@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS300 HPE/2022 Triumph Rocket 3R

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
UTC quote
I've experienced a growing interest in the smaller displacement mc's over the past several years, and found a minty used BMW GS310 up the road at a dealership the other day, and went for a short ride on it.

I liked that it is what I would call an 'adult-sized' bike for such a diminutive engine class, at least for a motorcycle, but I was so disappointed in its engine that I turned it around at about my planned ride's midway point and returned it to the shop.

The single cylinder engine's vibration felt through the bars, tank, and back portion of the seat beginning at around the sixty mph point was very distracting and would be intolerable (to me, at least) over time and miles to the point that most highway riding would be a quite unpleasant activity.

It had none of the refinement and smoothness of my GTS300, and even though it was rated at 34 hp, I don't sense that it is significantly quicker or more powerful than my 24 hp Vespa is.

I'm sure that the 310 GS would be a better choice for some mild off-road riding, but I never find myself off of the pavement anyway, so it's a moot point.

I wanted to like the littlest Beemer, but it just wasn't to be, but I at least was able to eliminate it from any future consideration.

Next week, I'm going to ride a used Yamaha Versus 300 from another local shop, and compare it to the BMW 310...and of course, to my Vespa 300.

I know the BMW 310 is popular among it's owners, and that's a good thing, but it's not for me.

It's certainly a good-looking little unit though....
BMW 310 GS
BMW 310 GS
@shebalba avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 GTS250, Ducati Monster M900, KTM 390 Adventure, Honda CR125

Molto Verboso
@shebalba avatar
2009 GTS250, Ducati Monster M900, KTM 390 Adventure, Honda CR125
UTC quote
You should look at the KTM 390 Adventure. It is also a single cylinder, but very spirited as it's built off a 390 Duke. I believe it puts out 44hp and while there will be some vibration it will easily cruise at freeway speeds.
OP
@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
UTC quote
Shebalba wrote:
You should look at the KTM 390 Adventure. It is also a single cylinder, but very spirited as it's built off a 390 Duke. I believe it puts out 44hp and while there will be some vibration it will easily cruise at freeway speeds.
I'll give one a try one of these days, just to broaden my sampling of the current crop of small machines if nothing else.

I must admit that the styling and orange/white colors of the KTM line of bikes is a bit off-putting to me, and I've never been able to muster much enthusiasm for the brand as a result. Yes, I'm that shallow, but the thing that first drew me to my GTS300 was it's beautiful form, and I purchased it with zero practical experience with the scooter, and happily, it's function and performance match it's visual appearance, and owning it has turned out to be one of the best 'win-win'
motorbike purchases I've ever made, even if I still can't convince my wife of that fact.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
Hard to find a ~300cc single that would feel as refined as Vespa.

Stylewise: Husqvarna Svartpilen has the same 390cc engine as KTM..not as practical though. It is a spirited, fun engine, but not totally vibration free. I've ridden only the Husqvarna myself.

Funny that smoothness - I just returned a rental BMW F900XR. While the specs are superior to my own Triumph Bonneville T120, I missed both the engine refinement (T120 has better fuelling at slow speeds & less vibrations) and low end torque Still ,XR was a fun, easy and very agile bike, can't deny that.
@gtdespatchcourier avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300ie

Molto Verboso
@gtdespatchcourier avatar
GTS 300ie
UTC quote
Give a Kawasaki Versys-X 300 a try. It's a revvy engine, but a nice smooth parallel twin.
OP
@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
UTC quote
GTdespatchcourier wrote:
Give a Kawasaki Versys-X 300 a try. It's a revvy engine, but a nice smooth parallel twin.
About a month ago, I snagged a test ride on a Kawasaki Z400, and without a doubt, the smaller Kawasaki twins are marvelous engines, and, to me, especially the 400's.

I came VERY close to trading my RE Continental GT in for that little Kaw, but my wife talked me out of it.

They are very smooth motors throughout their rev range, and at about 47 hp, have good performance that gives them a practical, 'real world' versatility.

So far, the 400cc Kawasakis are my favorite small motorcycles, and I'm likely to own one before too long.
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250
UTC quote
I've owned Kawasakis since 1974. Except for my 1974 500 two stroke they have all been fairly civilized but strong. The two stroke was a beast. The z400 is on my mental list if I don't succumb to a CF Moto 450 or the new QJ Motor 450 sport bike.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
I believe that both the BMW and the KTM are built in India.

I quite like a bit of vibration. It shows that something is happening.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0136s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0049s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]