2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300
UTC quote
Never fails, if you're looking for an overpriced scooter, auto or motorcycle
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Yep, but I guess the owner can ask for any price that comes to mind. I'm surprised the word "rare" doesn't appear in the add. That's one that makes the owner feel like they have something extra special enough to ask sky high prices, even though you can find two more for sale within 20 miles. Razz emoticon
@bearcat avatar
UTC

Hooked
Primavera 150, Honda NHX110

Hooked
@bearcat avatar
Primavera 150, Honda NHX110
UTC quote
For sure! My favorite ads (not!) are the ones that literally cuss out any potential buyers. Just the personality you want to deal with.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
There are a few apparently museum quality Vespa LX and ET models from the early decade on Facebook Marketplace in Dallas right now. Until reading these ads, most people don't realize those particular models are worth more than when they were new, at least in Dallas.
"No low ballers" is another one to watch for.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
Spelling "granturismo" with a z is worth $1K right off the bat.
@bluside avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie

Addicted
@bluside avatar
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie
UTC quote
At least he knows what he has.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
fledermaus wrote:
Spelling "granturismo" with a z is worth $1K right off the bat.
At least it wasn't "granturissimo". Laughing emoticon
@dibiasio avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX150

Addicted
@dibiasio avatar
2006 LX150
UTC quote
Well, that's from way back in the W. Bush administration, so VINTAGE.
@mopmop avatar
UTC

Hooked
2017 GTS300 'Beauty'

Hooked
@mopmop avatar
2017 GTS300 'Beauty'
UTC quote
I wonder which 'Leather Bag' is not included. Or does he mean the saddle?
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
Ask him where the missing 2cc went.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Ask him where the missing 2cc went.
With a scoot of that age there is probably plenty of carbon build-up on the cylinder head, I guess 2cc worth. But not sure how he measured it ... Hmm 🤔
@stevemster avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@stevemster avatar
UTC quote
I don't understand the need to mock someone like this and it just seems needlessly hateful. Trolling the web and policing prices is a waste of time in my opinion.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
SteveMster wrote:
I don't understand the need to mock someone like this and it just seems needlessly hateful. Trolling the web and policing prices is a waste of time in my opinion.
Then don't waste your time.
@stevemster avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@stevemster avatar
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Then don't waste your time.
Or yours......
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
SteveMster wrote:
Or yours......
I'm not wasting my time.
You are wasting yours. Razz emoticon
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
bluside wrote:
At least he knows what he has.
Nah, he thinks he has a Grand Turizmo
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
SteveMster wrote:
Dude, I did not knock the guy at all. I said he can ask any price he wants for it. I look thru sale adds on CL and FB to keep an eye out for a scoot I am, or someone I know, is looking for. After a while, you can tell which ones will sell quick and which ones will sit for months without selling. Call it a semi-hobby. Also, he is not alone - there are many that ask way more than the worth of the machine. But if they want to put up with months of messages, low ball offers and general silliness, so be it. For me, I put things up for sale to move in a weeks time maximum and will sell to the first serious, respectful buyer. Life is too short to argue over every last dollar.
UTC

Banned
2006 LX150

Banned
2006 LX150
UTC quote
It doesn't take much for the latent hostility to rear its head here. The irony of an advertiser being berated for exactly the behaviour and attitude displayed by many of the members of this site.
This place is doomed if its members insist on being unwelcoming, unaccommodating and exclusive. A collection of navel-gazing "experts" who have forgotten the reasons they got into scootering in the first place.
I have been here for two weeks, excited with my new-to-me scoot and I have been berated for not using the search, told my questions were so old hat and that a suggestion I made was mis-quoted and called "moronic…" So much for my enthusiasm for a new activity.
All I can conclude is that you enjoy your clique and wish no new members. So be it.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
I'm sorry you feel that way, and maybe it started out like that. I don't know as I tend to just answer topics that I know something about. For the most part, if you stick around, you will find that MV is a wonderful forum with many very willing to help out when ever possible. It's not perfect - you will have experts, you will have guessers - but most with your best interests in mind.
⚠️ Last edited by Tierney on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Banned
2006 LX150

Banned
2006 LX150
UTC quote
Thank you Tierney, that's what I was hoping for.
@tidwillow avatar
UTC

Hooked
GILERA FUOCO II & GTS 300 SUPER

Hooked
@tidwillow avatar
GILERA FUOCO II & GTS 300 SUPER
OP
@californiacruising avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@californiacruising avatar
UTC quote
SteveMster wrote:
I take the price of used scooters seriously, like watching an ETF 😳
He can ask whatever he wants and I can point out the error of his ways. And what if a newbie is looking for a good scooter and happens to see my "troll" here?
Have you not been to the bodge thread?
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
^^ In this add, at least the guy knows his price is high because he is emotionally attached to it.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Indeed. The bodge thread is not about bashing, but education.
@dibiasio avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX150

Addicted
@dibiasio avatar
2006 LX150
UTC quote
There's a regular Craigslist poster in LA who lists his price and then in caps NOT A PENNY LESS. I'm not into playing games, but I like the option to dicker if I wanna. I would never do any kind of business with Captain Capslock.

That's right, I said dicker.
UTC

Banned
2006 LX150

Banned
2006 LX150
UTC quote
I sold a Porsche two years after I bought it and I asked for way over market because I wasn't sure I wanted to sell and I got it. There was only one buyer and he wanted her even at my price. The only vehicle I have ever sold for a "profit" even including my free labour. The market is what it is. I get that some just get fed up with the scams and the BS, the lookie-loos, tire-kickers and time-wasters. If selling stuff is really "not you," then price it lower or consign it.
@bukwheatus avatar
UTC

Liberty 150S Typhoon 2T (gone) ET2 (multiple, gone) Sprint 150S (gone) 60's smallframe (gone) Bravo (64mph, gone), Ciao (gone)

@bukwheatus avatar
Liberty 150S Typhoon 2T (gone) ET2 (multiple, gone) Sprint 150S (gone) 60's smallframe (gone) Bravo (64mph, gone), Ciao (gone)
UTC quote
Geez... That's 2 grand in my neck of the woods. People out west and the NE seem to like paying out the nose for stuff. It's tempting to load up my trailer with $800 Vespas and take a road trip
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
Xsbank wrote:
It doesn't take much for the latent hostility to rear its head here. The irony of an advertiser being berated for exactly the behaviour and attitude displayed by many of the members of this site.
This place is doomed if its members insist on being unwelcoming, unaccommodating and exclusive. A collection of navel-gazing "experts" who have forgotten the reasons they got into scootering in the first place.
I have been here for two weeks, excited with my new-to-me scoot and I have been berated for not using the search, told my questions were so old hat and that a suggestion I made was mis-quoted and called "moronic…" So much for my enthusiasm for a new activity.
All I can conclude is that you enjoy your clique and wish no new members. So be it.
This is exactly the reputation Vespa owners have offline too.
Why expect any different online? lol
@vintagescooterdude avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 GT200 2009 Genuine Stella

Hooked
@vintagescooterdude avatar
2006 GT200 2009 Genuine Stella
UTC quote
That is indeed a very nice scooter. I have one exactly like it. Mine came with a brand new in the box color matched Vespa top box, had 1800 miles on it, and I got it for $2200. I know what I have too. That's why I'm not selling it. While it's certainly not worth what they're asking in money, it could very well provide a fortune in both miles and enjoyment. I expect to ride mine for the rest of my life. If they were asking $2500, and if it is in excellent condition, it would be a killer deal. At 3624 miles, it's still over 8000 miles away from its first valve adjustment. It doesn't have EFI, ABS, ASR, and its immobilizer system can be removed. All of those things are worth something to some, including myself.

As for "no low ballers" thing, I would probably include that in any ad, assuming I had priced it fairly. There are a ton of idiots out there that think they can get something for nothing. I paid $4200 for my 2006 Sportster 1200L in 2016, in near new condition, with under 7K miles on it. It's probably worth more now. I expect prices on nice used Sportsters to go way up since H-D decided to quit making them, and so many of them have been butchered.

I notice you didn't mention dealers. In my area, a new Vespa GTS300 HPE would go for over $11000 OTD. I certainly wouldn't pay that, but then I have no interest in a new Vespa. But there are apparently enough buyers out there that are interested in one and have no problem paying that much.

While new vehicle prices should be set by the manufacturer, and dealers should have no choice but to sell them for that or less, you can ask anything you want for a used vehicle. If it doesn't sell, either lower the price or keep it.
@tszarathusra avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa C38 - S50 4T Super.

Hooked
@tszarathusra avatar
Vespa C38 - S50 4T Super.
UTC quote
Xsbank wrote:
I don't come here that often, but I have found the members here to be welcoming, accommodating, knowledgeable, nice and respectful.
You joined 11 days ago. I did a search. In the last 2 weeks "moronic" has been used twice (now 3 times). Once by you. Once to describe the act of running scooter without variator cover. Us old hats know that running without variator cover is not smart. My mother used to say that it's a friend who warns you when you're about to do something that is not smart. I, for one, welcome suggestions in that direction. I don't have to follow them but they often save me lot of work and money.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0267s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0130s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]