OP
UTC

Lurker
Vespa Sprint 50

Lurker
Vespa Sprint 50
UTC quote
Can anyone suggest a Vespa dealership to take my Vespa into for the 600 mile first time service visit. I am located in the Finger Lakes region of NY State in a Rochester Suburb, I cannot seem to find a motorcycle shop near me that would do this service.
I am a first timer on this forum and thank you.
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc

Addicted
@jakem avatar
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc
UTC quote
This gives a list of the official dealers, and those registered directly with Piaggio: https://www.vespa.com/us_EN/dealer-locator/?f=all
@vintagescooterdude avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 GT200 2009 Genuine Stella

Hooked
@vintagescooterdude avatar
2006 GT200 2009 Genuine Stella
UTC quote
Assuming you can't do it yourself, it will need to be done by a Vespa dealer. No motorcycle shop will have a clue how to work on a Vespa.
@wbdvt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'16 Sprint S 150, 2 x '06 GTS 250, '12 GTS 300, '74 Vespa 150 Super

Molto Verboso
@wbdvt avatar
'16 Sprint S 150, 2 x '06 GTS 250, '12 GTS 300, '74 Vespa 150 Super
UTC quote
Since you are needing the first 600 mile service, I assume you bought it new so why can't you take it back to the dealer you bought it from?
OP
UTC

Lurker
Vespa Sprint 50

Lurker
Vespa Sprint 50
UTC quote
Thank you all for the response and the dealer list.
I live in Rochester in NY State, but I purchased the Vespa from a dealership located in Marietta Georgia and had it shipped.
I thought I could find any motorcycle shop to do the work on it but no so.
I guess I will have to travel a bit to get it serviced at least the first time.
thank you again.
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.
UTC quote
VintageScooterDude wrote:
Assuming you can't do it yourself, it will need to be done by a Vespa dealer. No motorcycle shop will have a clue how to work on a Vespa.
It's somewhat dependent on the shop and the year of your Vespa. My local BMW dealer works on all the modern Vespa scooters up until the HPE models. They have two techs that were trained by Piaggio when they still sold Vespa scooters. Sometimes you need to ask around a bit since there seems to be turnover with techs.

Where I see the challenge is parts. They don't have a direct line for a lot of things. So when I take my scooter in I take new parts with me. There are limits though. Routine maintenance or swapping parts out is one thing. But they aren't going to attempt an engine rebuild or something serious like that.

As I consider another Vespa GTS when mine dies, part of the calculation is whether I want to haul the scooter 100 miles to an actual Vespa dealer to get service on an HPE model....
OP
UTC

Lurker
Vespa Sprint 50

Lurker
Vespa Sprint 50
UTC quote
Ahh, very good point. I will have to keep that in mind going forward.
thank you
@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS300 HPE/2022 Triumph Rocket 3R

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
UTC quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
As I consider another Vespa GTS when mine dies, part of the calculation is whether I want to haul the scooter 100 miles to an actual Vespa dealer to get service on an HPE model....
If I am unwilling or unable to do my my own 6000 mile service on my '20 GTS 300 HPE, I will have to haul it about 350 miles to get it to a servicing Vespa dealership, reserve at least one night in a hotel, and spend a buttload on gasoline for the F-150 Ford I'll have to use to get it there and back.

Or! I could figure out how to do it my, usually, lazy-ass self, and spend nearly zero $ to get it done. Probably just a lot of cursing and a few bandaids oughta do it.

On the bright side, I have about 3000 miles to go before it would be necessary.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
UTC quote
I have a local Aprilia dealer that also does "warranty" work for Piaggio/Vespa products, even though they don't sell Vespa or Piaggio scooters. Yup, they could read my engine codes and all that, and fixed my problem, but the same issue re-appeared 2 weeks later. Their next plan was to throw parts at it. I ended up trading it in on something I can service myself.

This is documented under the 'Bad light on the holidays...' thread.
@jackp avatar
UTC

Vespa GTS 300

@jackp avatar
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
I remember a few years ago there was a dealership in Fairport but unfortunately went out of business. I live in Syracuse and purchased my GTS from Brooklyn Vespa in 2018. I took my scooter to American Warehorse in Scranton, PA for some extensive work and was happy with the results. Scranton is only a 2 hour drive compared to 5 hours to Brooklyn from Syracuse.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
Jackp wrote:
I remember a few years ago there was a dealership in Fairport but unfortunately went out of business.
Maybe because people were buying their scooters out of state?
@californiacruising avatar
UTC

Addicted
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300

Addicted
UTC quote
augmanmineo wrote:
Ahh, very good point. I will have to keep that in mind going forward.
thank you
Easy to work on them, especially the fresh ones that are already running good.

Mostly common hand tools and a few inexpensive specialty tools are all that's needed.

If I had a new Vespa I'd have the dealer do the first service though.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
JBacklund wrote:
If I am unwilling or unable to do my my own 6000 mile service on my '20 GTS 300 HPE, I will have to haul it about 350 miles to get it to a servicing Vespa dealership, reserve at least one night in a hotel, and spend a buttload on gasoline for the F-150 Ford I'll have to use to get it there and back.

Or! I could figure out how to do it my, usually, lazy-ass self, and spend nearly zero $ to get it done. Probably just a lot of cursing and a few bandaids oughta do it.

A few hours of Robot's Youtube tutorials and you'll be ready to wrench, maybe there is an MV member that lives by you that could help with the first service.
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC quote
JBacklund wrote:

Man, you're shaming me to quit whining about a 100 mile trip!
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Maybe because people were buying their scooters out of state?
Nope. The couple that owned the business were retiring and couldn't find anyone to take it over. The building is near my brother's home and I pass it from time to time. They also sold BMWs.
@apsevtorontowest avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa Dealer

Hooked
@apsevtorontowest avatar
Vespa Dealer
UTC quote
Buffalo NY and suburbs usually come to Toronto for service and warranty work
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
VintageScooterDude wrote:
I don't know why you keep pushing this false narrative? there are plenty of competent techs that work at independent motorcycle shops.

many may not want to work on vespas, or scooters for that matter; but there are many, many others that are not only willing to but also welcome the work.

beyond an ECU update or ABS/ASR problem there's nothing magic about basic service on a vespa, which any independent can easily tackle.

anyway, to the OP, it always helps to ask around at shops-- sometimes they may not service scooters but they know somebody who does. the same goes for other riders.
@tinddu avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2022 gts 300 touring

Enthusiast
@tinddu avatar
2022 gts 300 touring
UTC quote
Jackp wrote:
I remember a few years ago there was a dealership in Fairport but unfortunately went out of business. I live in Syracuse and purchased my GTS from Brooklyn Vespa in 2018. I took my scooter to American Warehorse in Scranton, PA for some extensive work and was happy with the results. Scranton is only a 2 hour drive compared to 5 hours to Brooklyn from Syracuse.
yep ! it's where i purchase my 2022 gts.good place! American Warhorse in Dunmore PA
@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
UTC quote
CaliforniaCruising wrote:
.....maybe there is an MV member that lives by you that could help with the first service.
I don't think that there's another Vespa owner within 300 miles of me.

I've been living here since 1993, and I've yet to see another GTS in this end of the world, though my wife swore she saw a guy on another 300/250 in town last fall.

Kind of a Vespa version of a 'Nessie' or 'Sasquatch' sighting around here.

Maybe she was drunk.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0199s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0043s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]