@jezibel_tires avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@jezibel_tires avatar
ET4
UTC quote
Put in 190 kit and malossi variator and took it for a spin.
Runs good except I heard a grinding noise right from variator and possibly a slight smell.
I know there is a lot to take in from so many new components to the engine but the grinding noise seems a bit concerning.

I struggled when I put the variator in to get it ALL the way down the splines so I could actually fit the kickstart spindle. But I think I got it.

Anyways I opened it up hoping to see a problem and it doesn't seem obvious e. Maybe someone can tell?
Btw the bendix starter is new too
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked
1952 allstate (early), 1958 allstate, 2009 S150, 2001 ET2

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
UTC quote
I had a grinding from the case once and it was a not properly torqued nut on the rear shaft. The clutch bell was creating the noise. In the future to get the belt all the way in there, install the belt on the clutch pack first. Manually twist the clutch "V" apart to get the belt to sit inside the clutch pack. This makes the belt "longer" so you easily get it in the front variator.
My guess is your rear bolt was loose that goes on after the crankcase cover is on.
OP
@jezibel_tires avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@jezibel_tires avatar
ET4
UTC quote
Slowpoke wrote:
I had a grinding from the case once and it was a not properly torqued nut on the rear shaft. The clutch bell was creating the noise. In the future to get the belt all the way in there, install the belt on the clutch pack first. Manually twist the clutch "V" apart to get the belt to sit inside the clutch pack. This makes the belt "longer" so you easily get it in the front variator.
My guess is your rear bolt was loose that goes on after the crankcase cover is on.
This makes sense. I did do the twist thing to get it in there.

Though listening to it carefully, if I had to guess the sound comes from the variator area
@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
UTC quote
Did you install the C clips that go on the variator the correct way? They can be put on upsidedown. If they are new and installed correctly that shouldn't be it issue. The rear nut is important to have at the right torque spec for it puts pressure on the rear bearings. too loose or tight and it will make a grinding noise. It will also make the same noise if you have the cover off and move the clutch bell by hand, you will hear the same grinding noise I am talking about.
@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
UTC quote
Oh, also are you sure it is not the Kickstarter that is hitting? Jiggle the handle and make sure it went back into the resting spot. If it makes the noise while running, put your hand on the Kickstarter and see if it feels like it is hitting.
Keep us posted.
OP
@jezibel_tires avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@jezibel_tires avatar
ET4
UTC quote
Slowpoke wrote:
Did you install the C clips that go on the variator the correct way? They can be put on upsidedown. If they are new and installed correctly that shouldn't be it issue. The rear nut is important to have at the right torque spec for it puts pressure on the rear bearings. too loose or tight and it will make a grinding noise. It will also make the same noise if you have the cover off and move the clutch bell by hand, you will hear the same grinding noise I am talking about.
Ok this is good to look at I will try later. I don't think my variator has c clips.

I put it all back together and could still hear it but it didn't sound as metally. Still kind of a rattle so I am tempted to just ride it out. Anyone know if malossi variator date just inherently loud?
@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
UTC quote
jezibel_tires wrote:
Ok this is good to look at I will try later. I don't think my variator has c clips.

I put it all back together and could still hear it but it didn't sound as metally. Still kind of a rattle so I am tempted to just ride it out. Anyone know if malossi variator date just inherently loud?
By c clips I mean these ones. I kinda used the term funny. Don't want you to look for something else.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
it should make no more noise than a stock vario. something is wrong, take it apart and inspect. see if you can find a problem with components or the install.

"riding it out" to see if the noise will go away is a terrible idea and a great way to wreck parts-- most likely a crank.
OP
@jezibel_tires avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@jezibel_tires avatar
ET4
UTC quote
I took a video of the sound. Didn't feel any abnormal shaking through the kickstart.
I also notice a slight burning smell after it runs.

https://imgur.com/a/501qDQW
OP
@jezibel_tires avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@jezibel_tires avatar
ET4
UTC quote
Another update. I opened it up and started spinning it and it makes a slight jingling noise from the teeth touch the bendix. I am not sure if the bendix is in the right or wrong place. It is a new one.

But again it touches with cover off. But I assume when cover is on, the little hole in the cover supports the bendix.
Ie when I spin the teeth the bendix grinds. When I spin with bendix supported. No grind.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
the fins of the outer pulley are hitting the cover-- see the witness marks on them?

also, it doesn't look like there's enough threads visible on the crank which would indicate that something isn't seated properly. more than likely the vario back plate.
OP
@jezibel_tires avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@jezibel_tires avatar
ET4
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
the fins of the outer pulley are hitting the cover-- see the witness marks on them?

also, it doesn't look like there's enough threads visible on the crank which would indicate that something isn't seated properly. more than likely the vario back plate.
Good eye!
Tbh I struggled getting it as deep as it is now so that makes sense. I guess the shaft has some imperfections that caused issues.

I'll pull it apart tomorrow and see if I can get it deeper

Speaking of that shaft, newb question; if I bought the Polini upgrade kit… would that effectively replace that shaft? I was gonna do it wanyeays eventually but I have more incentive if it solves my issue with the variator.
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS250, '07 LX150, '81 P200E, '78 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS250, '07 LX150, '81 P200E, '78 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos
UTC quote
jezibel_tires wrote:
Good eye!
Tbh I struggled getting it as deep as it is now so that makes sense. I guess the shaft has some imperfections that caused issues.

Speaking of that shaft, newb question; if I bought the Polini upgrade kit… would that effectively replace that shaft? I was gonna do it anyways eventually but I have more incentive if it solves my issue with the variator.
Usually, I try to squeeze the driven sheave open slightly in order to sit the belt lower in the rear and have some play on the crankshaft end so I can seat the pulley fully. Once it's all bolted together, you can rotate the crank around to walk the belt back up the rear pulley.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
jezibel_tires wrote:
Good eye!

Speaking of that shaft, newb question; if I bought the Polini upgrade kit… would that effectively replace that shaft? I was gonna do it wanyeays eventually but I have more incentive if it solves my issue with the variator.
the polini up-gear has no bearing or effect on your issue or the crankshaft.

you need to have the vario back plate 100% all the way "home", installed flat against the back. you can fit it loosely without the roller housing to check if it's hanging up. when installing with the housing and pin it can get a little cocked and hang up and then it won't seat all the way because it's not engaging the splines all the way at the back.

also, make sure that the belt is not pinched. that will set everything further out and also won't torque up properly.
OP
@jezibel_tires avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@jezibel_tires avatar
ET4
UTC quote
Ok I'm sorry for bombardment of pictures. I have taken it apart and put back together a bunch of times. For the life of me I can't see where it could be hung up. I'm starting to think it was always like this.

I compared the old variator.they are the same size. As expected

When I put in old variator I get same results. Which as pic shows the kisstart spindle won't sit flush until I torque the nut on.

The back of the cause or whatever has a brass ring pertruding. Is this normal or could this be my culprit?

The variator backplate doesn't seem to be hung up

There is some evidence of scorching on the housing.
Old vs new
Old vs new
Best case scenario on 'clearance'
Best case scenario on 'clearance'
Brass ring
Brass ring
Variator backplate
Variator backplate
Case scorching
Case scorching
@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
UTC quote
Your variator should push in more. It should be completely on the spline. If I remember right.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
If you look closely, the bushing on the Malossi variator might be a little longer than the one on the ET4 Variator. When Piaggio changed over to the LX, they changed the outer variator plate, and increased the length of the bushing. So you likely need the new style Outer Variator Pulley.

https://scooterpartsco.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3637_3640_3736&products_id=522
OP
@jezibel_tires avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@jezibel_tires avatar
ET4
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
If you look closely, the bushing on the Malossi variator might be a little longer than the one on the ET4 Variator. When Piaggio changed over to the LX, they changed the outer variator plate, and increased the length of the bushing. So you likely need the new style Outer Variator Pulley.

https://scooterpartsco.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3637_3640_3736&products_id=522
I checked the bushings. New one is fraction of mm longer. I honestly attribute that to wear.

Sucks cause I'm in Canada so I won't be able to order that new pulley in the states til next winter 😔

I don't suppose there is any assurance that the new pulley has lower clearance
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
You attribute the difference in length of the two bushings to wear? If the bushing had worn, the variator would have developed play, and the nut would have likely backed off. Those things don't wear out.

Shipping a part like this to Canada is about $12 or so. That's only a couple more than it would cost to ship to the US.
@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
UTC quote
jezibel_tires wrote:
I checked the bushings. New one is fraction of mm longer. I honestly attribute that to wear.

Sucks cause I'm in Canada so I won't be able to order that new pulley in the states til next winter 😔

I don't suppose there is any assurance that the new pulley has lower clearance
What pully you talking about? A stock one?
I have a ridiculous amount of parts I could mail you one if it is a stock part.
OP
@jezibel_tires avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@jezibel_tires avatar
ET4
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
You attribute the difference in length of the two bushings to wear? If the bushing had worn, the variator would have developed play, and the nut would have likely backed off. Those things don't wear out.

Shipping a part like this to Canada is about $12 or so. That's only a couple more than it would cost to ship to the US.
I guess when I dismiss it to wear I'm
Just emphasizing the difference is negligent. Like 0.3 mm

That said when I put the old one on it (visually) has the same issue of not seating completely. I guess in fairness I haven't put the old one on and ran it for the same noise.
OP
@jezibel_tires avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@jezibel_tires avatar
ET4
UTC quote
Slowpoke wrote:
What pully you talking about? A stock one?
I have a ridiculous amount of parts I could mail you one if it is a stock part.
Wow that would be great. I can pm you. But basically to Motovistas point a stock one but NOT the original for the ET4. Has to be the slightly newer style. Don't know if that helps
@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
UTC quote
jezibel_tires wrote:
Wow that would be great. I can pm you. But basically to Motovistas point a stock one but NOT the original for the ET4. Has to be the slightly newer style. Don't know if that helps
I have 11 spare engines and all the stuff to go with it. ET4 to LX all 2 valve engines.
Why can't you get one till next winter? This is. Puzzling to me.
And I assume you would need a LX part. I have them.
OP
@jezibel_tires avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@jezibel_tires avatar
ET4
UTC quote
Slowpoke wrote:
I have 11 spare engines and all the stuff to go with it. ET4 to LX all 2 valve engines.
Why can't you get one till next winter? This is. Puzzling to me.
And I assume you would need a LX part. I have them.
Haha ok in fairness I can be dramatic. All it is that in Canada it can be a bit more expensive. I spend some time with my parents in the us during the winter and that's usually when I stock up on parts.

I'll pm you regarding that.
But on that note if you happen to have the et4 original putter pulley and the newer kind can you see if there is a big difference to them as it pertains to my issue?
OP
@jezibel_tires avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@jezibel_tires avatar
ET4
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:

I guess one other thing is to greasys point there isn't any visible threads. I'm just wondering if a new pulley would fix it.
@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
UTC quote
jezibel_tires wrote:
I guess one other thing is to greasys point there isn't any visible threads. I'm just wondering if a new pulley would fix it.
I could take a depth measurement of both and that would tell you if it would make a difference. My only reservation is shipping will be a alot if you can source locally you would be better off.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Slowpoke wrote:
My only reservation is shipping will be a alot if you can source locally you would be better off.
$12 to ship to Canada doesn't seem like a lot. The LX style clutch bell is also different. If you include one of those, it might be closer to $20 to ship to Canada.
@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
$12 to ship to Canada doesn't seem like a lot. The LX style clutch bell is also different. If you include one of those, it might be closer to $20 to ship to Canada.
Ah, I don't ship often I use USPS and it can be surprisingly expensive.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Slowpoke wrote:
Ah, I don't ship often I use USPS and it can be surprisingly expensive.
Those are USPS rates I'm quoting. I think it's great of you to volunteer to send someone on the other side of Canada these parts. Hopefully you can help the OP fix the noise problem.
OP
@jezibel_tires avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@jezibel_tires avatar
ET4
UTC quote
Well I pm'd slowpoke. And will definitely compensate!

That said let me know if there is a difference between old et4 (mine) and new lx pulley.

The more I look at mine the more tempted I am tk just grind down the fins
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:

Yes but
jezibel_tires wrote:
When I put in old variator I get same results.
@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
UTC quote
jezibel_tires wrote:
Well I pm'd slowpoke. And will definitely compensate!

That said let me know if there is a difference between old et4 (mine) and new lx pulley.

The more I look at mine the more tempted I am tk just grind down the fins
Old variator? What do you mean? The pics show a stock et4 variator. Did you get a performance one? That should replace both stock halves.
OP
@jezibel_tires avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@jezibel_tires avatar
ET4
UTC quote
Slowpoke wrote:
Old variator? What do you mean? The pics show a stock et4 variator. Did you get a performance one? That should replace both stock halves.
I bought the malossi multivar variator. It didn't come with the outter variator pulley linked above
@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
UTC quote
Ah. The. LX is different than the ET. I will try to get to it tonight. I will post a pic when I got the part. I might have one in a bin I want to check before I rip it off an engine.
Any other parts you could use? If it fits it ships.
@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
UTC quote
Pics
Can't PM pics.
@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
UTC quote
Here are them cleaned up, in the mail tomorrow.
UTC

Hooked
2007gts250ie

Hooked
2007gts250ie
UTC quote
Slowpoke wrote:
Here are them cleaned up, in the mail tomorrow.
May your kindness be contagious. Helping others find the joy I feel riding 2 wheelers is an honor and a pleasure.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0160s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0091s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]