OP
UTC

300 gts

300 gts
UTC quote
Good evening all, my 300 gts is attempting to start(lights come on) but engine not quiet catching. I also have issues as sometimes it just clicks and fails to turn over( not solenoid click but rhythmic clicking from starter. Has anyone had this?
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
How old is the battery?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Dug wrote:
Good evening all, my 300 gts is attempting to start(lights come on) but engine not quiet catching. I also have issues as sometimes it just clicks and fails to turn over( not solenoid click but rhythmic clicking from starter. Has anyone had this?
Yes, I've seen this several times. It's the battery that's failed - probably with a shorted cell. What happens is this:

You press the starter button, and the relay connects the battery to the starter. The high inrush current to the starter drags down the battery voltage to below the hold-in voltage of the relay, which then disconnects. Rinse and repeat - yes, you've got a buzzer!

Remedy: Replace the battery, ensure it's fully charged before first use, then start the scooter and check the charging system is working properly (the Wiki has details). Consider replacing the starter relay, as the next problem down the line will be the starter relay either going open circuit contacts after all the arcing that happens now, or worse welds the contacts together so the starter runs all the time, regardless of any key position. This last fault will lead to a buggered battery again, so it's cheaper to replace that relay than do it later AND have to get another battery. BTDTGTTS....
OP
UTC

300 gts

300 gts
UTC quote
It's not the battery as have parallel a good battery in and fault still persists
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
UTC quote
You added a battery in parallel with a bad battery? That won't help. Remove the suspect one.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Dug wrote:
It's not the battery as have parallel a good battery in and fault still persists
No good if there's a shorted cell.

Replace.
OP
UTC

300 gts

300 gts
UTC quote
Further investigations today have revealed it's the starter pulsing even when off load from starter motor. It's rhythmically picking up and dropping out and only stops when manipulating the throttle stop, so it looks like TPS is playing up
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
Dug wrote:
Further investigations today have revealed it's the starter pulsing even when off load from starter motor. It's rhythmically picking up and dropping out and only stops when manipulating the throttle stop, so it looks like TPS is playing up
doubtful about the tps being ya problem - strongly suggest not messing with that (discussed in many threads that it's a bad thing to do)
OP
UTC

300 gts

300 gts
UTC quote
Not messing with tps as part of ecu, it will now go in for repair due to cost of item just incase I'm wrong😝
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Check the starter relay
OP
UTC

300 gts

300 gts
UTC quote
Starter relays fine, I pulled wire that goes FROM RELAY AND ECU AND PUT A WIRE TO EARTH AND BIKE STARTS LOVELY PROVING ECU OR WIRE TO ECU CAUSING DEFECT
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0097s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0015s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]