OP
UTC

Member
Vespa GTS 300ie Super (2009)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 27
Location: Southeast Asia
 
Member
Vespa GTS 300ie Super (2009)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 27
Location: Southeast Asia
UTC quote
Hi everyone,

I'd like to have dual horns in my Vespa and I'm wondering if it's possible to connect the 30 terminal of the relay included with the horns to a 30 terminal of an existing relay.

I'd also like to power another device that doesn't take a lot of power. I'm thinking of connecting the device to the 30 terminal of another relay, is that ok?
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
UTC quote
Before I answer, do you understand how relays work? Understand current and amps? I just want to make sure I answer that will make sense to you. Horns can take a lot of power (and current) so you need to be careful. You do NOT want to exceed the amp rating of the circuit you tap into. The better approach is to run a separate fused circuit from the batter directly and connect that to a separate relay. Let me know your answers to the questions above. Miguel
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22531
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22531
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
UTC quote
ilovecats3000 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'd like to have dual horns in my Vespa and I'm wondering if it's possible to connect the 30 terminal of the relay included with the horns to a 30 terminal of an existing relay.

I'd also like to power another device that doesn't take a lot of power. I'm thinking of connecting the device to the 30 terminal of another relay, is that ok?
what is the amp draw for your new dual horns?
which relays are you wanting to tap from?
have you sketched out a wiring diagram for your wants/needs?
what amp draw is your other device?
OP
UTC

Member
Vespa GTS 300ie Super (2009)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 27
Location: Southeast Asia
 
Member
Vespa GTS 300ie Super (2009)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 27
Location: Southeast Asia
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
Before I answer, do you understand how relays work? Understand current and amps? I just want to make sure I answer that will make sense to you. Horns can take a lot of power (and current) so you need to be careful. You do NOT want to exceed the amp rating of the circuit you tap into. The better approach is to run a separate fused circuit from the batter directly and connect that to a separate relay. Let me know your answers to the questions above. Miguel
You can try answering and I'll do my best to make sense of it.

Ok so the general rule is to not exceed the amp rating of the circuit I'm tapping into right?
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10341
Location: Hermit Kingdom
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10341
Location: Hermit Kingdom
UTC quote
If you run a seperate and appropriately fused wire from the battery you're minimising the risk of the scooter cutting out when you press the horn button. Which is pretty much the worst possible moment for the scooter to cut out.
OP
UTC

Member
Vespa GTS 300ie Super (2009)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 27
Location: Southeast Asia
 
Member
Vespa GTS 300ie Super (2009)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 27
Location: Southeast Asia
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
what is the amp draw for your new dual horns?
which relays are you wanting to tap from?
have you sketched out a wiring diagram for your wants/needs?
what amp draw is your other device?
-11 amps
-headlamp for horns, fuel injector/fuel pump for other device
-no
-less than 5A
OP
UTC

Member
Vespa GTS 300ie Super (2009)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 27
Location: Southeast Asia
 
Member
Vespa GTS 300ie Super (2009)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 27
Location: Southeast Asia
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
If you run a seperate and appropriately fused wire from the battery you're minimising the risk of the scooter cutting out when you press the horn button. Which is pretty much the worst possible moment for the scooter to cut out.
Yes I'm running a 15A fused wire from a 30 terminal (which I presume is the same as the wire from the battery?). But I'm not sure if that's safe to do?
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22531
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22531
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
UTC quote
ilovecats3000 wrote:
-11 amps
-headlamp for horns, fuel injector/fuel pump for other device
-no
-less than 5A
11 amps for a HORN? post a link for them please, what are they train horns? hell that's more than most heated gear uses.
so your total draw is going to be 16 AMPS. I have a hard time believing that.

really need the specs on your devices. links to them please.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22531
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22531
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
UTC quote
ilovecats3000 wrote:
Yes I'm running a 15A fused wire from a 30 terminal (which I presume is the same as the wire from the battery?). But I'm not sure if that's safe to do?
no not for what your describing as a draw you adding on to it.
OP
UTC

Member
Vespa GTS 300ie Super (2009)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 27
Location: Southeast Asia
 
Member
Vespa GTS 300ie Super (2009)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 27
Location: Southeast Asia
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
11 amps for a HORN? post a link for them please, what are they train horns? hell that's more than most heated gear uses.
so your total draw is going to be 16 AMPS. I have a hard time believing that.

really need the specs on your devices. links to them please.
It's 2 Stebel TM80s: https://www.lacaraccessories.com/product/stebel-tm80-2-black-magnum-2-horn/

It's stated in another thread here that 1 Stebel TM80 is 5.5A. Each horn is connected in parallel so it makes sense that the current draw is 11A?

I don't have the specs on the other device, other than it takes a 5A fuse. Can't find any info on it on the internet.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
UTC quote
ilovecats3000 wrote:
It's 2 Stebel TM80s: https://www.lacaraccessories.com/product/stebel-tm80-2-black-magnum-2-horn/

It's stated in another thread here that 1 Stebel TM80 is 5.5A. Each horn is connected in parallel so it makes sense that the current draw is 11A?

I don't have the specs on the other device, other than it takes a 5A fuse. Can't find any info on it on the internet.
You will need to run a separate 16 Amp circuit from the battery with its own relay. You'll trigger the relay by connecting it to the horn circuit. It's straight forward. It's late here and I'm crashing. More tmw. Miguel
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22531
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22531
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
UTC quote
ilovecats3000 wrote:
It's 2 Stebel TM80s: https://www.lacaraccessories.com/product/stebel-tm80-2-black-magnum-2-horn/

It's stated in another thread here that 1 Stebel TM80 is 5.5A. Each horn is connected in parallel so it makes sense that the current draw is 11A?

I don't have the specs on the other device, other than it takes a 5A fuse. Can't find any info on it on the internet.
needs its own wiring and not tagged from another wire feed. run a new wire from the battery to your relay for them. other wise your going to overload any other circuit and melt wires. make sure you use the proper gauge feed wire to the relay. And install a fuse in the feed to the relay
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10341
Location: Hermit Kingdom
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
Joined: UTC
Posts: 10341
Location: Hermit Kingdom
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43876
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43876
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
UTC quote
You need a new circuit direct from the battery with its own inline fuse rated at 20A. The wire should be at least 2.5mm² or 14 AWG. Assuming you're getting rid of the original horn, you can use the original relay; just disconnect the wires going to 30 and 87 and add your new ones.

If you're going to keep the original horn, use a new relay altogether.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
UTC quote
In addition to the answers above, I used the schematic below to install several horns on my bikes. This approach augments the bikes wiring with almost no changes to the original wiring and the new horn is activated with the bike's horn button. If you have room, you can even leave the OEM horn installed so it honks with the new horns if you like, without danger of overloading any circuit.

This is a post I did years ago installing a Stebel on my 2009 GTV 250. Somehow the post's text seems to have disappeared from MV (prolly during a migration from one server to another) but I hope the pictures help. You can see I mounted the relay above the horn and zip tied it to an existing relay. It worked fine for more than a decade till my bike got totaled.

Miguel
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0129s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0068s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]