OP
UTC

Hooked
2020 Piaggio Liberty S 150, 2016 Vespa GTV300ie, 2009 Yamaha C3

Hooked
UTC quote
Even though I have over 10k miles logged in the past 2+ years, I still feel like very much a new rider... And I managed to get BOTH my scoots dropped this weekend.

I'm short (5'2"), my GTV is tall for me but I make do because she's gorgeous, but I also have a Liberty 150 which fits me much better. Anyways, I always find the Vespa to be moderately intimidating until I get used to riding her each season, after a month or so I'm good, but right now she scares me...

I've been riding the Liberty off and on over the winter, but this weekend was the first outing for the big Vespa. And wouldn't you know, I got home after dinner from our first ride of the season, I stopped on some uneven ground, my legs weren't long enough to keep her up, and down we went from a standstill.

At the unfortunate same time, my BF was following us on my Liberty, saw us go down, immediately hopped off and put the Liberty on the center stand to help me...seconds later, my Liberty went down too, as it was set up on soft ground. 😒🀯

Both scooters are fine, some minor scuffing which will probably buff out, but can I just tell you, it's emotionally irritating as all get-out... This is not how I planned my season to start!!
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS

Molto Verboso
@pigletpilot avatar
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS
UTC quote
Bugger πŸ’© not the way to start the riding season.
UTC

Hooked
'06 GTS 250; '18 GTS 300; '21 Liberty 150

Hooked
'06 GTS 250; '18 GTS 300; '21 Liberty 150
UTC quote
CNVH - good on you for riding the big iron.

I dropped my GTS a few years ago, just scratches but very visible, makes me sad every time I approach the bike from that side. Just need to find a body shop that can make that look OK from 15' away

(Kicking myself for not buying / installing the guards, they were always on the improvement list....)

So I share your pain the struggle is real

Ride safe!
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Take it as lessons learned - uneven ground, soft areas, wet grass, loose gravel, etc.... it's just part of riding. Plan ahead if you can for stopping, wear riding shoes/boots that can protect as well as give you some lift. And don't worry about it as it's happened to everyone. Good luck.
@bearcat avatar
UTC

Hooked
Primavera 150, Honda NHX110

Hooked
@bearcat avatar
Primavera 150, Honda NHX110
UTC quote
Sorry to hear about the drop. It certainly is a sick feeling when it happens, but things happen. No matter how good we think we are! The important part is no injury occured. It's hard when you have something nice and seeing those scratches and dings. I'll share my story:

I have a Yamaha FJ09 street bike and managed to drop it at the gas pump while putting it on the center stand. Facepalm emoticon Having climbed off of it and with a slight case of rubber legs. I lost control of the stand "procedure" on the slight incline, the weight in the right pannier helped pull the bike beyond the lateral CG and over she went! My scrawny butt hung onto the handlebar to slow the drop. In a split second a million things raced through my mind. It occurred to me to just let go, thinking this is how you blow your back out. I was just sick and embarrassed. Mr. Seasoned Rider dumps one! The pannier took all of the scratch damage and I was left with a bruised ego. Headache emoticon Got off easy and managed to do the bike lift procedure by safely walking it back up.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
cnvh,

Maybe everyone here has dropped a scoot. It seems looking back, it
is kind of a relief. Well, done that and now I am over that.

You are right. I did to quick of a stop on my new 2022 Kymco AD550.
The shocks compressed down then up and half threw me off.
I did try to keep it up right, and yes, strained the heck out of my
side.

I broke the left rearview mirror off and two small scuffs on the plastic.
Again - Well. done that and now I am over that.

Ride of friend.

Bob Copeland
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Thanks all, it feels good hearing that this has even happened to those way more experienced than me. Laughing emoticon

This was the THIRD time my Vespa has gone down... The first time was turning into a parking lot that had just been laid with gravel, it was easily 5-6" deep LOOSE gravel, once my front tire hit that we went down like it was quicksand. My much-more-experienced friends were riding behind me and they said afterwards that whichever of us was the lead would have gone down in that gravel, it was awful. (They might have been trying to make me feel better, but honestly I don't see how they could be wrong, it was like walking on a beach!)

Second time I wasn't even on it; I had walked it to a spot off the side of my driveway, tried to put it up on the center stand, didn't realize the ground underneath wasn't stable, and it kinda slow-fell on top of me. Come to think of it, that was the same spot my BF dropped my Piaggio the other night, lol...

Ah well...every oops is a learning experience, needless to say I'm now hyper-aware of uneven, unstable terrain!!
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
When I had my first scooter, an LX150 I turned too sharply on my sloped driveway and dropped it. Horribly embarrassed, should have known better, I was barely moving, & etc. Over the next decade, I managed to drop both of the newer scooters I'd added to my stable.

I used to be eager to put that stuff behind me, but I embrace it now....it helps to know that a considerable percentage of riders have done the same, and other dumb things to boot....
@vintagescooterdude avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 GT200 2009 Genuine Stella

Hooked
@vintagescooterdude avatar
2006 GT200 2009 Genuine Stella
UTC quote
Both my Vespa GT200 and Genuine Stella (pretty much the same as a Vespa PX150) have seats that would be too high for me to get on and off of if not for the stepthrough frames, though I'm ok once I get on. I have bad knee and hip joints, and cannot get my leg over a tall seat. I recently sold my dual sport motorcycle because I could no longer get on and off without standing on something. I did drop my Stella several years ago, on the right side, in a parking lot in front of a convenience store. It was about 115 degrees F, I was starting to get a bit dizzy from the heat, so I stopped to get something to drink. While putting it on the centerstand, the grip slipped out of my hand, and down it went. Broke the right side mirror, bent the mirror mount, damaged the right grip, and worst of all, scraped up the paint on the right cowl. I replaced all the damaged parts, but have not yet fixed the cowl. The body on a Stella is much thicker heavier metal than a modern Vespa, and it did not make a dent, it's just paint damage. I no longer ride in crazy temperatures like that, which are common during the day during the long AZ summer. That was the first and only time I have ever dropped any two wheeler besides a dirt bike.
UTC

Hooked
LX150

Hooked
LX150
UTC quote
I feel your pain, I really do. I say you're due for a long run of good luck.
I'll relate a couple of stories that I hope will make you feel better. The first has to do with the invention of the original Look clipless pedal. I worked really hard training myself to twist out instead of pulling back but years of muscle memory is a powerful thing. I remember distinctly coming to a stop in traffic and panicking as I couldn't remove my foot from the pedal. It was only as gravity took over and falling inevitable that my brain said "oh right! I have to twist out!"
Another time I loaded a brand new sports car with a roof rack and two custom made racing bikes and drove out of a parking garage. I remember reading the low ceiling sign as I was leaving and thinking "it must be okay, I drove in" forgetting I installed the rack and bikes on the ceiling of the garage. Those things happened well over thirty years ago and I haven't repeated them, so you never know.
Good luck!
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
I'm only an inch taller than you, and I used to have a GTV as well. I absolutely get it. My sympathies.
@oscarsass avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@oscarsass avatar
UTC quote
Holy cr@p - not a nice feeling, but it happens to all of us.

Managed to drop my very new ZXR400 years ago - I had just finished cleaning, polishing and lubing it… was pushing it to turn it around and slipped on some lube/soap mix. Cracked the fairing!

Oh my days, how I wept. Decades ago now, but I've learned to never clean my bike. πŸ˜‚
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
voodooskin wrote:
(Kicking myself for not buying / installing the guards, they were always on the improvement list....)
I've never dropped mine, but some asshat did knock it over parking. (I still don't understand how - I had a full driveway of clearance on either side.)

Luckily I had literally put crash bars on that week, so the damage wasn't enough to open a claim for. The most visible was a scratch on the fender that got replaced when someone cut me off in traffic a couple years later. The only remaining damage is the back of the mirror (which would be blemmed anyway from urban riding) and the grey plastic trim that never looked nice in the first place.
@coddy avatar
UTC

Addicted
2021 GTS 300 Supersport, Triumph Tiger 800

Addicted
@coddy avatar
2021 GTS 300 Supersport, Triumph Tiger 800
UTC quote
I've dropped, came off or been knocked off my Triumph Tiger at least once a year since I bought it 5 years ago.

It's no big deal, I actually dropped it last week in Englands Yorkshire Dales, I even got a round of applause from the customers watching in the Cafe.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
Dropped my old GTS 3 times.
Dropped my Supertech 2 times.
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring
UTC quote
Damn, sorry how the season for riding started out for you. Im glad that you get up and ride again after all these times you have had it fall, many would throw the towel and stop with it, kudos to you for persevering and finding the enjoyment.
I wonder if you have considered putting on a different seat or shaving off the padding on the GTV. Even a couple of inches off will make a big difference on your feet being firmly on the ground.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
baba12 wrote:
I wonder if you have considered putting on a different seat or shaving off the padding on the GTV. Even a couple of inches off will make a big difference on your feet being firmly on the ground.
I considered switching seats, but the split seat is gorgeous and a big part of what "makes" the GTV. And it's actually quite comfy for me as it is, I can go all day on it and not get sore. Being short is just a fact of life that I've had to get used to, lol.. I'm not sure it's even possible to shorten any seat enough that I could ever flat-foot!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0168s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0027s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]