@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked
1952 allstate (early), 1958 allstate, 2009 S150, 2001 ET2

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
UTC quote
I can't seem to keep gas from leaking no matter how tight I make the clamp. What could be causing gas to get by? Any suggestions?
The other issue is I tried 3 fuel taps so it most likely is not them but I can't seem to get fuel through the lines to the carb. I tried the lines the way pictured and reversed them to not avail. I did not get the scooter with lines hooked on it so I am guessing I have it correct. What do you guys think? I am a little stumped.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@oscarsass avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@oscarsass avatar
UTC quote
Hiya.

On the petcock, make sure the rubber o ring is in the right place, and doesn't move when you're sliding the petcock into the fuel tank. A bit of two stroke oil will help get it in without damaging it.

The fuel tank has slots cut into the plastic, so you need to push the petcock all the way in (but not so far in that your jubilee clip can't do it's job). Make sure your jubilee clip is sat on top of where the o ring is (I guess you can measure, or guesstimate where it's situated). If you place the jubilee clip too low or too high, it won't seal…

The bottom hose on your petcock is the vacuum line - go for a meatier line so that it doesn't collapse under vaccum (if you haven't already). If you suck on the line, fuel should flow out of the fuel line if the petcock is working. If you can suck air continuously through the line, either the hose has a leak, or the hose it isn't sealed on the petcock properly.

On the carb, vaccum attaches closest to the engine… fuel attaches closest to the airbox. Seems to be on the right way in your pics - but the fuel and vacuum lines run parallel to each other from factory (pics attached - note my fuel line is too short, but since remedied that with hose that doesn't shrink!).

You can use a bit of starting fluid to get the engine running enough to create a vacuum and get fuel through the lines, into the bowl, etc. 👍

That's all I can think of.

Ps make sure the fuel and vacuum passages on the carb are clear. 🤞

Pps your fuel line should have enough slack to allow for full suspension droop, but still be pointing downhill when the bike is in use. Then run your vaccum line parallel to it, cut to fit, and zip tie them together.
OP
@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
UTC quote
I will take a closer look. I did not try putting pressure on the lines first. Starting fluid or getting some gas in there first is a good idea.
OP
@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
UTC quote
OscarSass wrote:
Hiya.

On the petcock, make sure the rubber o ring is in the right place, and doesn't move when you're sliding the petcock into the fuel tank. A bit of two stroke oil will help get it in without damaging it.

The fuel tank has slots cut into the plastic, so you need to push the petcock all the way in (but not so far in that your jubilee clip can't do it's job). Make sure your jubilee clip is sat on top of where the o ring is (I guess you can measure, or guesstimate where it's situated). If you place the jubilee clip too low or too high, it won't seal…

The bottom hose on your petcock is the vacuum line - go for a meatier line so that it doesn't collapse under vaccum (if you haven't already). If you suck on the line, fuel should flow out of the fuel line if the petcock is working. If you can suck air continuously through the line, either the hose has a leak, or the hose it isn't sealed on the petcock properly.

On the carb, vaccum attaches closest to the engine… fuel attaches closest to the airbox. Seems to be on the right way in your pics - but the fuel and vacuum lines run parallel to each other from factory (pics attached - note my fuel line is too short, but since remedied that with hose that doesn't shrink!).

You can use a bit of starting fluid to get the engine running enough to create a vacuum and get fuel through the lines, into the bowl, etc. 👍

That's all I can think of.

Ps make sure the fuel and vacuum passages on the carb are clear. 🤞

Pps your fuel line should have enough slack to allow for full suspension droop, but still be pointing downhill when the bike is in use. Then run your vaccum line parallel to it, cut to fit, and zip tie them together.
Is this the o ring your talking about. The little black one on it already?
@oscarsass avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@oscarsass avatar
UTC quote
Yes that's the one. Guess it seems OK from the pic. Is the hole smooth when you stick your finger in it?

Also, apart from deliberate 'slots' is there any broken/cracked plastic in that area in on the tank?

Also, there's an arrow on the petcock. Is there a tab for it to slot into? First time for me (never noticed that before).
OP
@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
UTC quote
OscarSass wrote:
Yes that's the one. Guess it seems OK from the pic. Is the hole smooth when you stick your finger in it?

Also, apart from deliberate 'slots' is there any broken/cracked plastic in that area in on the tank?

Also, there's an arrow on the petcock. Is there a tab for it to slot into? First time for me (never noticed that before).
Looks like it is in ok shape. I do have other gas tanks. I might try another tank before I go to crazy. I also got the scooter to run. It runs well but started making a screaming noise that sounds like when the main bearings are spinning in the case. It is odd. I just rebuilt it and it started making the noise when it was running out of fuel. It also started to do a runaway rev up and up, I had to use the kill switch. I have so digging and learning to do now. Any suggestions are appreciated.
@oscarsass avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@oscarsass avatar
UTC quote
Slowpoke wrote:
Looks like it is in ok shape. I do have other gas tanks. I might try another tank before I go to crazy. I also got the scooter to run. It runs well but started making a screaming noise that sounds like when the main bearings are spinning in the case. It is odd. I just rebuilt it and it started making the noise when it was running out of fuel. It also started to do a runaway rev up and up, I had to use the kill switch. I have so digging and learning to do now. Any suggestions are appreciated.
That looks a tad different to my tank setup (though my memory of it is distant). Looks like there's an o ring of sorts in there, or is it how they moulded the plastic? Hmm… worth trying a bit of fuel resistant RTV perhaps?

Did you dowse your bearings in 2T oil? I got a dropper/pipette and make sure all the internal bits had oil on them just in case. I hadn't replaced the internals, but with the bike being sat for so long I was worried about a dry start.

Also, I did have a runaway bike to start with - the fuel hose was leaking, and I had the airbox disconnected. So I theorised that air/fuel mixture was being sucked directly into the carb mouth. That scared me a bit!
OP
@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
UTC quote
OscarSass wrote:
That looks a tad different to my tank setup (though my memory of it is distant). Looks like there's an o ring of sorts in there, or is it how they moulded the plastic? Hmm… worth trying a bit of fuel resistant RTV perhaps?

Did you dowse your bearings in 2T oil? I got a dropper/pipette and make sure all the internal bits had oil on them just in case. I hadn't replaced the internals, but with the bike being sat for so long I was worried about a dry start.

Also, I did have a runaway bike to start with - the fuel hose was leaking, and I had the airbox disconnected. So I theorised that air/fuel mixture was being sucked directly into the carb mouth. That scared me a bit!
The top ring is plastic, I do have other tanks I will try, I don't know if rtv sealer is the best way to go when I have other tanks hanging around. My air box is connected. I will keep digging into it to see what is going on. The noise from the engine occured after about 20 mins of run time and seem to occur when the fuel level was almost out. I also did have some oil on the bearings when installed it also is burning rich due to having 2% mix gas in the tank and also the oil injection, as I make sure the oil injection works properly. I keep posted on what is going on with it.
If your curious I have another thread of the build called dirt cheap ET2 can of worms.
@oscarsass avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@oscarsass avatar
UTC quote
Slowpoke wrote:
The top ring is plastic, I do have other tanks I will try, I don't know if rtv sealer is the best way to go when I have other tanks hanging around. My air box is connected. I will keep digging into it to see what is going on. The noise from the engine occured after about 20 mins of run time and seem to occur when the fuel level was almost out. I also did have some oil on the bearings when installed it also is burning rich due to having 2% mix gas in the tank and also the oil injection, as I make sure the oil injection works properly. I keep posted on what is going on with it.
If your curious I have another thread of the build called dirt cheap ET2 can of worms.
The runaway engine scared the cr@p out of me when it happened so I turned the key off (after a brief panic lol). A holy fuel hose can also let air in, so perhaps that's another reason why it happened to me - maybe when your bike was running out of fuel it was sucking some air in too.

I've been following the thread - nice work on getting that flooded engine going again.

I'll see if I can get pics of the ET2 fuel tank tomorrow (though the tank is full, so it'll have to be with the petcock in). 👍

Ps What's the drivetrain like? New variators can squeal/screech a bit if "un-dressed" - ie not scuffed a bit with some grit paper. Just wondering.
OP
@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
UTC quote
OscarSass wrote:
Ps What's the drivetrain like? New variators can squeal/screech a bit if "un-dressed" - ie not scuffed a bit with some grit paper. Just wondering.
All the parts in the transmission are original. I used a brass brush on a Dremel to clean off the rust. The belt and rollers are new.
Once I get the fuel issue solved I can then run it to see if it is a wearing in thing or not. I am also going to remove the transmission cover to better locate the noise. Lots of unknowns in the scoot. But a 70cc really hauls. I am quite impressed.
OP
@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
UTC quote
OscarSass wrote:
The runaway engine scared the cr@p out of me when it happened so I turned the key off (after a brief panic lol). A holy fuel hose can also let air in, so perhaps that's another reason why it happened to me - maybe when your bike was running out of fuel it was sucking some air in too.

I've been following the thread - nice work on getting that flooded engine going again.

I'll see if I can get pics of the ET2 fuel tank tomorrow (though the tank is full, so it'll have to be with the petcock in). 👍

Alright, it looks like it was some bolts I did not tighten for the crankcase cover that made all the racket. I temporarily put the cover on and did not tighten all the bolts. I removed the loose ones and the noise is gone.
I used a gasoline gasket for the petcock and that stopped my fuel leak. It is a good day.
Thanks for all the help.
OP
@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
UTC quote
This stopped the fuel leak for anyone in the future that looks this thread up.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0198s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0080s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]