote
It's there to capture evaporation from the fuel tank and reroute it back into the intake system of the engine. And yes, it is emission related.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
There's no need to remove it if you don't have any problems.

However, if you overfill a few times in succession, you can get a situation where the charcoal canister gets clogged with liquid fuel rather than just fumes. This can lead to the tank not venting properly, eventually leading to fuel starvation.

If you suspect this, remove the fuel cap - if there's a gulp of air going into the tank then that's your problem. The correct thing to do is to swap the canister for an unclogged one, and let the clogged one evaporate away over a few days - but this is a right royal pain in the arse to do. If you're removing the canister anyway, just strip the lot out and have done with it - remembering to add some extra line to the fuel vent pipe so it vents up, across and then down the left-hand side. This avoids spillages if you tip over.

The scooter will no longer 'moo' as it cools down, but if you put it away in a garage while hot, it will stink the garage out with gas fumes.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
UTC quote
There's a mechanic I follow on YouTube that focuses on older BMWs like my 2001 R1100RT. He has a number of videos on why you should remove the EVAP charcoal canister. Here is a short one showing that even on low-milage bikes, there are enough charcoal particles that can clog the fuel injectors.

He has other videos showing more details but I'll let you explore those on your own.

Miguel
@vintagescooterdude avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 GT200 2009 Genuine Stella

Hooked
@vintagescooterdude avatar
2006 GT200 2009 Genuine Stella
UTC quote
I have removed the EVAP system completely on every motorcycle I have ever owned. On the Vespa the components were so difficult to get to that I just left them in place, but disconnected and plugged everything. I fill my tank all the way to the top of the filler neck. If you do that, liquid gas is going to get into the EVAP cannister and cause starting/running problems. I was having starting/running problems with a brand new Kawasaki motorcycle once, and the dealer told me to just fill the tank about 3/4 full. That was ridiculous. It was a 750cc engine and a 2.3 gallon tank. I completely removed the EVAP system, along with the PAIR system, and the bike started and ran great with a completely full tank.
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012
UTC quote
Here in Europe, considering the negligible share motorcycles have on fuel vapour, we do not have EVAP systems on motorcycles, so nothing can go wrong with it.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
PeterCC wrote:
Here in Europe, considering the negligible share motorcycles have on fuel vapour, we do not have EVAP systems on motorcycles, so nothing can go wrong with it.
I think I read somewhere that the GTS 2023 in Europe has the evap system (might babe been when they went to E5?). But not sure and too lazy to double check right now 🍺
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring
UTC quote
Xsbank wrote:
I recently watched some of Mitch's videos on YouTube and on the particular scoot he was working on, same as mine, he yanked out and tossed the evap system, saying the bike would run better. While this was intriguing, can anybody elaborate on this?
Will this have any effect on how difficult it is to get fuel in the tank without spilling?
He did the process quite rapidly and I didn't get all the steps. Is this a good thing or a bad thing (and no comments from acolytes of The Church of Climate Change, please).
Here is a video on how to remove it on a Vespa GTS 300
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxGyZ_GzdIQ&t=15s
OP
UTC

Banned
2006 LX150

Banned
2006 LX150
UTC quote
Thanks for all your input guys. I really appreciate your patience and hope I don't annoy you with too many more odd questions!
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
There's no need to remove it if you don't have any problems.
Exactly right. No point in eliminating the EVAP system to address a problem you don't have.
Xsbank wrote:
And to answer the OP's original question - NO. Though there are a number of discussion threads and plenty of advice on this site about how to avoid overfilling.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0110s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0044s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]