OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
This scooter is only a year old with 2000kms on the clock and has worked flawlessly until yesterday. I was riding along and noticed a tiny loss of power like a miss, thought that was weird, then about 15 seconds later the engine just cutout completely like it ran out of gas. I had plenty of fuel, still had all electrics, and trying to restart it would wind over but no ignition. Luckily I was right near the gas station so walked it over there, filled up with premium thinking maybe it was bad fuel, and once I got back on again it started like normal.

Off I go and 5 minutes later the exact same issue. Engine cuts out, and trying to restart winds over but no ignition. This time it stopped right outside a motorcycle garage and so I wheeled it in there and explain the issue. By the time the mechanic came over to check it out it started up again. He said it could be electrical if there a loose terminal or maybe fuel related.
Since it was working now he said you can leave it here and I'll charge you $200 to take a look and he's busy so it might be 2 weeks, or keep going and try and work out what is causing it.

So off I go again, and another 5 minutes the exact same thing happens. Once again it was luck because I was 2 minutes away from where I was going, so parked it up and left it there.

An hour later I come back, she starts up again no issue. This time I'm constantly watching the dash for any signs of electrical disturbance. I watch the temp gauge for heat issue, and the clock to time it, then ride home.

Next time it happens was about 20 minutes into the ride and nothing suggested electrics or heat issues, but I knew now that if I left it it would start again, and sure enough, a 3 minute break later she started up again. Then I made it home.

This is a weird one and I'm wondering if it has to do with heat because this bike has an electric fan that kicks in when it gets hot, so maybe this is failing and some sort of fail-safe heat protection is kicking in? But if so I would expect a warning light of some kind which I don't get. The fact that it works perfectly fine, then just stops after time, then starts again fine after a rest would imply a heat issue?

Any tips or help on this appreciated.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
Could be bad fuel pump. They stop when warm and then work again when it cools down. There was a bad batch of these circa 2021 in the Vespa GTS
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Thanks, I looked that up and from what others are saying it certainly sounds like that.
Because I only use this bike to ride around my local area it hardly ever gets the chance to get hot. This only happened on a trip across town with some highway riding so got a rare chance to warm up. I just took it for spin now and all is working fine but again, this is just a 10 minute ride around the neighborhood on a mild day so I definitely think it's a temperature issue.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
Also, learn to listen for the sound of the full pump priming when you turn on the ignition before you press start. If you're hearing it's when it works and not hearing it when it doesn't then ...
@mcruss avatar
UTC

Hooked
'20 GTS300 Touring, '10 GTS300 Super (sold)

Hooked
@mcruss avatar
'20 GTS300 Touring, '10 GTS300 Super (sold)
UTC quote
I had similar issues with two vehicles, a BMW GS100 PD and a '72 Triumph TR6. In the BMW case, it was a pinched fuel 'relief' line that was causing a vacuum and cutting off fuel. But it was not fuel injected so....never mind.

The TR6 had symptoms just like yours and turned out to be a clogged fuel line. It would pass enough fuel to run find for a few minutes then quit. Sit for a few minutes and start up again. Drove me nuts (short drive though, more like a put.....)
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Is vapor lock a possibility? Tank venting system plugged?
@bvbob avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan

Molto Verboso
@bvbob avatar
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan
UTC quote
Possibly the stator going south. Had this happen years ago on my BV200. Stator and coil HT wire changed and no problems since. I'd have the dealer check it out. Still under warranty?

Bob
⬆️    About 1 year elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Lurker
Beverly 400s

Lurker
Beverly 400s
UTC quote
Hello haryfish!
I have the same problem with my 2021 Beverly 400s.
Did you find out what was causing the stoppage?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0097s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0032s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]