@mod_eric_the_skin avatar
UTC

Hooked
'59 VBA, '05 Stella 177, '80 P125X

Hooked
UTC quote
Hi All, my wife and I are travelling to England on 4 October, and I'm seeking some advice for the second half of our stay. We plan to arrive Heathrow, hire a car, and drive to Bath for a day & night and then head south to the coast, Brighton and then up the coast to Dover and Canturbury. The last half of the stay will be in London proper, sans auto, and we are hung up on where to stay. We are history buffs, but not typical tourist types. I've been to 27 countries (England not one of them) and like to blend wherever I am. We love people watching and good dining, but not so into "nightlife" as we once were, we're both teetotalers now. Thinking minimal reliance on Uber, good walking to cool places, easy tube travel. Wife likes Covent Garden for being petty central, is Kensington or Hyde Park too out of the way? Last three days we are spending in Oxfordshire with an old Mod friend. Flights booked, just want to make the best decision on the lodging, because we can save a bundle by reserving and paying this early. Pro tips from locals or recent travelers appreciated!
@der_blechfahrer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300 Super Sport MY23 & Yamaha Neo's electric

Molto Verboso
@der_blechfahrer avatar
ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300 Super Sport MY23 & Yamaha Neo's electric
UTC quote
It's been a fair few years. I mostly stayed in Bayswater, which is just north of Hyde Park. It was an easy walk to Trafalgar and Covent Garden. At least when I was younger.
UTC

Banned
2006 LX150

Banned
2006 LX150
UTC quote
I stay with family in Hampstead but you will find London surprisingly walkable. I can't answer your accommodation question but get yourselves Oyster cards for the tube and busses, plan to only travel outside of rush hour and make sure you get a senior card if you are one. Don't try and take a car into London, it is a huge hassle and if you venture into the wrong sector, expensive. Plan to ditch the car and take the Heathrow Express to Waterloo. And for your health, look both ways before you step off the curb! Hard habit to break.
London is very spendy…
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
It's Canterbury, not Canturbury.

Don't waste your time with Dover, It's a shithole.

Folkstone is marginally better.
@ironfoot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS 250 - sold

Molto Verboso
@ironfoot avatar
'07 GTS 250 - sold
UTC quote
Bath has plenty for history buffs. A good destination for a day or two. I enjoyed the Roman Baths, it's kinda pricey but there's more inside the building than it first appears, as the old bath works descend below the current street level. I also enjoyed the modern Thermae Spa, it gets busy but it can be quieter if you wait till evening and visit a couple of hours before closing. There's an open air heated pool on the top floor, and you can look out over the city from there. The Royal Crescent is impressive and worth the walk up the hill. These are all big attractions though, you've probably already got them in your sights.

Stonehenge is a big feature on the route west to Bath, but consider Avebury too: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avebury

And London? No idea. Somewhere down in the South East? I have only heard tell of it.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
It's Canterbury, not Canturbury.

Don't waste your time with Dover, It's a shithole.

Folkstone is marginally better.
LOL thank you Bill! Just want to see some chalky cliffs!
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Ironfoot wrote:
Bath has plenty for history buffs. A good destination for a day or two. I enjoyed the Roman Baths, it's kinda pricey but there's more inside the building than it first appears, as the old bath works descend below the current street level. I also enjoyed the modern Thermae Spa, it gets busy but it can be quieter if you wait till evening and visit a couple of hours before closing. There's an open air heated pool on the top floor, and you can look out over the city from there. The Royal Crescent is impressive and worth the walk up the hill. These are all big attractions though, you've probably already got them in your sights.

Stonehenge is a big feature on the route west to Bath, but consider Avebury too: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avebury
Thanks Ironfoot, I'm really interested in Bath for a couple days, thanks for the other recommendations too.
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
UTC quote
How about a trip to Ace cafe? Here is what is on in October:

https://london.acecafe.com/meets/?cm=10&cy=2023&ct=

Or Bike Shed cafe:

https://bikeshedmoto.co.uk/pages/london
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
johnymoore wrote:
How about a trip to Ace cafe? Here is what is on in October:

https://london.acecafe.com/meets/?cm=10&cy=2023&ct=

Or Bike Shed cafe:

https://bikeshedmoto.co.uk/pages/london
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"-SOLD
UTC quote
My wife and I stayed at a Premier Inn in Victoria/Eccleston Square on our trip. 3 star businessman's hotel (Hampton Inn equivalent in our minds). Decent restaurant with a friendly staff. Walking distance to Victoria Station and pubs. Grocery stores, chippies, and local color in a quiet neighborhood. Kids walking to school every morning, birds and trees, residential homes. Very quiet.
@rallygeek avatar
UTC

Hooked
Polaris Grey Rally 200, Blue Marine Primavera ET3, Coral Red 50 Special

Hooked
@rallygeek avatar
Polaris Grey Rally 200, Blue Marine Primavera ET3, Coral Red 50 Special
UTC quote
London has plenty to see and while drinking helps its not a requirement of living here. The tube (underground) has lots of coverage and is frequent at about every 3 minutes so getting around is easy. There are lots of accommodation options, the premier inn chain is a good call. Also worth considering citizenM and Motel One near Tower of London.
@fishfingers avatar
UTC

Hooked
Stella, GTS 300, Vespa p200e

Hooked
@fishfingers avatar
Stella, GTS 300, Vespa p200e
UTC quote
The underground will get you everywhere in London. You can get a day pass.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Well if it's chalky cliffs you want and you want to get close, either park at Folkstone and head for the Martello Tower on the hill then walk down to the beach and keep going.

Either that or drive along the coastal road towards Dover then double back to Samphire Hoe which is accessible through a tunnel. It's a nature reserve built on the spoils of the Channel Tunnel.

Dover Castle is worth visiting if you like your WW2 History but avoid the town but if you are going to visit Folkstone don't stay over at the Hotel Burstin. It's probably the 2nd worst Hotel in the UK.

The Ace Cafe is very over rated but BikeShedMoto is really worth a visit.
@pepy27 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 White Racing Sixties, 1959 Vespa 150 VBA, 1959 Lambretta Series 2 LI125, 1999 PX200E, 2012 BMW R1200R

Ossessionato
@pepy27 avatar
2021 White Racing Sixties, 1959 Vespa 150 VBA, 1959 Lambretta Series 2 LI125, 1999 PX200E, 2012 BMW R1200R
UTC quote
Check out the Skygarden. You have to book in advance but its free and if you are there on a weekday more availability.

https://skygarden.london/
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
Well if it's chalky cliffs you want and you want to get close, either park at Folkstone and head for the Martello Tower on the hill then walk down to the beach and keep going.

Either that or drive along the coastal road towards Dover then double back to Samphire Hoe which is accessible through a tunnel. It's a nature reserve built on the spoils of the Channel Tunnel.

Dover Castle is worth visiting if you like your WW2 History but avoid the town but if you are going to visit Folkstone don't stay over at the Hotel Burstin. It's probably the 2nd worst Hotel in the UK.

The Ace Cafe is very over rated but BikeShedMoto is really worth a visit.
Well I happen to like scooters so it not overrated if you want to look at lots of scooters!
@fleece avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport

Ossessionato
@fleece avatar
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport
UTC quote
Not a local (150 miles away), but I do like days out in London

I would probably lodge a bit further out from the centre, somewhere like Hampstead Heath (you might even bump into Ricky Gervais!) as it's a nice area and easy to get into the centre & Regent's park, Camden Town etc only a mile or so to walk..

we tend to use the Premier Inns (decent standard, reasonable price)

https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/greater-london/london/london-hampstead.html

edited to remove eleven lines of tracking dross - jimc
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc

Addicted
@jakem avatar
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc
UTC quote
Just up front Brighton is a place called Seven sisters which has a lovely scenery. You can go for a small walk and end up at the chalk cliff faces.

Also, have a look on the National Trust website. These are important historic properties that have been donated to a charity and so are open to the public. There's hundreds across the UK, each with a very unique history. A good example to see would be Chartwell House (where Winston Churchill lived), but there's lots up and down the country: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/visit
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Der Blechfahrer wrote:
It's been a fair few years. I mostly stayed in Bayswater, which is just north of Hyde Park. It was an easy walk to Trafalgar and Covent Garden. At least when I was younger.
I still like staying in the Bayswater Road area North of Hyde Park. Numerous lodgings and restaurents available, and several underground stations. Easy to get all over London and even to somewhat further destinations like Kew Gardens by tube.
@coddy avatar
UTC

Addicted
2021 GTS 300 Supersport, Triumph Tiger 800

Addicted
@coddy avatar
2021 GTS 300 Supersport, Triumph Tiger 800
UTC quote
Bath and Brighton are my two favourite UK city's so good call on planning to visit them both.

Where in Oxfordshire will you be staying?
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Thanks for all of the suggestions and tips!
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Coddy wrote:
Bath and Brighton are my two favourite UK city's so good call on planning to visit them both.

Where in Oxfordshire will you be staying?
Our friend Roy lives in Milton.
@vespergeezer avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS300, Cosa LX200

Addicted
@vespergeezer avatar
GTS300, Cosa LX200
UTC quote
Certainly go to Bath. Consider taking the train from London to Bath though. Romans didn't lay out a city that is motor-car friendly! I'd look to visiting Oxford too.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0199s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0085s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]