OP
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 150 with Malossi 190 kit

Hooked
UTC quote
Thank you Vespa for the fiendish design that means replacing the clock battery on my LX only took 2 hours.

Anyway I got it done with a fresh battery but now the clock does not keep the correct time.

I set it with the weird combination of button presses. It displays the correct time. Next day it is out (slow) by over an hour. I thought these clocks were quartz or something and would be accurate. It was fine until the battery failed.

Display is bright and perky so what gives?
@bluside avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie

Addicted
@bluside avatar
UTC quote
Try resetting it again and make sure you do the last step of pushing the button again until you see the : flashing.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Yes maybe that is it. The scoot is not with me at the moment so will have to wait until I get back over to try that.

Thanks
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Came back to the bike today and the clock is flashing only showing half the display (horizontal split). Pressing the buttons in sequence stops the flashing for a few seconds but the display is still half horizontal. It seems fritzed. Can I reset the clock any way without removing the battery?
Can a replacement clock be installed?
Just wondering before I embark on the 2 hour simple battery replacement journey.
UTC

vespa gts

vespa gts
UTC quote
Hi, did you replace the clock battery as same model as the old one?

A voltage difference can make the quartz crystils to go wrong dramaticly.
@bluside avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@bluside avatar
UTC quote
Mikkels wrote:
Came back to the bike today and the clock is flashing only showing half the display (horizontal split). Pressing the buttons in sequence stops the flashing for a few seconds but the display is still half horizontal. It seems fritzed. Can I reset the clock any way without removing the battery?
Can a replacement clock be installed?
Just wondering before I embark on the 2 hour simple battery replacement journey.
I can almost guarantee it's the battery. Mine did the exact same thing when I replaced the battery a while ago. I couldn't figure it out. I ended up bringing the whole dash cluster to a battery store. They tested my "new" batteries that I bought and they were weak. Sold me a different one and the whole thing came to life. Many of these small batteries sit on the store shelf for years before they are sold. Usually the small button batteries do not show an expiration date like more common bigger ones.

Try to find a Renata 386 battery. Just make sure you test it before going through the trouble of replacing it.

Here is a link to the thread that I started looking for a stick on clock but ended changing out the batteries a couple of times. scroll down about halfway.

Stick on clock for LX150ie
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
after seeing what is involved in replacing the battery and realizing that I need to put my readers on to see it I put an external battery on my Vespa. Much larger and easier to read, and takes about 2 minutes to change the battery. To me a better solution.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
OK off come the bits again today and see if I can replace the battery again to get this clock going again. I like the idea of an external battery if I can get the existing clock working again.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
Some button cell batteries have a different chemistry with a slightly lower voltage. Typically hearing aid batteries with safer composition are 1.2 to 1.4v. Avoid these.
@gtdespatchcourier avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300ie

Molto Verboso
@gtdespatchcourier avatar
GTS 300ie
UTC quote
Install a sun-dial...... permanent fix, maintenance free !!
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
GTdespatchcourier wrote:
Install a sun-dial...... permanent fix, maintenance free !!
true but that does require sun
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
New development. I went to begin taking apart and display is working. I reset the clock making sure to press the top button last to get the colon flashing. Will monitor. Seems weird but I'm leaving things for now.
When I first changed the battery it kept losing time because I did not complete the last step to get the colon flashing. Left for some time like that (month). Maybe that was the cause of the crazy display. Now clock set and has kept perfect time for an hour anyway.
@outsider avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET 50 GTS250ie Sprint 150

Hooked
@outsider avatar
ET 50 GTS250ie Sprint 150
UTC quote
At my age if the clock runs slow that is okay.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Outsider wrote:
At my age if the clock runs slow that is okay.
Especially the biological clock (-:
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0185s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0098s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]