OP
@igor76 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa GTS 300 HPE,HD Softail Heritage Classic (sold),HD Softail Slim (sold),Yamaha X MAX 300 (sold), PX 125 (sold), GTS 125 (sold), Yamaha MT-07(sold)

Enthusiast
@igor76 avatar
Vespa GTS 300 HPE,HD Softail Heritage Classic (sold),HD Softail Slim (sold),Yamaha X MAX 300 (sold), PX 125 (sold), GTS 125 (sold), Yamaha MT-07(sold)
UTC quote
hello everybody. long time no see. i was back and forth between MC and Vespas last years, ended with Vespa GTS 300 HP since 02/2021 but always debating to myself that i still want and need to buy a MC like HD or Triumph. Sometimes those debates drive me crazy and i have decided to talk to chatGPT about that (yes, can not afford a psychotherapeut). After my dialogue with chatGPT on this subject i have asked it to draw 10 commandments for me, to fix the issue, so to say. And that is what i have got (might be helpful for some lost souls, like mine is):

Here are 10 commandments for keeping your Vespa GTS and not looking for a motorcycle:

1. Thou shall appreciate the practicality and convenience of thy Vespa GTS for daily commuting.

2. Thou shall not be swayed by the allure of motorcycles if it does not align with thy lifestyle and needs.

3. Thou shall value the lower maintenance costs of thy Vespa GTS compared to a motorcycle.

4. Thou shall embrace the unique aesthetic and character of thy Vespa GTS.

5. Thou shall recognize that power is not everything, and the 300cc engine of thy Vespa GTS is more than sufficient for short rides and city traffic.

6. Thou shall not succumb to societal pressure or expectations of owning a motorcycle.

7. Thou shall prioritize family time and financial stability over acquiring a motorcycle.

8. Thou shall appreciate the ease of parking and manoeuvrability of thy Vespa GTS in tight city spaces.

9. Thou shall recognize that thy Vespa GTS can also provide joy and satisfaction in riding, despite not being a "proper" motorcycle.

10. Thou shall be content with thy decision to stick with thy Vespa GTS and enjoy the unique benefits and experiences it provides.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
Sounds reasonable to me.

But if you would be happier with a Triumph or Harley, go ahead and get it.

Don't let ChatGTP rule your life.

Bill
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Scooter and motorcycles give a different riding experience. For me, shifting connects me more with the bike and having a tank to grip with my thighs keeps me in one with the bike. Scoots are more about having less the think about as far a clutching and figuring out which gear is appropriate at the given moment. It's more about looking around a little more and enjoying a simpler ride. Both are good and I enjoy both. You have a Vespa 300 which is the cruiser of the bunch, much like the Harleys you have owned. If you do get a bike, you may want to get something that is more of a road bike that can carve the curves. Unless you want to stay with cruisers, of course. All of them will get you from point A to point B, it just depends on the ride you want.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Maybe an 11th is in order, at least for me: safety. Much as I like motos, I feel the step-through design of the Vespa has largely saved my bacon (and legs) in two near-broadside crashes, where the bike bore the brunt of the initial impact.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
Maybe an 11th is in order, at least for me: safety. Much as I like motos, I feel the step-through design of the Vespa has largely saved my bacon (and legs) in two near-broadside crashes, where the bike bore the brunt of the initial impact.
I never thought about it that way. I did, however, have to lift my right leg out of the way when I was hit on the right many years ago on a Sportster. Hard hit, bent the frame and cracked the engine case. I was lucky and rolled over the hood like the guy in the vid. I was plenty sore for a while.
@old_warrior avatar
UTC

2014 LXV (Soon), 2017 Indian Springfield

@old_warrior avatar
2014 LXV (Soon), 2017 Indian Springfield
UTC quote
Why choose? Have both for different types of riding. Love riding my Vespa the four miles to work but wouldn't think about it for the 300 mile round trip to see the kids.
@oscarsass avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@oscarsass avatar
UTC quote
11. Thou shall save the extra £££ to purchase thy Vespa GTS and observe 1-10 above.

(That's where I fell down 😂).
@californiacruising avatar
UTC

Addicted
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300

Addicted
@californiacruising avatar
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300
UTC quote
GTS 300 100% best city motorbike.

I have a self imposed 2 motorbike limit and I'm at my max with 2 Vespas a Sprint and a GTS, my kid is a very good rider but not ready for the GTS yet.

It's not the price of a used 3rd motorbike that holds me back,
when I have 3 bikes one doesn't get ridden enough to justify the upkeep, insurance and registration.
My exception for the 3rd motorbike is when a good deal pops up and
I can ride it around for a year or two for cheap.
😍
😍
@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS300 HPE/2022 Triumph Rocket 3R

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
UTC quote
I buy what I want (within financial limits, of course) and never asking the opinions of others on what that might, or should be.

My choices often span the spectrum of desirable two-wheel vehicles, obviously.
Variety
Variety
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
And a Vespa can easily carry a case of beer between your feet. Try that on a motorcycle
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
JBacklund wrote:
I buy what I want (within financial limits, of course) and never asking the opinions of others on what that might, or should be.

My choices often span the spectrum of desirable two-wheel vehicles, obviously.
I've been waiting for someone to show up with a Rocket 3...
SteelBytes wrote:
And a Vespa can easily carry a case of beer between your feet. Try that on a motorcycle
Gotta keep the non-Vespisti in your group from getting too parched.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
The zeroth commandment: It's got a curry hook.
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
The zeroth commandment: It's got a curry hook.
And as we all know, this is indeed life changing and quickly becomes essential.

How does one really go through life without a curry hook?
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
giallo wrote:

I often see motorcyclists out on the road and inside my full face helmet that I can store conveniently under my seat, shed a tear for them and their unfulfilled curryless lives.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
Forty years ago my brother and I bought a Hobie Cat sailboat from a guy who had lost his foot in a motorcycle accident.

Not getting your foot crushed against the engine in a side impact is a good thing.

Bill
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
On Saturday, about 20 of us are going on a 200+ mile ride on our scoots, with another half dozen on motorcycles. We do a few of these a year and 300 miles in a day isn't unheard of. Most will require some freeway time, usually at the end to get home at a reasonable hour.
giallo wrote:

It can be done.
It can be done.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
The 300 Vespa is a perfect capable touring scooter. If you are determined enough, you can tour with less. In 1915, Effie Hotchkiss bought a Harley Davidson with a side car attached and she, with her mother as sidecar passenger, rode from Brooklyn, NY to San Francisco. Bear in mind, roads where not so go back then. When they finished up in San Fran, they drove back to Brooklyn. The machine was a V-twin, 61 cu/in three speed with (wait for it) 11 horse power. Yes, 11! I would have loved to met her, she must have been a force of nature.
@bukwheatus avatar
UTC

Liberty 150S Typhoon 2T (gone) ET2 (multiple, gone) Sprint 150S (gone) 60's smallframe (gone) Bravo (64mph, gone), Ciao (gone)

@bukwheatus avatar
Liberty 150S Typhoon 2T (gone) ET2 (multiple, gone) Sprint 150S (gone) 60's smallframe (gone) Bravo (64mph, gone), Ciao (gone)
UTC quote
Until around 2016, I was a dealer in vintage motorcycles. If you scratch out the handful of enduros that I had as a child, I've easily owned over 200 and probably just as many mopeds and scooters. My last restoration build was a Tonti framed Guzzi bitsa and that will likely be my last. Sans intensive repair work, scooters are much easier to live with and more enjoyable to ride, IMO.
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GT200

Hooked
Vespa GT200
UTC quote
Great points and while I love my Vespa, dollar for dollar and power a MC is considerably better value.
Vespa profit margins must be very high. Thousands above similarly powered motorcycles 300 cc.
UTC

Hooked
2007 Vespa 250 GTS

Hooked
2007 Vespa 250 GTS
UTC quote
I think of my Vespa as a cross over or hybrid even, It offers the fun and economy of 2 wheels and some of the creature comforts and safety of a car. The step through offers protection from weather and from "foreign objects" that would inflict sever damage to your legs. For me a certain amount of mental therapy is a wonderful thing to enjoy while riding.
Tony in Tn
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
Nancy80 wrote:
Great points and while I love my Vespa, dollar for dollar and power a MC is considerably better value.
Vespa profit margins must be very high. Thousands above similarly powered motorcycles 300 cc.
You get what you pay for when you buy a Vespa.

They are worth every penny.

As long as you ride and take car of them, they return nothing but joy.

Bill
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GT200

Hooked
Vespa GT200
UTC quote
WLeuthold wrote:
You get what you pay for when you buy a Vespa.

They are worth every penny.
For a used one for sure. Brand new? THOUSANDS above similarly powered vehicles? If you have money to burn, sure.
I'll never buy a brand new Vespa. Especially with the increase in price. Hundreds more than last year. Too difficult to justify. A brand motorcycle is a more reasonable expenditure when comparing apples to apples.
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS

Molto Verboso
@pigletpilot avatar
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS
UTC quote
Nancy80 wrote:
For a used one for sure. Brand new? THOUSANDS above similarly powered vehicles? If you have money to burn, sure.
I'll never buy a brand new Vespa. Especially with the increase in price. Hundreds more than last year. Too difficult to justify. A brand motorcycle is a more reasonable expenditure when comparing apples to apples.
But SOMEONE has to buy the new ones so there are second hand ones available. A Vespa is a Vespa is a Vespa. Nothing compares whether it costs $1000 or $10000, they are a style icon that has a cachet about it. If it was simple everyone would be doing it. If a new one is too expensive for you, and it is for me, value the people who can afford to buy new and benefit from it later.
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GT200

Hooked
Vespa GT200
UTC quote
pigletpilot wrote:
But SOMEONE has to buy the new ones so there are second hand ones available. A Vespa is a Vespa is a Vespa. Nothing compares whether it costs $1000 or $10000, they are a style icon that has a cachet about it. If it was simple everyone would be doing it. If a new one is too expensive for you, and it is for me, value the people who can afford to buy new and benefit from it later.
I was speaking strictly from a logical point of view. Vespa isn't the same value as similarly powered motorcycles.

To your point I've saved thousands by buying second hand. I would buy brand new but can't justify the premium.

The heart wants what it wants which isn't always logical. That's how Vespa gets away with charging a premium. As long as people pay it they will charge it.

Like I said I love mine.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Nancy80 wrote:
I was speaking strictly from a logical point of view. Vespa isn't the same value as similarly powered motorcycles.
Yeah but check out the resale prices you can get.

The ole, "I know what I have"
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
Nancy80 wrote:
Those motorcycles have a much cheaper frame construction.
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GT200

Hooked
Vespa GT200
UTC quote
giallo wrote:
Those motorcycles have a much cheaper frame construction.
They're both metal!?
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
UTC quote
pigletpilot wrote:
Due to circumstances beyond my control, I regret not having one properly used Vespa to offer my fellow Vespistas.
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
UTC quote
Nancy80 wrote:
They're both metal!?
What he means is they cost more to produce, not that they're better.
@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
UTC quote
amateriat wrote:
Due to circumstances beyond my control, I regret not having one properly used Vespa to offer my fellow Vespistas.
Not so famous quotes:

"I regret that I have but one Vespa to give for my country"
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GT200

Hooked
Vespa GT200
UTC quote
kz1000ST wrote:
What he means is they cost more to produce, not that they're better.
I thought he was referring to why the premium price.👍
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
UTC quote
Nancy80 wrote:
That too.
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GT200

Hooked
Vespa GT200
UTC quote
kz1000ST wrote:
That too.
Therefore dollar for dollar a MC is still better value. Just not as cool looking imo.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
Obviously, folks on this forum are understandably captured by the
allure of Vespa. Me three!

I kind of like all two wheelers. I only disliked the Harley Sportster because
it had, for me, crappy handling characteristics.

Sell everything - keep the Vespa.

Bob Copeland
@bukwheatus avatar
UTC

@bukwheatus avatar
UTC quote
Bob Copeland wrote:
Obviously, folks on this forum are understandably captured by the
allure of Vespa. Me three!

I kind of like all two wheelers. I only disliked the Harley Sportster because
it had, for me, crappy handling characteristics.

Sell everything - keep the Vespa.

Bob Copeland
Agreed 100%

With the exception of the 60's/70's Italian Aero/Harleys, I'd never buy one.
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
Nancy80 wrote:
A monocoque frame, as in the case with Vespas, is not as easy to produce and therefore also more expensive.

Saying that a Vespa is not as good a value as an insert-brand-here cheap[er] motorcycle does not make much sense, as it is a premium product and rather unique as well. That in the end is also reflected in the price.

I doubt that Vespa marks up their products way above what is standard in the industry. They seem to fall in just a normal range with that.

You could also say that a Chevy is a better value than a Porsche or Morgan three-wheeler, but then you would be comparing apples to oranges just the same.

Riding motorcycles and scooters is more expensive than having a car, does it make them a bad value? Only you can judge what fits your personal needs and financial situation. But personal is the keyword here.
⚠️ Last edited by giallo on UTC; edited 1 time
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
UTC quote
giallo wrote:
A monocoque frame, as in the case with Vespas, is not as easy or cheap to produce and therefore also more expensive.

Saying that a Vespa is not as good a value as an insert-brand-here cheap[er] motorcycle does not make much sense, as it is a premium product and rather unique as well. That in the end is also reflected in the price.

I doubt that Vespa marks up their products way above what is standard in the industry. They seem to fall in just a normal range with that.

You could also say that a Chevy is a better value than a Porsche or Morgan three-wheeler, but then you would be comparing apples to oranges just the same.

Riding motorcycles and scooters is more expensive than having a car, does it make them a bad value? Only you can judge what fits your personal needs and financial situation. But personal is the keyword here.
Exactly. It's what sells Harley Davidson. They cost more to produce and appeal to the personality of their buyers. Are they better because of their premium price. I leave that to the owners since outsiders might not agree.
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GT200

Hooked
Vespa GT200
UTC quote
giallo wrote:
Makes perfect sense.

Examples (in Canada)
Honda Rebel 300 $6,249
Vespa GTS300 $8,295
Over $2,000 more excluding PDI etc.

A Royal Enfield Meteor $6,799
More power at 350 cc's and still $1,500 cheaper.

Similarly for the Classic at $6,229. Still a 350 and over $2,000 cheaper.

These are comparable in quality, if not better. Especially the Honda. RE has improved immensely the past few years.

So, again Piaggio is making a hefty profit margin. There is nothing wrong with that but many MC's are a better buy.

For these reasons I'd consider a new MC but not new Vespa.

Still, I love my Vespa.
@coddy avatar
UTC

Addicted
2021 GTS 300 Supersport, Triumph Tiger 800

Addicted
@coddy avatar
2021 GTS 300 Supersport, Triumph Tiger 800
UTC quote
The Royal Enfield Meteor is actually less powerfull than the GTS 300 at 20bhp and is slower with a max speed 70mph.

Then when you add up the other advantages of the Vespa I don't think the 2K price difference is excessive.
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
UTC quote
Coddy wrote:
The Royal Enfield Meteor is actually less powerfull than the GTS 300 at 20bhp and is slower with a max speed 70mph.

Then when you add up the other advantages of the Vespa I don't think the 2K price difference is excessive.
The Honda Rebel is more powerful. As is the Honda CB500 series which cost the same as a 300 Vespa. And they're Hondas. Can I also mention the z400 and Ninja 400 which are light years faster and cost less than a 150 Vespa OTD.

No. Buying a Vespa at any displacement is a "Personal" expression like buying a Harley. A Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager goes for $20k, a similar Harley for $30k.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0099s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0031s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]